Grand Theft Auto - Is it a sin?

My Friends convinced me to reinstall grand theft auto five. However, the reason I had uninstalled it last time was because of my struggle with impurity or (this was before I came to my faith). If I keep away from the impurity in game, but still do things such as kill random people(Gangsters, Soldiers, Civilians, etc.) and my friends, would it be considered a sin? The rationale behind me playing is that game is the only they are playing, and this is the only way to connect with them. I’d much rather play Call of Duty, Halo, or Battlefield.

Well, listen to the others on this thread for their comments. But, as Saint Padre Pio most infamously stated:

“Pray, hope, and don’t worry. Worry is useless…” :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quote. :slight_smile: I would as well steal in the game.

I could tell you that no, playing GTAV is not a sin. But I can’t tell you that because I don’t know how it affects you, spiritually.

I can only say that I can’t remember a time when I’ve ever a video game really have any real impact on me, one way or another. And in games that have offered me moral choices, I’ve taken some questionable ones if outright wrong one’s. I understand a game is not reality and that my character isn’t me.

Playing such a game is not inherently sinful. But, out of all the possible games, is this the kind of game that a Christian should be playing? No.

I’m just curious how many people will see the title, not know it’s a game, and say, “Of course stealing a car is a sin!” :rotfl:

Why need we subject ourselves to things that are not good, true, or beautiful?

There are better ways to have recreation.

We need to pray much, love the Lord and our neighbor much.

Do all for the glory of the Blessed Trinity, so that our light will shine and others will want what we have.

Hi Upgrade25,

Unfortunately in GTA V, it’s unavoidable (GTA IV wasn’t good either, but not as bad as GTA V), the sexualizing and especially the taking of the Lords name in vain is everywhere, all through it, even in free roam while trying to avoid it, which is why I decided that I wouldn’t buy it or play it.

I too wanted to play free roam with my friends. :frowning:

I don’t know why they feel the need to add such vulgar material, blasphemy (note too, it’s only our Lord Jesus Christ’s name they constantly take in vain, all through it from civilians all the time in free roam) and sexualizing to what otherwise would be a good game.

But yea, I stick to games like Battlefield, Star Wars Battlefront and Call of Duty (Sometimes ‘The Division’ but it was a bit of a waste of money imo, hate the ‘leveling’ aspect, where time played = winner, rather than skill, chance and thinking on ones feet).

Especially if you struggle with impurity, GTA V is a big deal breaker, will not help you at all and I would strongly recommend not reinstalling it.

(My brother purchased a copy of GTA V so I trialed his version, and found while trying to avoid the vulgar material, language and especially sexualizing content, it was unavoidable, my brother doesn’t play it anymore, and I’m glad I didn’t waste any money on it and I don’t want to encourage my friends playing it by me playing it with them).

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

lol, Yes Upgrade25, it’s a sin to steal someone’s car. :stuck_out_tongue:

God Bless

Josh

I’ve never played the game but have heard about and seen its content. The extreme nature of the game puts it into somewhat murky moral and ethical waters. Personally, I feel there is enough violence in the world without recreating it in games which are supposedly a ‘leisure’ activity.

Perhaps more to the point, and forgive me if I’m wrong, but under your posts it states that you are a 14 year old - in the UK GTA is limited to those aged 18 and over. Those guidelines and restrictions are there for a reason and you do have a duty to abide by the law of the land. I realise many under 18s do play the game but that does not make it right. Playing such games when you are still growing to maturity may have an adverse psychological effect.

It’s not stealing, it will respawn, brand new, shortly afterwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

My Friends convinced me to reinstall grand theft auto five. However, the reason I had uninstalled it last time was because of my struggle with impurity or (this was before I came to my faith). If I keep away from the impurity in game, but still do things such as kill random people(Gangsters, Soldiers, Civilians, etc.) and my friends, would it be considered a sin? The rationale behind me playing is that game is the only they are playing, and this is the only way to connect with them. I’d much rather play Call of Duty, Halo, or Battlefield.

Brother,

Don’t play those games, I stopped playing gta 5 a while back.

Peace,

Andrew

Try to fill your life with things that uplift you and edify your faith. Can GTA do this? Probably not but reflect on this for yourself.

The problem I think, is for starters, most of the ratings for video games are largely ignored, especially when they are unenforceable and you simply buy them online and download them.

Secondly, some ratings are a bit of a joke imo, for example a game called L4D2 received a R18+ rating same as GTA V, however, it is nothing like GTA V and I wouldn’t have any qualms with under 18’s (Say 14+ or something) playing L4D2 (it is gory, as zombies are, but in a very funny way and not a realistic way), but I would if they played GTA V and not just under 18’s but over 18’s too.

For example, Battlefield 4 has a ‘M’ rating, which is 17+ I think, and I would have no qualms with under 17’s playing it.

Thirdly, many parents are ignorant about what is in video games and that is what I think is the biggest problem, because they don’t know what their kids are playing or being exposed to.

I think many people make the mistake of thinking GTA V is immoral for stealing cars and running over pedestrians (accident :p) and shooting at each other etc, however, none of that stuff is a problem imo because it’s all fake simulation and is clearly not real, nor confusing with the real.

The big problems I found with it, was the sexualized content, vulgar material and especially the blasphemy which is constant, all the way through it and unavoidable which constantly takes only our Lord Jesus Christ’s name in vain.

Other than those three things, It would be a good game I think.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

I don’t like it but my friends… I just am stuck playing solo games and could be playing free roam.

I would find another game, If you have Call of Duty, playing multiplayer zombies would be very fun with your friends (especially if you can download mods like new zombie maps to play with your friends, I did that with CoDWAW and it was great fun), even a private multiplayer match with your friends would be great fun, there are also other games too, but with GTA V, you cannot avoid the vulgar material, blasphemy and sexual content.

I would strongly recommend not playing GTA V and deleting it from your PC.

I know It’s hard and you want to believe that it can be ‘okay’, because I was even looking forward to playing GTA V with my friends, and I was very annoyed to find they included such content into it. Especially if you are only 14, GTA V is a very bad idea and I would strongly recommend not playing it and I would say the same thing even if you were over 18.

Also, think of your friends, you playing it will in turn encourage them to play it, which is simply poring fuel onto the fire. More and more people will be exposed to the sexual content, vulgar material and blasphemy of our Lord Jesus Christ which are all very detrimental things, which cannot be avoided no matter how you play GTA V.

I hope this has helped.

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

That is not very logical reasoning.

I don’t like drinking, but all my friends do.
I don’t like cursing, but all my friends do.

Do you see what I am getting at? Especially if you don’t like it, don’t do it.

Another thing…
Since people on this thread have said this game is sexualized, given your other threads about your problems, do you really think this game playing is a good idea for you?

Again, find something to do that will get you out of your room, and out into the world.

Guess I could finish the Halo series(on reach and 2, finished 5) then work on my Zombies skills. As well as learn Syriac.

The only thing I could thing that could induce sin in Grand Theft Auto is the scantily clad females in the game.

It wouldn’t be a sin. It is just a video game. It is not real.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.