Grandmother who objected to gay march is accused of hate crime

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222861/Pensioner-complained-gay-pride-march-warned-police-hate-crime.html

After witnessing a gay pride march, committed Christian Pauline Howe wrote to the council to complain that the event had been allowed to go ahead.

But instead of a simple acknowledgement, she received a letter warning her she might be guilty of a hate crime and that the matter had been passed to police.
Two officers later turned up at the frightened grandmother’s home and lectured her about her choice of words before telling her she would not be prosecuted.

Well atleast they didn’t prosecute her. Thats good, right?

Anyone know what the letter actually said? It seems like that’s the core of the story.

I would be interested to know what the letter said as well, but if all she did was protest the march in writing and was visited by the police, that’s a big problem.

Dear livi,

The grandmother, Mrs Pauline Howe, a committed Christian and wife of a Baptist minister, wrote to her local council to complain that a ‘gay pride’ march had been allowed to go ahead. According to the UK Daily Mail she dispatched a letter to the council describing the march as a “public display of indecency” that was “offensive to God”. She wrote: “It is shameful that this small but vociferous lobby should be allowed such a display unwarranted by the minimal number of homosexuals”.

Her letter went on to correctly describe homosexuals as “sodomites” and that homosexuality had “contributed to the downfall of every empire” and added that “gay sex was a major cause of sexually transmitted infections”.

Mrs Howe told the UK Sunday Telegraph that her comments were an expression of her beliefs, not homophobia.

Surely people must be at liberty to express their deeply held Christian convictions, even if they are unpopular with some, to government departments without fear of being informed on to the police.

The letter was not printed in its entirety in the press.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

The gay rights group, Stonewall, has described Ms. Howe’s treatment as “disproportionate.”

And the Christian Institute, a Christian advocacy group, "is investigating whether the council and the police have breached Mrs Howe’s rights to free speech and religious liberty under the Human Rights Act."
telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6424895/Pensioner-questioned-by-police-after-complaining-about-gay-pride-march.html

I’m going to guess she made threats in the letter - if not, that’s ridiculous. But this is England - right? They don’t have the exact same free speech laws or whatever we have, so it’s a different situation.

Dear siamesecat,

There is no suggestion that Mrs. Howe used any threatening language regarding homosexuals in her letter to the council.

In her own words: “The officers (police) told me that my letter was thought to be an intention of hate but I was espressing views as a Christian”.

The Coucil’s deputy chief executive, Bridget Buttinger, said it was the local authority’s “duty…to eliminate discrimination of all kinds”. She continued: “The content of your letter has been assessed as potential hate related because of the views you expressed towards people of a certain sexual orientation”.

The Norfolk P.D. defended their treatment of Mrs howe, saying: “We investigate all alleged hate incidents. In this instance the individual concerned was visited by officers, the comments discussed, and no further action was taken”.

It seems reasonable to assume that had there been any menacing threats the outcome would have been very different and charges would have been prefered.

The situation is indeed fast becoming very intolerable for Christians in the UK vis-a-vis homosexuality and freedom of speech and religious rights issues. Even to declare that homosexuality is a sin and “acts of grave deparavity…contrary to the natural law” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, parra. 2357)) is to risk being branded ‘homophobic’ and guilty of ‘hate crimes’. What a sad state of affairs in a once great Christian country like England!

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

The US still has the “freeest” speech laws of the Western countries, and hopefully that stays.

This Rock did a very good piece on “hate speech” last year.

catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0812fea1.asp

This seems to be an attempt to suppress free speech in the interests of political correctness–even in a private letter expressing personal opinion. I hope that the UK (and the US) will not succumb to such attempts at suppression of free speech.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.