Grape juice and crackers?

Is it a sin to eat the grape juice and crackers offered during Protestant services as long as I know the distinction between that and the true Eucharist?

I think it could be sinful only in the sense that by your action of stepping forward and receiving those things with Protestants, you are committing an action that validates an incorrect teaching of the Eucharist. So I would avoid it, but I would much recommend consulting a priest or seeing what another knowledgeable person here says.

If you are aware that it is false, then yes. Especially if you are in the process of becoming Catholic.

Besides the belief that the Eucharist (with a valid Priest), receiving the Eucharist also represents saying that you are in communion with that group. If you are becoming a Catholic, then you cannot also say you are in communion with another non-Catholic group.

(as a side bar, I can’t figure out how some people got grape juice when the Bible very specifically says wine, and also taking into account Christ’s first miracle).

Are you a baptized Catholic? If so, then eating the grape juice and crackers (even knowing they are only ‘symbolic’ to the Protestant group) is not something that Catholics may do according to Canon Law. A non-Catholic or non-Orthodox (their Eucharist is valid but they usually refuse to permit reception by Catholics OR Protestants) ‘Eucharist’ is not the valid Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity. . .and your ‘reception’ of a Protestant concept of eucharist, even if nobody ‘knows’ you are a Catholic, would make the appearance and would in fact be a demonstration that you, personally, in receiving that ‘communion’ are IN communion, and in agreement, with all that the Protestant group teaches. And that is not the truth. . .Catholics and Protestants are not in full communion with each other and do not accept many teachings of the other as ‘true.’

If you were not aware of this, you did not knowingly sin.

But now that you are aware, simply refrain from receiving ‘their’ communion and offer a prayer that one day we may ‘all be one’ in the fullness of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. And remember you are still welcome to attend services at a Protestant Church provided that you make sure to fulfill your obligation to attend Mass on all Sundays (or Saturday vigil Mass) and Holy Days.

It’s my understanding that grape juice was introduced to allow those who were addicted to alcohol, or had a low tolerance for it, to take part in the Lord’s Supper.

This is true.

Some protestant divisions have gone as far as to say the matieral is not important, as long as the intent is good. I saw one youth group do it with fritos and water.

Yes, it is.

Catholics are NOT to receive communion in any non-Catholic ecclesial community. Catholcis may only receive communion from a Catholic priest, or in special circumstances from a priest outside the Catholic Church who has valid Holy Orders.

For reference, see Canon Law and the papal encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia.

Actually, yes.

Pope John Paul the Great explains this (along with a great many other things) in his encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia (Note especially sections 43-46).

Take a look and then act accordingly because you do not want to mislead anyone that you believe something that you do not.

A person who has has an addiction problem to alcohol needs only to receive the Lord’s body (bread) at the Eucharist to receive our Lord completely.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states; 'Christ is present whole and entire in each of the species and whole and entire in each of their parts, in such a way that the breaking of the bread does not divide Christ’ (CCC 1377).

Same way that people get “Jesus had no siblings” when the Bible clearly mentions his brothers. Twist and torture scripture enough and you can get it to say almost anything. :shrug:

Why? Where did Jesus say “Do this in memory of me, except if you can’t drink it then you can use grape juice”. That’s what mustum is for. It’s still “wine”, but only the minimum amount needed for it to be wine. As pointed out above, you don’t have to receive both anyways, and mustum would only be used if you are both gluten intolerant and alcohol intolerant (or in the case where the priest is alcohol intolerant).

We simply have no right to change the substances that were used by Christ at the Last Supper (unleavened wheaten bread and grape wine). It’s the same reason why we can’t have gluten-free hosts.

Except for the fact that everything else says that he didn’t (and the whole part about the word “brothers” could also mean “cousin” in that region). Wine was known to be part of the Passover meal (like the Last Supper) in addition to the scriptural information.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.