grape juice

I attended Ash Wednesday Mass at a parish I normally do not attend as it was closer to my office. I noticed at communion that the Blood of Christ seemed to be grape juice not wine. This happened to be a Mass attended by the parish grade school. Is using grape juice OK? :confused:

Nope.

[quote=joenlee]I attended Ash Wednesday Mass at a parish I normally do not attend as it was closer to my office. I noticed at communion that the Blood of Christ seemed to be grape juice not wine. This happened to be a Mass attended by the parish grade school. Is using grape juice OK? :confused:
[/quote]

Just to clarify-- you said it “seemed to be grape juice”. Did you receive communion from the cup, and you realized it was in fact grape juice, or are you saying there was some other indication that it might have been juice and not wine?

I took communion from the cup and it tasted like grap juice.

Having not been there, I can say that some wines are extremely sweet. But that would be very wrong to serve grape juice.

[quote=joenlee]I took communion from the cup and it tasted like grap juice.
[/quote]

Like someone else said, having not been there I can not help you but to say perhaps it was a very sweet wine that has just enough alcohol in it to be considered wine and not juice - mustum? Something like that. Anyway it is a wine that is approved for use by alcoholic Priests at the Masses that they say.

I don’t know what that kind of wine would taste like either so I am more likely to go with the benefit of the doubt and say it was an extremely sweet wine that was low alcohol instead of grape juice unless I could get more info than just what my tongue told me it was.

To be clear, grape juice is not allowed, special low alcohol wine is.

Brenda

We had to attend weekly mass at my grade school and they never gave US grape juice! :mad:

I still do not like wine to this day.

Might just have been wine that was a bit weak or watered down or not a high alcohol content or something? Ask the priest about it.

It would not be the first time invalid matter invalidated the sacrament (far from it). The Church has been clear on this from time immemorial: the blood of Christ must be consecrated from the fermented fruit of the vine. Welch’s Grape Juice, where it is served in tiny vials, belongs with the low Protestants.

I frankly do not understand why people are drinking from a common cup (which is especiallly dangerous if there is no alcohol in it to protect from germs), when it is also the clear teaching of the Church that Christ is present in his entirety in both species and that one or the other or both is always sufficient for full communion.

[quote=joenlee]I took communion from the cup and it tasted like grap juice.
[/quote]

A lot of parishes do use grape juice and confect the hosts with cinnamon, honey, raisons and other ingredients to make them taste better. Now these are clear violations of the rules but hey, it’s our church and we can d…m well do what we want :thumbsup: .

After all it’s all about us isn’t it???

Welch’s Grape Juice, where it is served in tiny vials, belongs with the low Protestants.

Welch’s is also used by high church protestants, like the Methodists, who usually administer communion to their faithful kneeling at the altar rail.

A bit of trivia, Dr. Welch was a strict prohibitionist who formulated the product precisely for sacramental use by churches. Of course, its a great product so it caught on for folks to drink it at home as well.

The big question would be, was it actually grape juice (invalid), or was it mustum or sweet wine (valid)

Did you ask the priest or sacristan? If not, please do.

So… if we’re using grape juice instead of wine at a parish school Mass, it’s probably because we don’t want the youngsters to have wine. Yes, I know it is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus, but it still contains the accidents of wine.

Since the host is also the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus, why not just offer the Eucharist under that one species and be done with the matter?

[quote=joenlee]I attended Ash Wednesday Mass at a parish I normally do not attend as it was closer to my office. I noticed at communion that the Blood of Christ seemed to be grape juice not wine. This happened to be a Mass attended by the parish grade school. Is using grape juice OK? :confused:
[/quote]

If it was actually grape juice the Consecration and the Mass would have been invalid. Now it is possible that Mustum (a very low alcohol wine) was used but it also for licitness requires the Bishops permission before it can be used in a public Mass.

[quote=MusicMan]So… if we’re using grape juice instead of wine at a parish school Mass, it’s probably because we don’t want the youngsters to have wine. Yes, I know it is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus, but it still contains the accidents of wine.
[/quote]

No it is not. If the wine is not wine or a non-alcoholic wine the Sacrament is invalid- it will not become the Body, Blood Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ no matter how much the priest may wish it to be because he is using the wrong matter.

Ken

[/quote]

HI joenlee - one month younger than me!

Ask the priest what wine is being used in the Mass, and get back to us here. Also ask him if it has alcohol in it and you were just curious because of the taste.

Ken

It is too fine. Just not according to tradition. Tradition is the problem. This is why Celiacs are denied gluten free communion wafers. The church is chosing tradition over spirit. Very sinful. It’s not what goes into a man that is the problem. Jesus desires Mercy not sacrifice. Too bad the C. Church is missing the point.

[quote=kleary]No it is not. If the wine is not wine or a non-alcoholic wine the Sacrament is invalid- it will not become the Body, Blood Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ no matter how much the priest may wish it to be because he is using the wrong matter.

Ken
[/quote]

When I wrote, “Yes, I know it is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus,” the “it” in my post referred back to the word wine. Please reread my original post on this topic. I think you misread what I wrote.

Originally Posted by MusicMan
So… if we’re using grape juice instead of wine at a parish school Mass, it’s probably because we don’t want the youngsters to have wine. Yes, I know it is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus, but it still contains the accidents of wine.

I would write either to a Bishop or a priest about that:cool:

Is it up to you to accept or reject the offer of the Body of Christ. I would probably not drink from the cup only if I were afraid to spill it. There is never alcohol in the cup to protect you from germs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.