Great Apostasy -Rod Bennett

Convert Rod Bennet makes an extremely strong argument against the “The Great Apostasy.” Below, I have listed some of my notes from his talk where he gives several quotes in the Old Testament showing that the Church age will be even better than in the Old Covenant age. With the coming of Christ, we have the fullness of God’s Divine Revelation, and the fullness of grace the God-Man. So clearly, it has to be easier to identify the True Church, then it was to identify the Chosen people of God, Israel in the Old Covenant.

defendingthebride.com/ch/bennet.html

I do not see any good counter arguments that Protestants can make.

I don’t believe I’ve ever encountered a protestant who believed in a great (total) apostasy. That’s more a Mormon thing.

I’ve encountered protestants who believe that a large portion of the Church apostatized (usually because of the Edict of Milan), but they think the “real” Church (Bible-thumping protestants, of course) continued underground, until Luther brought it into the light of day (even though Luther himself never made such a claim).

Thanks for your insight here.
That is exactly one of the positions that Rod Bennet addresses.

He asks,
Can they trace their history back to time of Christ?
The Albegensians, and the Waldensians etc., were they the true believers ?

He points to a common thread among Protestants. The have a time the faith went off the rails, and a time and a “Reformer” that they follow who brings out the “true faith” that had gone underground. Yet, they all contradict each other. Often each claiming to have been the Albegensians, and the Waldensians. By getting the Protestant to state when “a large portion of the Church apostatized” you can go to the Fathers before that time period. For example on Infant Baptism which supposedly was brought into the Corrupt Church he asks.

So, the real question is not,
When did the church first start Infant Baptism, etc. ?
The real question is when did the Church stop doing these things?
There is no real debate in Fathers.

Can they trace their history back to time of Christ?
He encourages people to read the Fathers if they seek the truth.

His book on the subject was just published…

shop.catholic.com/the-apostasy-that-wasn-t.html

By the way, his earlier book “Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words” was published in 2002 by Ignatius Press.

It is excellent. Highly recommended if you haven’t read it. I’m really looking forward to his new book.

Thanks Johnnyc.

I was listening to Al Kresta interview Rod Bennett about this subject this afternoon.
Free MP3 - 3 episodes:
**Al Kresta inteviews Rod Bennett **about this new book.
**Description: **The narrative of the so-called “Great Apostasy” goes like this: just a few centuries after Christ’s death, around the time the Roman Empire converted to Christianity, the true Faith suffered a catastrophic falling-away. The simple truths of the gospel became so obscured by worldliness and pagan idolatry that Christianity required a complete reboot. This idea of a Great Apostasy is one of the cornerstones of American Protestantism, along with Mormonism, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and even Islam. Countless millions today profess a faith built on the assumption that the early Church quickly became broken beyond repair, requiring some new prophet or reformer to restore the pure teaching of Jesus and the apostles. This theory is popular… but its also fiction. Rod Bennett is here with the truth.

defendingthebride.com/ch/fathers.html#apostacy

Thanks,

I enjoyed listening to Rod Bennett on Journey Home last week talking about it. Very good.

You can download the talk below.
After the 47 second commercial,
Right Click on the Letter JHT below the window
and select “Save (Link or Target) as”,

To download and saved the MP3

ewtn.com/live/ewtnplayer/html5audio.asp?JHT01525.mp3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.