Great hymns?

Could you give me some ideas of good/great hymns? I downloaded How Great Thou Art from iTunes but I’d like to listen to some others…

Thanks!

Try “Lord of the Dance.”

runs and hides from the hords of CAF members trying to burn him at the stake

three-Careful now, Dem’s fightin’ words! :smiley:

Seriously, Crown Him With Many Crowns, Holy Holy Holy, and you can never go wrong with Immaculate Mary or Sing of Mary

[quote=threej_lc]Try “Lord of the Dance.”

runs and hides from the hords of CAF members trying to burn him at the stake
[/quote]

:bigyikes:

You might like this CD collection from Amazon.com

Hymns Triumphant

…and try listening to the samples.

Honest be told, Lord of the Dance is my all-time favorite hymn. My defense of it reminds me of Fr. Stan Fortuna:

“If you think its disrespectful to sing a song about how the great one’s relationship to mary was like a garbage man, i suggest that you have not considered the theological and philosopical ramifications of said analogy”

However, since that suggestions not particularly vogue in these parts, let me suggest some of my other favorites.

Salve Regina
Holy God We Praise Thy Name
Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee
As I Kneel Before You
Lift High the Cross

I don’t know if they count as hymns, but Tantum Ergo and O Salutaris

shrugs I could come up with more, but I’m going to go listen to Jesus Freak instead.

Josh

Just a comment on the origins of *Lord of the Dance. *In theological terms the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the Trinity is called perichoresis which is Greek for “to dance around.” (peri = around, choresis=dance).

Thus, the idea was that this “dance” is happening in all places at all times. The “Lord of the Dance” is inviting us to join in…

Not at all banal when one understands the theology behind it…

Deacon Ed

Amen brother!

[quote=CatQuilt]Could you give me some ideas of good/great hymns? I downloaded How Great Thou Art from iTunes but I’d like to listen to some others…

Thanks!
[/quote]

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God almighty early in the morning our song shall rise to thee!

Hail Holy Queen enthroned above

and a bunch of others

Heark the Herald Angels Sing
O Lord I am not Worthy
O Sacred Head Surrounded
Immaculate Mary

Holy God We Praise Thy Name

And, possibly not preferred by many on this forum, but ‘Supper of the Lord’ brings tears to my eyes every time during Communion if it’s sung properly - and it’s sung so reverently in my parish that it’s hard to hold myself together.

Panis Angelicus

And if you go for this sort of thing, all the great composers composed a “Mass”, even Leonard Bernstein who was Jewish.

I absolutely LOVE “The God of Abraham Praise.” The first time that I heard those lyrics and melody, I fell in love with them as if they were from heaven itself.

“Guardian Angel From Heaven Above” is beautiful in words, though the melody is okay…

And you can’t go wrong with Marian hymns such as “Mother Dear, O Pray For Me” or “Hail Holy Queen.”

AND I don’t know the English version, but it’s called “Jésus-Christ Monte Au Calvaire.” I adore that hymn.

Jésus-Christ monte au Calvaire,
Il y va pour y mourir,
Suivons-le, c’est notre frère…"
:smiley:

Lord of all hopefulness, Lord of all joy
Sweet Sacrament Divine
Soul of my Saviour
To Jesus Heart All Burning
Queen of the May (aka BRING FLOWERS OF THE RAREST)
Faith of Our Fathers

Try this site homestead.com/MidiHymns/MidiIndex.html

[quote=threej_lc]“If you think its disrespectful to sing a song about how the great one’s relationship to mary was like a garbage man, i suggest that you have not considered the theological and philosopical ramifications of said analogy”
[/quote]

What is this about?

members.aol.com/diosg2/320-351.htm
homestead.com/MidiHymns/MidiIndex.html
catholic-forum.com/cgi-files/juke/jukebox.html
romaaeterna.web.infoseek.co.jp/index4.html
Good sites for hearing digital renditions of Catholic hymns.

cyberhymnal.org/

Try this link for a taste of some fine selections. Granted, the cyber music doesn’t sound like organ music, but you can get a good idea of the melody anyway. (Some might strike you as Protestant sounding, and you’d be right.)
Some favorites of mine:
cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/v/ivow2the.htm
cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/a/harkhark.htm
cyberhymnal.org/htm/f/a/faithoof.htm
cyberhymnal.org/htm/j/e/r/jerusalem.htm

cyberhymnal.org/non/nonenglish.htm

Happy listening.
He who sings, prays twice.

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]What is this about?
[/quote]

Fr. Stan Fortuna, CFR. He was explaining one of his rap songs, in which he described JP2’s relationship with the blessed virgin as that of a garbage man.

He was asserting that he wasn’t being disrespectful, but rather putting forth a good analogy of how God, Mary,and the pope work together to distribute Grace… Christ/Grace is represented by the trash. Mary is the person throwing out the trash (mediatrix of grace), and JP2, as the head of the church, is the person who picks it up and distributes it…

At least that was my interpretation.

Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.