great news!

i went for a weekender with my church youth last weekend and aboput 10 peeps under 20 gave their lives to the lord for the 1st time
plus

1 girl wanted to be baptisted and since we were by the sea (freezing!) we all went down their with our worship leader and had a meeting tehir and baptisted her and after we had finished that about 7 other came forward to be baptisted!!!

PRAISE GOD!

I do find that interesting. That a church would just Baptize anyone who shows up (since they obviously were not small children) without first determining if they “Repented and Believed” as required in Acts. Was their belief in Christ and in what He taught in the Scriptures and through the Apostles examined? Do they hold to the “Teaching of the Apostles” spoken of in the Scriptures? It is important that we do not Baptize adults in a very willy nilly fasion. Following the example of St. Philip in Acts, great care is to be employed in first instructing those seeking Baptism .

well they said to them “do you belive that jesus died for you?”

they shouted yes
they say " how we beptise you in the name of… the holy spirit

dunk!

they spoke to them before so it wasnt just they baptise anyone but then again isnt that what jtheb did?

I think it is wonderful that your group of young people has found such enthusiasm and faith. Baptism is a wonderfully joyful occasion, but as Br. Rich pointed out, for those who have reached the age of reason, it should also be preceeded by a serious discernment. So long as these new Christians truly understood the meaning of Baptism, being born again in Christ Jesus, receiving the forgiveness of sins, and desiring to follow Christ, I believe it was truly a service to God to baptize them. However, if these 7 people were simply caught up in the moment, perhaps with lots of emotion but little understanding, more preparation may have been prudent. Don’t get me wrong…I consider the baptisms valid, as would the Catholic Church, but considering the incredible committment that Baptism requires, it is a good idea to understand exactly what it is before receiving it.

i see what you mean but they knew what it ment as it was explained to them

they spoke to them before so it wasnt just they baptise anyone but then again isnt that what jtheb did?

Regarding John the Baptist, he preached baptism of repentance, not forgiveness. It was not until Christ Himself descended into the River Jordan that water was sanctified for true Baptism as we know it today.

[quote=kpnuts2k]i went for a weekender with my church youth last weekend and aboput 10 peeps under 20 gave their lives to the lord for the 1st time
plus

1 girl wanted to be baptisted and since we were by the sea (freezing!) we all went down their with our worship leader and had a meeting tehir and baptisted her and after we had finished that about 7 other came forward to be baptisted!!!

PRAISE GOD!
[/quote]

Hi KPNUTS
Yes, that is wonderful! I take it you are not Catholic yet? Give it some time.
I came to the Lord in just such meetings and it was because of the things I was taught there that ( 35 years later) I became a Catholic. I think that , for all the good things there are about being catholic, one thing that can be unintentionally picked up is a kind of sectarianism. Not good. an inability to rejoice with the good things the Lord is doing EVERYWHERE even out side the walls of a Catholic Church :eek: Any reason one comes to the Lord is a good reason! After all the only reason the Catholic Church exists is to bring the Mercy of God to sinners.

trust me i will NEVER become a catholic or a morman or a jew or any other reliion for that matter i dont need a religion i need god alone!

The question is not what we think we need, but what God asks of us.

[quote=kpnuts2k]well they said to them “do you belive that jesus died for you?”

they shouted yes
they say " how we beptise you in the name of… the holy spirit

dunk!

[/quote]

I think it was Billy Graham’s organization who did a study to find out what percent of people lived a Christian life after becoming a Christian in this fashion. They concluded that it was less than 10%. They concluded that these were not really accepting Jesus but were just getting caught up in the heat of the moment.
Reminds me of the scene in “O Brother Where Art Thou?” where the two escapees got baptized.

[quote=kpnuts2k]trust me i will NEVER become a catholic or a morman or a jew or any other reliion for that matter i dont need a religion i need god alone!
[/quote]

I suppose you’re just here to try and “save” us Catholics? :ehh:

nope nt really!

[quote=pnewton]The question is not what we think we need, but what God asks of us.
[/quote]

Amen! Good answer.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if all those who believe they can do it alone, that they know what’s best for themselves, would ask this question: “What does God ask of me?” instead of “What do I need from God?”

The answers are in the Bible, in the Sacraments that Jesus himself gave us, and in the tradition of the one true holy Catholic and apostolic Church.

[quote=kpnuts2k]trust me i will NEVER become a catholic or a morman or a jew or any other reliion for that matter i dont need a religion i need god alone!
[/quote]

The “Church of kpnuts2k” huh? Original, but it doesn’t have much of a ring to it. I don’t think it will play in Peoria. :wink:

By the way, how do you post 60+ times in 90 minutes on your first day? :hmmm:

Your fingers must be cramping by now. I admire your endurance.

Blessings.

[quote=kpnuts2k]nope nt really!
[/quote]

Then why are you here?

You might benefit from giving yourself some time to think about what you are writing. 61 posts in the space of a few hours? Why?

[/quote]

Every Catholic convert has said that at one time or another. I did. In saying that, you are only fulfilling one of the necessary pre-requisites to becoming Catholic. God’s blessings on your journey. :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m missing something. You said you went with your church youth group. Them you said you don’t need a church? Remember the Bible says truth comes form the Church not from the Bible.

[quote=The Barrister]Then why are you here?

You might benefit from giving yourself some time to think about what you are writing. 61 posts in the space of a few hours? Why?
[/quote]

It seems kpnuts2k took your advice. He must be resting his digits… :sleep:

[quote=John_Henry]Every Catholic convert has said that at one time or another. I did. In saying that, you are only fulfilling one of the necessary pre-requisites to becoming Catholic. God’s blessings on your journey. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Good sentiment. And today’s the feast day of King St. Henry!

[/quote]

Then why go to a church youth group? Why follow a worship leader? That is more than just you and God alone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.