Greatest Sacrament?

It is my understanding that Sacraments give us graces instituted by Christ. I saw a note that the Eucharist was the greatest Sacrament. I was wondering why it would not be Marriage? (as we are acting in his likeness?) (or even Holy Orders) The only thing I can see that would make this not correct would be that all people are not called to this Sacrament. I further do not understand how grace is measurable…greatest to least? Can you help me understand this in an easier manner? Thanks for all you do!

Lawrence

Hi,

Sometimes we don’t see the forest for the trees. This question seems to be a case in point. Just consider what the Eucharist actually is. The Eucharist is the greatest sacrament because it is the Lord, Himself!

We aren’t able to measure grace, but God surely can. When we say that Mary is full of grace, we aren’t so much measuring it as recognizing that she so very honored by God, Himself. Here’s more on grace:

catholic.com/tracts/grace-what-it-is-and-what-it-does

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.