Greek Apodidōmi and Misthos

Are* Apodidōmi (Matt 6: 4) or Misthos *(Matt. 5: 6) used in the Septuagint?

If so, where and how?

THANKS!

I did not have the skills to find them, if they are.

Yes. Apodidomi a bunch of times, maybe 50 or more, and misthos about 30 times. (Full disclosure – my working aid covers only that part of the OT LXX that’s in the Protestant OT; including the Deuterocanonicals would probably boost the totals.)

DaveBj

If you can find out, what Hebrew words were used for those Greek words?

Also, if you could give one or two passages, that would be helpful.

THANKS!

Dave

This is the online LXX that I have used from time to time (link below), but the search function doesn’t seem to work. It gives no result for either apodidomi or *αποδιδωμι. *You seem to have found a more useful one. Would you care to provide a link?

Thanks
Bart

ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/

It’s not surprising that the search function doesn’t work; αποδιδωμι is a verb, which means that the only time you’ll see it in that form is when it is used in the 1st person singular, which doubles as the dictionary form in Greek. My working aid is an actual book, George Morrish’s A Concordance of the Septuagint, first published in London in 1887.

I’ll give a couple random examples for each word:

Gen. 20:7 (God speaking to Abimelech) – Now therefore, restore the man’s wife; for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you shall live. But if you do not restore her, know that you shall surely die, you and all who are yours. (NKJV) “Restore” <- αποδιδωμι <- Heb. shub (Strong number 7725), meaning “to turn back,” here in a transitive form meaning “to return (something)”.

Is. 19:21 – Then the Lord will be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians will know the Lord in that day, and will make sacrifice and offering; yes, they will make a vow to the Lord and perform it. (NKJV) “Perform” <- αποδιδωμι <- Heb. shalam (Strong number 7999), meaning here “to perform;” also has the meanings of “to make restitution, to restore”.

Gen. 15:1 (God speaking to Abraham) – After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.” (NKJV) “Reward” <- misthos <- Heb. shakar (Strong number 7939), meaning “price, reward, restitution”.

Mal. 3:5 – “And I will come near you for judgment; I will be a swift witness Against sorcerers, Against adulterers, Against perjurers, Against those who exploit wage earners and widows and orphans, And against those who turn away an alien — Because they do not fear Me,” Says the Lord of hosts. (NKJV) Same words, here translated “wage.”

DaveBj

THANKS!
[size=2]You saved me a great deal of work, time and energy.

If I would have found the answers!

[/size]

Jim

I don’t know anything about the Septuagint, I’m sorry to say, but in case it’s of any interest, I can tell you the words for “reward” that the Trinitarian Bible Society uses in its Hebrew translation of the NT.

As a verb, in Matt. 6:4, גמל (gamal)

biblehub.com/hebrew/1580.htm

As a noun, in Matt. 5:46: שכר (seker or sakar)

biblehub.com/hebrew/7938.htm
biblehub.com/hebrew/7939.htm

This is really helpful to me!!!

… And yet the Bible Hub online concordance recognizes the dictionary form αποδιδωμι and lists all 48 occurrences in the NT, giving the inflected form in each case:

biblehub.com/greek/591.htm

I’d been expecting the online Septuagint source to work the same way, but no luck !!

Regards
Bart

Well, at least it’s good that the Bible Hub NT works. In my case, I was going back and forth between a book and several different functions on my PC Study Bible software.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.