Greek translation of the word aionion

greetings anyone who has a good background in greek and can explain to me why aionion when used in the scripture (sometimes aionios) should be translated as eternal or everlasting?

There is a lot of debate about the translation of this word among Christian circles. I have found that most translations of the bible translate it as eternal or eternity. I think the only one that doesn’t is the strongs (I don’t know about the reliability of this translation.)

any help

note I don’t know how to do greek symbols on this site so I posted the English alphabet equivalent

note: I believe some protestants say this word is translated incorrectly and our view of hell is incorrect.

How is “aionion” used in the Septuagint? How did St. Jerome translate the same passages in the Vulgate? Are there any other Old Latin versions of the passages involved?

In regard to Hell, though, the idea that Hell lasts forever is not something that comes only from a single word. All the descriptions of Hell in the Gospels (by Jesus) and in Revelation and in other NT sources are clearly not talking about something that is going to stop soon. It’s not sleep or punishment; it’s the second death and the fire that is never quenched and the worm that never dies but just keeps worming. There’s a fairly clear demarcation between Sheol as just a realm of death, and Sheol after the Last Judgment, that is worse than death.

So whether you’re translating “aionion” as “everlasting” or “age-old ancient,” I don’t really see that either one contradicts the other, or is much of an improvement as regards to Hell.

Artificial Intelligence is like an Onion. It has so many layers, it would take a Master Programmer to Create it.

Nowai!!

Yahweh!! loves puns. That’s why she created the English Language.

=)

~V~

I’m sure you mean “He”, not “she”, right?

Who are You, to Limit Our Father?

My uncle, a very strict and old fashion Catholic, once told me that our God is ~so~ Masculine, ~Everything~ else, just looks feminine…

Where did that idea come from?

Do you know the chicken and egg joke?

I had an aunt that once attended the birth of one of my brothers. She always joked that she was his daddy.

We’ll be here all night, folks.

I’m no one. But He’s definitely an authority on what He is, the Father. Not the Mother, not the Genderless Parent, but the Father.

I’d challenge you to find one place in Scripture where God is called a female. I won’t accept those translations which just added it in without manuscript support for the sake of worldliness, mind you.

I could be wrong but I think political correctness was the point. :):slight_smile:

Well… that’s not ~entirely~ accurate =)

I’m not much one for political correctness :wink:

I don’t think Papa Francis is either, God loves him so <3

Um, from Scripture, where God is explicitly called masculine.

Do you know the chicken and egg joke?

I had an aunt that once attended the birth of one of my brothers. She always joked that she was his daddy.

How are either of those things relevant?

We’ll be here all night, folks.

And I’m prepared to answer you ad infinitum (with a little break for sleeping ;)).

Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

“We”, our God is Plural, and made Us, in Their image.

It’s all good =)

And yes, I take Everything Very seriously… there are many people in this world hurting way more than I am, but we can’t sit around and mope all the time. God Wants us to be happy.

I’ll take my sleeping break now (it’s late where I am).

Feel free to respond, I’ll get back to you ASAP. 1 Peter 3:15 commands me to do so. :slight_smile:

Yes, and all the Persons are masculine (Son, not Daughter, Father, not Mother, and the Holy Spirit is always masculine). Find one place where they’re not, in Scripture, I triple dog dare you.

Now, it’s really sleepy time for lil’ James. I’ll talk to you in the morning!

I had to look that one up.

Thank you =)

Tell me who Made the idea that Our Father is the Most Masculine…?

Who makes all the ideas, in the first place?

I love a challenge =)

Chicken! lol!

See? Now we’re back to the egg joke :wink:

In all seriousness. Our Father Transcends All Gender and Identity.

Who am I to Judge?

We love you Papa.

~V~

Back to scripture.

So God created humankind in his image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

Who told you “he” was “all male”?

Which came first? The Chicken or the Egg? If you ask most women, I bet they’ll tell ya, it’s usually the chicken that does, and then leaves them hangin… but if you do a little research, I’m sure you’ll see that the Egg is where it all happens. We all start off as Female in the womb. It’s a fact of life. We don’t really Need so many males in the world… Some species don’t even have Y Chromosomes anymore… But Wait… they still have males of the species… Just take a look at the Science section in Google news for the past couple of days, to see some examples.

lmgtfy.com/?q=y+chromosome+disappearing

Now that I think about it, maybe it’s not that we don’t need so many Males in the world, we just don’t need so many effing aholes.

I you think ~I AM~ the one who makes all these jokes, you’ve got another think coming.

That is how Sirius She Is.

You can’t even see past the Sun, let alone outside of this Single Universe.

and I’m not talking to my friend, James.

You know who you are, now?

Do you see how Small you are?

Try banning me again, and see what happens.

~V~

Well, if you had said it in Latin, you wouldn’t need a nominative pronoun. Just saying. :slight_smile:

I haven’t said that yet. We’re trying to take it slow =)

“In the image of God” is referring to our immortal souls, which no other beings but He and us have.

Which came first? The Chicken or the Egg? If you ask most women, I bet they’ll tell ya, it’s usually the chicken that does, and then leaves them hangin… but if you do a little research, I’m sure you’ll see that the Egg is where it all happens. We all start off as Female in the womb. It’s a fact of life. We don’t really Need so many males in the world… Some species don’t even have Y Chromosomes anymore… But Wait… they still have males of the species… Just take a look at the Science section in Google news for the past couple of days, to see some examples.

How is any of this relevant to God’s gender?

Now that I think about it, maybe it’s not that we don’t need so many Males in the world, we just don’t need so many effing aholes.

That’s not funny, it’s insensitive to males. And don’t curse.

Try banning me again, and see what happens.

What are you talking about? I don’t even have the power to ban people. I’ve never encountered you before. But if you’re threatening me, I just may report you. That’s completely unnecessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.