Green Didache Study Bible

Just ordered the hard copy. Is it as good resource as the ratings claim in your experience?

I just received mine recently and so far, I love mine. I ordered the leather-bound version and my only complaint is that I expected the covers to be supple but it’s actually a hardcover, covered in leather.

I didn’t see a soft supple cover available. Don’t know if they’re available or not.

I ordered a Bible from a bookshop run by nuns but the one I had ordered had run out and so they sent me the Didache green covered one. I’ve found it to be excellent.

It’s the one I use and I like it.

I just started a new Bible Study, (we’ll be off until March then start up again). Several people have this Bible there and someone asked why? Another person in class said that the teacher has one so other students bought one so they could follow along better. Our teacher also told me that she has several Bibles and this is her “go to” Bible.

Hm. That’s good to hear. I’m interested to see the commentaries in it.

Would you say it does a good job explaining the faith in light in scripture as the Church Fathers taught it? I live in a very Protestant area…

Yes it also goes along with the Catechism of the Catholic Church so it is thorough.

Want to confuse the non Catholics? Just pronounce the word Didache correctly. They probably won’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pronunciation+didache&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

“Deed A Kay” is that right?

DID a kee or DID a kay

I think either pronunciation is correct. Just say “I’ll have to look something up in my Didache” and they’ll probably be scratching their heads.

Love it. Mine has become my daily reader. Purchased it maybe a year ago, and just finished an entire read through a few weeks back. I’m on my 2nd go through and love how I’m finding things in the notes I didn’t really realize before.

Overall, I think it is an excellent study bible, daily reader, teaching tool. Out of all the Bibles I own it is now by far my favorite.

My only real complaint is the cover. I am seriously thinking about sending it out for a rebind in some type of soft leather. Physically, otherwise, it’s really well made. Sewn binding, decent paper etc.

I bought the “leather bound” cover and thought it would be flexible but it’s not. It’s just a hard cover with cushy leather over it. So far, that’s my only complaint, still.

I just bought a Pilot, “premium gel roller” ink pen (fine line) to write in mine. Have you written in yours yet with pens, gel pens in particular, and, if so, does it bleed through the paper or smear?

The Church allows us to read non-Catholic versions of the Bible, with the caution to avoid those that are anti-Catholic from the get-go (like the fundamentalist Scofield version) and to be aware of differences in point of view of those that are more neutral.

In this context, a good book to have is The Jewish Study Bible (2nd Ed or later) which offers the latest American English translation from the Jewish Publication Society. It has copious notes that often help, and it has 400 pages of essays on the Jewish scriptures. Oxford U. Press. If you had this, you would see copious translator notes about translations that are uncertain. In Catholic Bibles, you seldom if ever see a note about a word or verse that is uncertain.

Modern Bibles have a hurdle to overcome – copyright laws. So, you may wonder endlessly why Bibles are different. Don’t forget this limitation. For this very reason, you might want to have one or more other translations just to see what’s going on in some verse.

A more subtle problem is that the translators select which of the ancient texts to use for their Bible. The problem is, some of those ancient texts vary more than we would assume that they should. So, the NAB might be missing whole verses that are in the RSV-2CE. Sometimes this subject is discussed in those boring introductory notes in a particular version. Beware of the reality of the situation. Along with this sometimes goes a difference in preference for numbering of verses. It sounds heretical – there doesn’t seem to be a perfect English translation of the Bible. There’s always trade offs.

I have both version of the Didache Study Bible (the green RSV-2CE version and the brown NABRE version). Both are excellent bibles but I use more often the brown NABRE version for two reasons. First, the text of the NABRE version matches more closely (though not an exact match) the text of the Lectionaries used in the United States (where I live) and second, the brown NABRE version the Didache Bibles includes TWO SETS of commentary and footnotes: the standard introductions and footnotes that all NABRE Bibles are required to have PLUS the introductions, footnotes and apologetics found in the green RSV-2CE version of the Didache Bible. (This is the reason why the brown version is has more pages than the green version.)

But overall, both versions are excellent and I would highly recommend either one.

Wish I could answer that for you but I have not written in mine at this point.

This is a very good point. There are so many English translations out there that it is very difficult for someone to come up with a new one that doesn’t copy from one of the older ones.

I am currently working on writing a private devotional commentary on Romans, including doing my own translation. My own procedure is to translate each directly from the Greek into serviceable English, then to consult the 20-something English translations in the PC Study Bible software to see of any of them said it better, and if I find a phrase I like better, to change my translation accordingly.

I’m liking what I’ve been reading about the green DSB, and also what you said about the JSB. I may be sending some $$$ Amazon’s way :smiley:

D

Does anyone else know? Or even with any Bible, do you know if the gel rollers go through the paper or smear?

Have you received your Didache Bible yet and what do you think?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.