Gregorian chanting 'can reduce blood pressure and stress'

Stress levels could be reduced simply by participating in some Gregorian chanting, researchers claimed today.

Dr Alan Watkins, a senior lecturer in neuroscience at Imperial College London, revealed that teaching people to control their breathing and applying the musical structure of chanting can help their emotional state.

He said: “We have recently carried out research that demonstrates that the regular breathing and musical structure of chanting can have a significant and positive physiological impact.”

dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=563533&in_page_id=1965

He’s right.

I know listening to it can reduce my blood pressure and stress. Maybe I should learn to carry a tune and give it a try.

That never stopped me :smiley:

I don’t think God minds.

Yes. Gregorian chant definitely reduces stress and lowers blood pressure, unlike the horrible profane rock music of the new Mass which does exactly the opposite.

Good to hear another study on the subject.

I remember one at least 10 years ago, not a study, but an anecdotal sort of news report. It was about monks who had always sung chant a certain number of times a day. For some reason, they decided to go entirely silent, no chanting at all.

There was a BIG rise in depression, lethargy and all-around unhappiness.

I think they went back to singing.

(Barbarian admits he can’t carry a tune)

That never stopped me

I don’t think God minds.

Psalms 94:2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving; and make a joyful noise to him with psalms.

Doesn’t say anything about being able to sing, I guess.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.