Grey's Anatomy - 5/5/11

So what did you think of the portrayal last night of Callie's lesbian wedding?

Specifically, her mother refusing to be a part of it, and leaving after telling her it's not a real wedding, etc.?

I thought it was clear that her mom was supposed to be Catholic.

I was sort of surprised that they didn't villify the mom more... it was an accurate reflection of what a Catholic mom might do, as well as an accurate picture of the Catholic posistion on same-sex marriage, and although they showed Callie to be really sad, they didn't really nail the mom to the wall as a total villian...

Of course, they had to have Bailey give the speech about how it IS a real wedding as long as you MEAN it, blah blah blah, but this is not surprising coming from Hollywood...

I don't think you can really blame Hollywood for having someone give a speech trying to encourage her. Honestly that is a pretty realistic thing too. It isn't like two lesbians would suddenly rethink everything because one of the mothers didn't agree with the wedding.

At least they were fair. My wife watches this all the time but I avoid it like a plague. I always refer to it as the "sinful show". Can't deny that I've caught bits and pieces of it because our kitchen and family room shares an open space. So if I am in the kitchen and she's watching then I'd catch parts of it. I did see from some time ago when the father found out that the girl is lesbian and there was a lengthy argument because the father was religious. Didn't know they were Catholic. But my eyes rolled up when she used the "judge not lest ye be judged" argument to justify her homosexuality.

I'll take your word for it that they didn't vilify the mother too much. I'm just glad I didn't do the dishes last night :D

I actually thought it was pretty blatantly anti-Catholic, especially during the little "your Church hasn't caught up yet, your mother hasn't caught up yet" speech by Bailey.

It was very clear that Callie's family is Catholic (her mother said the Catholic "grace before meals" and there was a reference in a previous episode to Callie being a "Catholic girl".)

[quote="dixieagle, post:4, topic:239060"]
I actually thought it was pretty blatantly anti-Catholic, especially during the little "your Church hasn't caught up yet, your mother hasn't caught up yet" speech by Bailey.

It was very clear that Callie's family is Catholic (her mother said the Catholic "grace before meals" and there was a reference in a previous episode to Callie being a "Catholic girl".)

[/quote]

Well, I didn't think it was too bad -- I really thought they would either make the mother out to be a total monster who ruined everything for everyone, or else make her change her mind at the last minute and come to the wedding.

I thought they portrayed her as very upset about the situation, and in the end, just unable to go through with the farce of it all. She stood up for her convictions, and although Bailey gave her speech, they didn't really bash the mom, with a "How could she do that to you??????????????" kind of attitude.

Grey's Anatomy should be called Immoral Doctors. Fornication, cohabitation... the list goes on. What doctor in her right mind would go to a bar and pick up a guy for anonymous sex? She needs sex more than realizing that AIDS is out there? How about when they find her body, and of course the police have no ideas? She insists the guy not tell her his name. Seriously, this program is sending the wrong message about human sexuality.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="edwest2, post:6, topic:239060"]
Grey's Anatomy should be called Immoral Doctors. Fornication, cohabitation... the list goes on. What doctor in her right mind would go to a bar and pick up a guy for anonymous sex? She needs sex more than realizing that AIDS is out there? How about when they find her body, and of course the police have no ideas? She insists the guy not tell her his name. Seriously, this program is sending the wrong message about human sexuality.

Peace,
Ed

[/quote]

You focus alot on this show, edwest, even in other threads. Why this one? Its not as if other shows dont portray fornication and cohabitation.

Unlike shows like Two and a half men, Greys Anatomy has some redeeming qualities.

[quote="dixieagle, post:4, topic:239060"]

[/quote]

I agree - I love Grey's and it's one of my favorite shows, but when I saw this episode I considered giving it up.

My impression was that it represented Catholics as ignorant fools who haven't "caught up to" modernity. When Bailey said that Callie's mother hadn't "caught up to God yet" I almost shut it off. I would have been happier if Callie and her mother had gotten into a discussion about how much she loved her daughter and explained why she couldn't go to the wedding. The only thing she said was something like "I don't want to see my daughter go to hell" as if Catholics believe heterosexual people don't need to worry about hell. I just thought it was an inaccurate portrayal of what we really believe and Bailey's "marriage is whatever you want it to be speech" was ridiculous.

Her speech was also a little ironic, considering that Meredith and Derek wouldn't have had to get married to potentially adopt the baby if their post-it note marriage was just as good as any. :shrug:

I guess I don't expect much more than this from Hollywood...it could have been worse but I definitely wasn't impressed with the episode.

I agree! I have loved Grey’s from the beginning but some of the story lines recently have frustrated me. I realize there are some people who have no issues with it but when Callie’s mom started into her whole “I don’t want to see my daughter go to hell” I was really disappointed.

I’ve already given up on Glee for similar stunts of attacking the church and I was sad to see that Grey’s seems to think our Church needs to catch up with the times. I agree that they are inaccurately portraying what we believe and I don’t know if that is something I can support.

I’m torn if I will continue to watch the show or not. I think there are better things to do with my time than have people tell me I’m old fashioned. :shrug:

Yeah I noticed this too with my wife. I would have expected more distain from the other characters on Callie’s mom’s position. This shows that opposition against same-sex marriage is still a valid one and it is societal reality.

Really, though, was Derek and Meridith’s so-called marriage, which was based on an agreement on a Post-It note until they finally made it legal, any more valid? The pervasiveness of the view that a marriage is just a private agreement between two people, independent of society, is another part of the problem. After all, if it’s just between the two of them, it’s completely up to them whether to keep it going, right?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.