Grieving Books?

Has anyone found a book about grieving that you recommend?
I have a pretty good book a friend let me borrow but it’s more of a daily reflection type book.

I’m struggling in my faith a bit and just lost my dad this past Sunday. He had been ill with cancer & watching him pass away at home on hospice was life altering. He is such a strong man to endure such pain. Thanks for your suggestions

I am so sorry for your loss. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

I am so sorry that your dad passed away. My dad also passed away this past December after having a major stroke in Sept. and he suffered greatly. I couldn’t afford to fly home to be with him and never even got to speak to him on the phone, I still struggle with closure.

My uncle also passed away just before Easter from cancer so I know what you are going through and I understand.

Sometimes it helps to remember the fondest moments you shared with him and keep those memories closest to your heart. It also helps to know that he is in a much better place and he suffers no more.

This website also offers a great deal of advice that I found helpful:
barretts.ca/When_Your_Parent_Dies_942167.html

There is also a support site, I haven’t explored it so I don’t know if it would be helpful but it wouldn’t hurt to check it out.
cancersupportcommunity.org/?gclid=CJGOjaKVv7YCFaF7QgodGmIAhg#

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

I am so sorry for your loss, God rest his soul. I lost a brother last April and he likewise was in hospice and it simply tore me to pieces. There are some good resources out there, as a result of my loss I actually went back to school and became a grief counselor. I used to have some tracts that I would send you, I would have to look for them. Losing someone close is a challenge to our faith, we simply never expect it. One thing that was helpful for me is the realization that grief and bereavement is very individualized and loss is very specific to the individual experiencing it. The loss of a loved one is something that we will endure, in time it may lessen but the memories never fade and the love that we have for that person never lessens thus our acceptance of the loss is not terribly easy and I believe that we come to terms with living in the absence of that person. Memorializing and journaling can be helpful and talking to others about the good times is helpful. A rabbi once said: “Grief that is shared is grief that is dissipated.” I will certainly keep you in my prayers. Sadly as we live so too do we die. I hope this has been helpful and if you wish I work for Mental Health and can seek some resources for you and post them.
God be with you in all that you do, Our Hope is in the Lord that made the heavens and earth.
In the Risen Christ!
Fr. Patrick, I.O.C.C., C-GC

Hi. Seven years ago, after a profound loss, God blessed me with a great and burning desire to learn all I could about death, heaven, “last things”, etc.

Some of the books I read included:

Heaven, The Heart’s Deepest Longing (Peter Kreeft)
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven (Kreeft)
A Grief Observed (C.S.Lewis)
Travel Guide to Heaven (Anthony DeStefano)

Basically, the grieving books all frustrated me because they seemed to, in an attempt to be universally comforting, condone pretty much any feeling the bereaved experienced.

St. Paul says that we should not grieve as the unbelievers do–who have no hope.

The night before Gabriel’s burial, I could not sleep. I stumbled around in a strange house searching for a bible. I knew that God had to have something profound to say about something as devastating as death. The above line from Paul is what I ultimately found.

What does it mean to have hope? It means that we TRULY believe that our “dearly departed” are, in fact, ALIVE. They are simply departed from us for a time (assuming they are/were ultimately heaven-bound). They have ARRIVED! They are where we aspire to be. They have made it HOME.

The above mentioned books are not exactly about grieving, but informed me to an extent that I could correct my grieving. If we truly believe, grief will have a shimmering thread of joy–joy for our loved one who is now a saint.

I will add here the thread I posted after he died. Maybe some of my raw thoughts will help you. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=103882&highlight=gabriel+drowned

Finally, while I don’t write much on it, I have a blog where I have written a few more recent thoughts.

handmadeforheaven.blogspot.com/

I pray you find the answers you seek. God bless you.

So very true!
We have hope and many times in my studies the secular authors condone pretty much everything. There is merit to the academic study of Thanantology and mourning but when all is said and done. As members of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic faith we have the hope of Christ and the redemption.
For myself, some of the studies were interesting and did enlighten me on the reason why others respond the way that they do in regard to grief. As a chaplain for hospice it is necessary to understand the fundamentals of grief but in regard to our faith specifically we have hope and when our relationship with Christ through the Sacraments, private prayer, etc. The Lord will comfort you in the knowledge that your decedent has arrived home. I do hope that things get better for you. Regardless of everything, death is a very difficult thing to endure but always remember that Our Lord is with you even in times where you think you are alone.
God be with you in all that you do.
In the Risen Christ!

I highly recommend Elizabeth Kulber Ross on Grief and grieving.

I am sorry about your loss, may you seek comfort in God’s embrace.

Blessings

This is a good book but the stages are sometimes not even present to the grieving and certainly not set in stone in regard to the order that she gives, but it is good reading. Check the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, they have a link to academic books for certification that might be helpful if you are seeking something secular.
Ross does make some valid points but take it with a grain of salt.
I do hope that you are able to realize the Mercy of Christ and the reality that your loved one is still very much with you just not in the physical realm.
In Christ,

Thank you everyone for your prayers and kind words. I will write more this weekend when I have a little more time to myself. This week has been very busy and incredibly difficult.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.