Grocery workers in California see wages shrink

sfgate.com/politics/joegarofoli/article/Grocery-workers-in-California-see-wages-shrink-5536515.php

That is really sad. I’ll be honest, I sometimes wonder if some businesses don’t pay their employees a lower wage because they know that their employees can get welfare to help with expenses that their wages don’t cover.

And I should be concerned because of why?

She said her children’s father is not in the picture.

If the liberal SanFran journalist wants to tug at my heartstrings, get the McDonald’s bag, the iPhone, and the Krispy Kreme box out of the pictures.

Are you your brother’s keeper?

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned…

I was under the impression that Christians were supposed to care about the welfare of other people, did I miss a recent memo or something?

Maybe check your own phylactery as well.:wink:

Why do they always show people in poverty with smart phones? I was watching a news article on a single woman with 2 kids looking for a job on her iPhone. If I had a nickle for every person who came into my place of business looking for a job who was plugged into an iPhone, I would be rich. I don’t have a smart phone. Too expensive.

I think there is more at issue here than being unable to afford to live on her income. She has made poor choices in life.

The “father is out of the picture” is hard to believe. There are state databases, and the fathers are tracked down and made to pay child support. I get child support order from all over the country within 30 days of hiring someone.

Why is she buying Krispy Kreme donuts? You can buy 18 eggs for $2.59 at Walmart. You get a lot more healthy meals from those eggs than from a box of donuts. She looks like she has a nicely equipped kitchen. Food stamps don’t cover Krispy Kreme donuts.

That’s why I like to participate and donate to Catholic Charities rather than government agencies (taxes). Catholic Charities tend to help people learn how to fish.

I don’t think you missed anything. Catholics Charities is one of the biggest NGO’s in the world, thanks to donations by Catholics, including CAF members. :wink:

I’ve wondered this as well. Along with the rising costs of higher education and government grants and student loans.

Hey, we are kindred souls. That is not the only reason I don’t have a smart phone, but it is a reason. That and I think they’re overrated, and they take forever to charge, and I don’t want to have the internet world at my fingertips every second of the day. And for that I am soundly mocked by my peers.

That reason for paying low wages would be just as wrong as greed/complacency because it would effectively turn these employers/companies into welfare beneficiaries - since the state would be effectively subsidizing their labor costs. :frowning:

Subliminal messaging perhaps? She can’t be underpaid if she has a smartphone?

Well considering the fact that even some of the cheapest pay-as-you-go carriers now offer smart phones, and considering the fact that for very many people cell phones have replaced home phones, and that getting a job sometimes requires internet/email access, (my first smart phone was bought as a direct result of the demands of my work). I see no basis for assuming that a person with a smart phone is wasting money. Show me her phone plan…then maybe we can talk.

Not that wasting money on phones or plans has a whit to do with the right to be fairly reimbursed for one’s services…

Could be. It really takes away from the message.

Well considering the fact that even some of the cheapest pay-as-you-go carriers now offer smart phones, and considering the fact that for very many people cell phones have replaced home phones,

I have a cell phone, no smart phone, and it takes the place of a land line.

and that getting a job sometimes requires internet/email access,

There are computers at the public library and at the unemployment office.

(my first smart phone was bought as a direct result of the demands of my work). I see no basis for assuming that a person with a smart phone is wasting money. Show me her phone plan…then maybe we can talk.

I have researched plans. DATA is expensive. Her job as a Walmart employee obviously doesn’t require a cell phone, much less a smart phone.

Not that wasting money on phones or plans has a whit to do with the right to be fairly reimbursed for one’s services…

Agreed!

I work at a relatively low-paying job by choice. I have to choose what comforts I’m willing to forgo in order to continue working at my current job. I know the cable TV should go too, but I’m not ready to do that yet! Maybe when my TV conks out I’ll make that leap. :slight_smile:

There are no jobs at Walmart that require people to have a contact phone number or even at certain levels, access to their email outside of the opening hours of a library? And just FYI, data can be bought on a pay-as-you go basis or can come unlimited with a cheap plan, like one I can think of that Walmart sells.

It’s hard to pull the plug. I have cable tv but not the premium stations, since I’ve never considered that an “essential.” Whereas a lot of the people I know who are somewhat hurting for money all seem to have premium cable (a bit like the people in your example). Go figure.

Oh really??? Well it’s a shame that we didn’t have you when I was growing up! My mother, several states, and my father’s extended family spent years trying to track him down for child support payments, but to no avail. My mom didn’t start receiving payments until I was 19 or 20, and at the current rate she’s being paid, she will be 126 before it’s paid off (we did the math over Xmas).

How lucky my mother would have been to have someone like you when I was growing up. You could pass judgement on her for being poor, and find her deadbeat ex-husband in only 30 days!

Um, is it just me or is her plight not all bad? She and her children have a place to live and food on the table. They have clothes on their bad and they all have educational opportunity. She even has a car that she drives to work most of the time.

Grocery store clerk as a lifelong middle class career is probably fading. When RF tagged items become the norm, I wouldn’t be surprised to see most clerk positions go away. Grocery store margins are also razor thin. The Costco model only really works for Costco, which is a club store that attracts basically the upper middle class to rich. Costco is nice, but probably not a model for all grocers.

I don’t know if you are deliberately misconstruing what I have said, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. :slight_smile:

I was talking about the SMART phone, which she is obviously using at the breakfast table.

This is what I actually said:

[quote=qui]Her job as a Walmart employee obviously doesn’t require a cell phone, much less a smart phone.
[/quote]

In response to your statement:

[quote=seekerz](my first smart phone was bought as a direct result of the demands of my work).
[/quote]

A Chrome laptop and internet at a wi-fi hot spot is a lot cheaper than a phone and a data plan. Sorry, there is no way around that.

Still costs money. She’s making the choices to pay for data when she doesn’t have enough money for gas.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.