Grounds for Marriage Nullification

I married my ex wife in 2003. Our civil divorce was finalized in August, 2010. Before we get married, there were some problems but we were hoping that things will change in the near future. first and foremost, my spouse wasn’t honest and truthfull to me. When we courting, she told me that she is going to college to get teaching credential. She told me that she had a bachelors degree in Liberal Studies. I found out later after our marriage that she is not going for any teaching credential. She is still doing her bachelors degree. Another thing she did was when we were courting, I found out that she was involved in other men. When I confronted her about that, she told me that she has nothing to do with them anymore since she has decided to marry me. However, during our courting, a lot of people were telling me about her promiscous life. she will be sleeping around with different men. It wasn’t surprise that she carried that into the marriage. I later found out that her parent’s marriage were made of infidelity. Her parent were having affairs with different people. After our marriage in the church, we were still having various problems with our marriage. Things went worse when her mother started getting involved in the marriage making decisions for her. It went worse to the extent that she and her mother started insulting my mother. They went to the extent of tampering with my mother’s belonging taking her prayer books, rosaries I bought for my kids. They took alll those things and threw it away in the trash. They denied taking the prayer books and rosaries at first. Later on, my ex wife confessed that she took it with her mother. During the marriage, she is not at home. She is always out there leaving the kids at home with me going to the gym and going to the hair saloon every Saturday to the extent of leaving the house at 5 am to do her hair. Sometimes she goes to the grocery and won’t be back untill four or five hours later and her excuse is that she went to see her mother. Please advise if there is any ground for annulity.

From what you've posted, there were issues at the time of marriage that were problematic, and I see grounds for an annulment. When it comes to annulments, though, what we say here really doesn't matter. You'll have to speak to a priest and follow his advice.

Another issue is this: my first marriage was done outside the catholic church with a non - catholic. In other words, it was done in a chapel in Las Vegas by a pastor. Five years later, we divorced in a civil divorce court. I remarried in catholic catholic to my second wife who is also a catholic. Now I am divorced from my second wife. Some people keep telling me that there is some grounds for nullification. Please confirm.

You already asked this question last week, in this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=557177

You need to go sit down with your priest. We cannot give you an answer here on this forum. This will require detailed discussion with your priest, followed by a tribunal investigation.

Go see your priest.

[quote="Wolfpac, post:3, topic:238710"]
Another issue is this: my first marriage was done outside the catholic church with a non - catholic. In other words, it was done in a chapel in Las Vegas by a pastor. Five years later, we divorced in a civil divorce court. I remarried in catholic catholic to my second wife who is also a catholic. Now I am divorced from my second wife. Some people keep telling me that there is some grounds for nullification. Please confirm.

[/quote]

See your PM.

Yes this makes it much more complicated - I would recommend that during this time while looking at whether or not the decree of nullity will be forthcoming you also seek time in the Blessed Sacrament looking at what marriage is as a vocation and what it is that you would like in a future partnership so that you can avoid the same pattern.

[quote="Wolfpac, post:1, topic:238710"]
I married my ex wife in 2003. Our civil divorce was finalized in August, 2010. Before we get married, there were some problems but we were hoping that things will change in the near future. first and foremost, my spouse wasn't honest and truthfull to me.

. Another thing she did was when we were courting, I found out that she was involved in other men. When I confronted her about that, she told me that she has nothing to do with them anymore since she has decided to marry me. However, during our courting, a lot of people were telling me about her promiscous life. she will be sleeping around with different men. Ity.

[/quote]

it depends.
you have to begin the annulment process, give your testimony and follow the advice you are given. This is a canon law question and no one here can answer it, but very often, if you knew about the problem and accepted her any way, there is no longer any grounds on that issue. If you were deceived and only found out after the marriage the situation is different.

You will not get an answer here that addresses your individual situation, you will only get general information. See your priest and get the process started.

If either you or your spouse is baptized Catholic, and you did not marry according to the laws of the Church, your marriages is presumed invalid due to lack of form. The process to establish that is much easier and shorter than an annulment investigation.

See your priest.

Thanks for your input. I have schedule an appointment to see the priest. However, it is getting more complicated. Any advice will help before I see the priest. My first marriage was to non - baptized catholic. In other words, she is a non - catholic. We married outside the catholic church in the presence of the justice of peace in Las Vegas. We divorced five years later. Two years later, I married to a baptized catholic in the catholic church in the presence of the priest. I am now finding out that I should get the first marriage annuled before the second marriage. What effect does it have on the second marriage that that divorce was finalized few months ago? Does it mean it is invalid?

[quote="Wolfpac, post:8, topic:238710"]
Th. I am now finding out that I should get the first marriage annuled before the second marriage. What effect does it have on the second marriage that that divorce was finalized few months ago? Does it mean it is invalid?

[/quote]

you see why it gets complicated and why no specific relevant answer that helps you can be given on a forum like this.

the tribunal will go back to the earliest marriage first and consider that. If it is found invalid, it will then investigate the second marriage and so on. If the first marriage is found to have been valid, the second marriage is invalid (if your ex was still alive at that time). It took time to get into the situation, it will take time to get out of it, and the resolution may not be the one you looked for, but if you are during that time trusting Holy Mother Church and her wisdom it will be a time of grace and healing for you.

Thanks. I think the first and second marriage is invalid due to lack of form. I might be wrong. It was done outside the catholic church without any dispensation and my first wife is a non - catholic. As you said, this is a complicated situation. I hope the priest has the solution.

Something is missing here. With regard to the second marriage, you simply could not have married in a Catholic Church unless the Church determined the first marriage was invalid. A Catholic marrying outside the Church, without dispensation, is typically a straightforward procedure, since the marriage is not presumed valid, but one still must submit the appropriate paperwork to the Tribunal and have the Tribunal’s decision prior to any subsequent marriage.

[quote="Warrior1979, post:11, topic:238710"]
Something is missing here. With regard to the second marriage, you simply could not have married in a Catholic Church unless the Church determined the first marriage was invalid. A Catholic marrying outside the Church, without dispensation, is typically a straightforward procedure, since the marriage is not presumed valid, but one still must submit the appropriate paperwork to the Tribunal and have the Tribunal's decision prior to any subsequent marriage.

[/quote]

That was a big mistake. That means the second marriage is invalid by lack of form. Correct if I am wrong. In other words, both marriages are invalid by lack of form. The first marriage was nullified before the second marriage.

No the second was done in a Catholic Church - therefore the second is presumed valid until proven otherwise - you do not know if the lack of form was done or not done as you may have supplied all the necessary information. One of you would have had to have supplied the documented divorce papers or there would have been NO marriage license issued in any state.

[quote="Wolfpac, post:12, topic:238710"]
That was a big mistake. That means the second marriage is invalid by lack of form. Correct if I am wrong. In other words, both marriages are invalid by lack of form. The first marriage was nullified before the second marriage.

[/quote]

The first would be invalid due to lack of form (assuming that you did not have the proper dispensation).

Beats me how the Church views the second marriage. I simply do not understand how you could have been married in the Catholic Church with a prior marriage officially being declared invalid. The Church is very, very strict when it comes to rules pertaining to marriage. Only the appropriate Church representative can answer that question for you.

Thanks for all your inputs. Please I was just wondering if anyone know where I can articles and information related to marriage annulment. I need those information to put my case together before my appointment with the priest. Thanks.

You don’t put a case together necessarily like you are thinking of - there is a question and answer packet that your priest will give you after you talk to him and you will be given a packet of information after you speak to him from your Tribunal in order to help you write your statement. The first place to go is your priest. This is a good time to remember that God is in control - not you. :D;)

You do not “put your case together.” You go and speak in truth to the priest. He will advise you. It sounds like you are trying to figure out a way to word things to your advantage. That will not work, the truth, whatever it is, will come out. Be honest with the priest and with yourself. May God bless you and guide you.

In the United States, this is true.

It is not true universally. Procedures in other countries vary. For example, my BIL is European, and had a civil marriage. In his country, if it’s not in the sacramental records, it’s invalid and no additional paperwork need be submitted.

You don’t put anything together before your appointment with the priest. The priest will guide you. Simply go tell him your situation.

[quote="Wolfpac, post:15, topic:238710"]
Thanks for all your inputs. Please I was just wondering if anyone know where I can articles and information related to marriage annulment. I need those information to put my case together before my appointment with the priest. Thanks.

[/quote]

no you don't
If you were going to procede with an annulment investigation, what you would need are your baptismal certificate, a recent one showing all sacraments received including marriages, your wife's if you can get it, your marriage license(s) of all previous marriages, if you can get it, at least the baptismal status of all parties in the previous marriages, where they were performed and by whom, and court records of any civil divorces. do you see why this is going to get complicated? For the first interview, sit down with the priest and spell out the whole story. He usually appoints someone or refers you to someone who helps you gather the paperwork. Do you see why there is no cut and dried answer?

When you give your story to the priest give him all the details in an orderly chronological fashion. HOpe posting here has helped you get it straight. Pray daily during this process because it can be a source of grace for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.