Group's new Christmas message: Be good, not godly

Here we go again…

You better watch out. There is a new combatant in the Christmas wars.

Ads proclaiming, “Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness’ sake,” will appear on Washington buses starting next week and running through December.

The American Humanist Association unveiled the provocative $40,000 holiday ad campaign Tuesday.

Full story here.

The real problem is that they cannot define what constitutes “good”.

They don’t seem to realize that “being good for goodness sake” is meaningless without God. Who defines goodness?

By Jonquil FrankhamWASHINGTON, DC, November 13, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - “Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness’ sake,” proclaims a new ad campaign by the American Humanist Association meant to coincide with the Christmas season. The campaign has already been launched in…

Full article…

I saw that. Just plain sad :frowning:

They’re free to advertise aren’t they? Or is freedom only for Christians?

Fair arguement, but I have never seen any religious advertisements on buses or billboards. ><

Maybe because we are not putting our money into it. And we shouldn’t. It should go to the poor rather than this.

Religious ads would not be allowed. Our society is going down-hill fast…

It would become onesided if we required secular businesses to advertise the religious ads while not requiring religious businesses to advertise secular ads. Same goes for the talk shows. If we demand that liberal shows give equal time to the conservative points we must allow the liberal side to speak on the conservative shows. We’re not going to win anything by just silencing the other side. And I direct that at both liberal and conservative media. Both want to silence the other. Shouldn’t be done. All viewpoints must be heard.

Yes, of course they are allowed. Their message is self-defeating anyway, its nothing to worry about. If people try hard to be good, they’ll eventually find themselves coming to know God.

I’ve seen ads for churches in a lot of public places, I think on buses but not 100% sure… Definitely on ‘bench advertising’ spaces.

Secular humanist nonsense.

BTW, as a follow-up, Christmas begins at First Vespers on 24 December, not during Advent. Be a radical Catholic! Skip your company “Christmas” party if it occurs during Advent!

And always remember, the spirit of Christmas does not come out of a bottle. A good Advent to y’all.

While I agree on the beginning of Christmas, I will not skip the Christmas party as you suggest. Lighten up and join the festivities. Just because they hold the Christmas party during advent doesn’t make it sinful to attend.

I work at a Catholic High School. We have our Christmas party before Christmas. We all know it is Advent. However, if we waited for to have it during Christmas time we would only have a few days to have it on, as our Christmas break takes up most of Christmas time.

The first company I worked for put all of the floating holidays between Christmas and New Years. If they had wanted to have their Christmas party during Christmas season, they would have had only a few days to schedule it during.

Charity work is important- don’t get me wrong, but there is a whole lot more to spreading the Christian message than making sure the material needs of the poor are met.

[quote=Mark 8:36- Douay-Rheims]For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?
[/quote]

[quote=Mark 8:36- Vulgate]quid enim proderit homini si lucretur mundum totum et detrimentum faciat animae suae
[/quote]

Umm…no. I like to experience Christmasy things outside of my home, and most people think Christmas ends on Christmas day. If I put off all celebration until Christmas eve, I won’t have much of a celebration to share with others.

I joined too late to get in on this thread. However, a kind soul directed me to it. Thank you.

Question: How did this thread end up in a discussion of Christmas parties and advertising when this holiday campaign is a prime example of how the humanists are contributing to the popular disbelief in Transubstantiation.

I totally agree that in trying to be good, some people will come to know God. No dispute. The American Humanist Association wants people to be good. They also want people to access their website or call their 800 number–the bottom, but no less prominent, line of their ad.

I did check out their website and found the same type of thinking that, in my mind, is contributing to the loss in attendance at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Question: Since classrooms often use news stories, shouldn’t this holiday campaign be a perfect lead to a discussion of the difference between being a Catholic and a humanist starting from their common belief that being good is a good thing for humanity?

Question: What about R.C.I.A.? Shouldn’t there be a discussion about this ad? After all, many candidates have a humanist base but they do not call it that.

Final question: What about concrete suggestions on how to use this news story plus what is found when one answers the ad to go to the website?

Sources:
www.whybelieveinagod.org
www.whybelieveinagod.org/whatis.html
www.whybelieveinagod.org/didyouknow.html (Find out what Christmas really is.)
www.whybelieveinagod.org/pressrelease.html
www.americanhumanist.org

If I messed up on these web addresses, go to the main one and try the links.

Somewhere in the above, I found a link to the text of speeches.
The first few lines/paragraphs sound so wonderful. One needs to read further to find their agenda. Considering that the humanists have been around for years, it is easy to see the trickledown effect on “practicing” Catholics.

Besides joining too late to get in on this thread–a kind soul pointed it to me when I posted a new thread on secular news–I’m not totally sure how to handle this “reply to thread” thing.

Regarding secular huminist nonsense. Please check out the website that is at the bottom of this holiday ad. Also check out the various links. If you can find the “speeches” read past the first few sentences/paragraphs which are wonderfully sane and appear totally harmless.

Main site is www.whybelieveinagod.org

If you want to know what Christmas is, go to www.whybelieveinagod/didyouknow.html Notice that you have to read through propaganda before getting to Christmas.

or try www.americanhumanist.org

Granted this holiday ad sounds like nonsense or is hilarious accoding to a reply to my other thread, but the thinking of the humanists has contributed to the popular disbelief in Transubstantiation. If you have time, think about it after you do the homework.

Wasn’t there a religious ad last year by the Archdiocese of Washington DC?

Ours has group Christmas parties (different for each group in the agency). It’s rare to have one between Christmas and New Year’s since 95% of the employees take that week off.

I just read the issue and felt sad to know how people are falling a prey to the Satan. As Catholics and Christians we should be prepared for all types of trials and much more worst than this. But we cant sit just quietly. Those for whom God gives authority to argue, fight or defend for His Good cause He will guide and strengthen them. As for the others, they should never cease to pray at all times and do little what is possible in reaching out to help others in different ways.

Here we are not trying to defend God, and neither can we for we will never succeed. But what we are doing is, since we know the Truth, believe in It - good Christians try to safe-guard It and make other people to be aware of the mis-leading ones who interpret the Truth according to their knowledge and will. Our aim then should be to Save Souls Sincerely from the cluches of the Evil One(s).

We the children of God should never be surprised when the worst things happen in the world, for God has already told us in His Word all that would happen, especially before the last days. But we must always seek His Spirit to help us to move forward in life against all odds - enduring all sufferings, trials and tribulations patiently. It would never be easy, but that’s what make us Special to be a Follower of Christ. Jesus Christ clearly told us “IF YOU WANT TO FOLLOW ME, LEAVE EVERYTHING BEHIND AND TAKE UP YOUR CROSS”.

I also remember what Our Lady of Fatima told us. The things that would take place before the last tribulations. Her message was that there would be a religion but without God. Totalitarianism would prevail (or totalitarian rule) is a concept used to describe political systems where a state regulates nearly every aspect of public and private life). Fashion would rise up to a state (worst than now) dis-honouring God. And so on…

We can be sure that we have entered into the beginning of the last days. God is warning us and preparing us for HIS SECOND COMING. LETS PRAY AND REMAIN FAITHFUL TO GOD TILL OUR LAST BREATH. AMEN

Annie D :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.