Group's new Christmas message: Be good, not godly

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: these bus ads are ironic.

Believers are good for goodness’ sake. We are good for the sake of God, who is goodness itself.

Interesting you say that… it reminds me of a sign that I saw at a protestant church which read " Good without God is just 0"

Besides, according to these humanists, what does being “good” mean in the first place, since there is not even a set standard for goodness itself?

Enough of the comments about the ads!!!

Has anyone had the guts to take the ad to CCD and see if the students know the difference between a humanist who wants everyone to be good and a Christian who wants everyone to be good?

Or if this ad is so hilarious or ironic or whatever, how about asking your pastor or minister if he or she would like to preach on being good without bothering about heaven or hell? Afterall one could be good by being the best cheater. A good theif is being good according to his craft.

Maybe the students, adults or children, in religion education classes could make a list of the rewards for being good for goodness’ [sic] sake. If anyone writes heaven, be sure to tell them that is the wrong answer according to the website at the bottom of the ad.

Has anyone talked to their children about the real meaning of this ad? Good is being popular even if it means smoking weed.

Finally, truthfully, how many people are really good for just plain
old goodness’ sake? Are you?

Regarding that humorus, ironic, silly holiday ad (humanists avoid using the word Christmas) – you know that “innocent” one…

Here’s a scary quote from the Catalyst, November 2008 Journal of the Catholic League for Religous and Civil Rights:

“A Pew survey recently revealed that no religion has lost more adherents, proportionately speaking, than Catholicism.”

These people probably would say that there was a God, but why should they go to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass — afterall everyone knows that the “goodness’” on those ads means “God”

And of course, all these people and their children and their grandchildren, have to do is to be good… Mmmmmm

www.whybelieveinagod.org
www.whybelieveinagod.org/whatis.html
www.whybelieveinagod.org/didyouknow.html (Find out what Christmas really is.)
www.whybelieveinagod.org/pressrelease.html
www.americanhumanist.org

Oh well, that ad isn’t running in my town…but the effects of humanism-- at one point in time called secular humanists as opposed to religious people who acknowledge a God-- are all around me… It’s o.k. to skip the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, don’t need to go to Confession, I’ll just be good :wink:

You might not live in the correct area, then. I remember reading some time back about a whole series of “God Speaks” billboards. The one I rememer off the top of my head is “Don’t make Me come down there!” :slight_smile:

Here’s a link to a story about the billboards:
offbeatenough.com/2007/04/26/god-speaks-through-billboards/

In Forest Park, a suburb near Chicago, there was a bench with that section from Romans (I think) that said no one who was a gay, an adulterer, a girly, (? who knew, Paul didn’t like the trannies, either)… would get to heaven. It was from some Christian group. Eventually, another Christian group sponsored a bench (right across the street) that said hate is not a family value with a big old rainbow on it.

And the battle of the benches was on.

Eventually both benches got kind of ratty and were replaced by enclosed bus stops that advertise movies.

Good story. Maybe the moral should be "united we stand, divided we both get replaced by material secularism.

The goals of the American Humanist Association are also directed to Jewish people as well as Christians.

Would you mind looking at www.whybelieveinagod.org ? and check the links. The underlying theme is that anyone who believes in a God should be replaced by … If one goes by the movies – the basic moral principles of both our faiths are being replaced.

Truthfully, I find I have more in common with the Humanists. The Christians have historically caused non-Christians more trouble in this nation than have humanists. The prayer in public schools tended to be rather Christian. The bible they read? King James. The 10 Commandments they like to post? The Protestant variation. Requiring stores and car lots to be closed on Sunday hurt people whose Sabbath is not on Sunday. I prefer the vision of neutrality proposed by the humanists.

C.S. Lewis had the best answer for this. If you claim to know what good is then, you have to have a reference point for good. To the atheist what is your reference point? What you think is good is good then. Then all I have to say is says who? Good becomes a mere opinion in atheism. They have no answer and they never will.

You prefer atheism to Christianity. Is Judaism closer to atheism than it is to Christianity? Most atheists are more vociferous in their attacks against the Bible in regard to the Torah. This God is so harsh and seemingly cruel when compared to Jesus. So, what makes you Jewish? Is it because you believe in the Torah that all the atheists mock? I’m confused. Could you please explain this to me? If you don’t believe the Torah, then what makes you Jewish?

For goodness sake why not God ?

Regarding Post 28,

Dear a_cermak,

Thank you for your reply to my post.

I would like to discuss with you a couple of things in your thoughtful response. But first I need to get back to www.whybelieveinagod.org and recheck their current statements about the goals of humanism and how they are to be acheived in the 21st century.

Being an old granny, I remember when stores were closed on Sunday and I also remember when I first heard about humanism only it was described as secular humanism. It is my gut instinct
that humanism has shifted quite a bit. I do think that all theists, regardless of religious affiliation, should be concerned about this particular holiday ad. Or at the very least informed.

Just an added thought about the Hebrew scriptures. Wouldn’t it be a good idea if more people read Isaiah 55: 8-9?

Blessings,
grannymh

God is goodness itself. The bus ads are ironic :wink:

Go ahead and attend the party, but call it an Advent party. WHen they gove you a puzzled look, it is your chance to talk a little bit about the Catholic faith

I don’t prefer atheism to Judaism. I prefer that the government and the public commons remain neutral. I feel that Humanists are more likely to agree with that than Christianity historically did.

I am Jewish because I believe in the Divine as revealed in Torah and try to follow the Law. I both officially converted and I have a Jewish father so was reared in the faith as well.

I dislike most of the aspects of the public Christianity movement. I dislike prayer in public schools, I support putting up creches but only if they are accompanied by displays of the other faiths such that they are displays celebrating our diversity and not one faith’s dominance over the others. Same with the 10 Commandments, only I’d like to see a monument with all 3 versions as well as other suitable expressions of historical law such as Hammarabi’s code.

And I dislike requiring businesses to be closed on Sunday because it hurts those business owners who celebrate a different Sabbath.

I don’t know that theists need to be concerned. After all, humanists have got the same right to spread their message as any other religious group. At least they’re not waking me up by knocking like the Mormons.

Isaiah 55:

8 For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith HaShem.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.

True, but that was a message for a nation with a special relationship to the Divine. America is a nation without a special relationship with any Divine with people in it that worship a whole panoply of deities and those who worship none. I think the humanists are more aware and respectful of that than many Christians. All the humanists seem to want is seat at our national table.

Things that I am not sure about.

1. Can humanists be a religious group when they are currently advertising that there is no reason to believe in a god, including the Divine as well as the panoply of deities referenced above.

2. Doesn’t the Divine, with infintie and eternal love, care about all people as individuals? So why would messages be limited to a specific nation?

3. For a moment, can we set aside your historical books and the issue of Jesus Christ and look to the messages of the Divine?
    Then, since I worship the same Divine as you do, shouldn’t I be inspired by the messages of Isaiah and the Psalms, etc.?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.