Grow your own organs

I’m not an Oprah fan but this show caught my eye and attention. Apparently it is now possible to grow organs using a mold and your own tissue. It is very Star Trek like stuff. They also did segments about how it is possible to extend life now to 150 years! It all seems a little strange to me. I wonder how the Church would feel about most of this stuff. Unlike some I don’t want to live forever. I would like to be around to see my grandchildren.
oprah.com/dated/oprahshow/oprahshow-20090305-dr-oz-life-extension

The Oprah Show is evil. Organ growing is unethical.

This is cool.

FYI, the Church has not called tissue regeneration unethical. The example in the video clip didn’t even use embryonic stem cells.

I shudder to think of it. I can’t even get tomatoes to grow properly – they take one look around and immediately try to burrow their way out. I’d hate to think what would happen if I tried to grow my own organs.

Almost sounds like one of those ads that used to be in the back of comic books when I was growing up, next to the ads for X-ray glasses and Sea Monkeys.

I’d probably end up with a pipe organ.

Grow my own organs? Great! Where can I get seeds for a Hammond C3 with a Leslie speaker?

:D:p

DaveBj

Ah! The classics! None of that synthesized stuff, just pure organic sound!

That’s what came to mind for me as well…I always wanted to buy that hovercraft kit. :stuck_out_tongue:

How do they figure people can live to be 150? They would have to regenerate all of the cells in the human body. Everything eventually gets old and dies. The body doesn’t just shut down because of one thing going wrong…they all eventually die. What would it profit a person to grow an heart, but not have kidneys that worked…or vice versa. Ya know what I mean?

Most people manage to see their grandchildren w/o benefit of organ transplants – nor major surgery for that matter.

As for organ-growing, it may not be a panacea. Scientists have already experimented with cloning animals and then giving them organ transplants from their clone “twins”. Guess what? They have rejection problems, just the same as with a regular transplant.

It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.