Growing number of Americans who don't claim a religious affiliation

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_REL_RELIGION_BRIEFS?SITE=NYONE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The Profile of the No Religion Population" takes a deeper look at data collected for the American Religious Identification Survey 2008, which was released earlier this year by Trinity College.
The report identified an estimated 34 million adult “nones” in 2008 - up from 14 million in 1990. Those not affiliated with any religion accounted for 15 percent of U.S. population, up from 8.1 percent in 1990. Most of the gains took place during what the authors called the “secular boom” of the 1990s.
If current trends hold true, “nones” could account for about one-quarter of the U.S. population in two decades, the study projects.

I am of the belief that this is directly due to the growing number of “evangelical Christians”. By that I am referring to the people that go to college campuses and yell at everyone telling them they are going to Hell, people like Westoboro Baptist Church that go and protest soldiers funerals shouting that it is God’s punishment for America accepting homosexuals, etc. In the same amount of time that the number of “nons” has gone up, the number of those evangelicals has drastically increased, more than 10 fold in the statistics I read. I do not think those two things are a coincidence at all. I think it’s pretty obvious that Evangelicals are turning people off to religion. I know before I converted to Catholicism I had some experiences with such evangelicals and it vastly turned me off to religion. If it wasn’t for the openness and love I received from the Catholic Church I would still refer to myself as a none. Thank God the Catholic Church was here to save me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.