Guardian Angels for pets?

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this…

I was wondering if there is any Catholic source that confirms or denies whether animals have guardian angels?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here! :slight_smile:

I don’t know of any source, but we can ask ourselves what the purpose of having a Guardian angel. What is the angel’s job? When we understand it, we know if a pet needs a guardian angel or not.

I personally think there is no guardian angel for pet.

Having just lost my beloved 19-year old kitty, I firmly believe that pets have guardian angels. During his last year, as he became sicker and more weak, every day, before I left for work, I said a little prayer that St. Francis look over my little guy while I was away.

I believe he did.

I’m so sorry about your kitty. :frowning: Pets become so much a part of you and your family, they are hard to lose.
Thank you for your answer. :slight_smile:

The dog that we have we took in last Sept. not knowing that she was pregnant. We decided we would just keep her and deal with the forthcoming puppies though we knew nothing about it and were worried about space. She ended up giving birth to two stillborn puppies. :frowning: It was a difficult delivery and I prayed to St. Francis to watch over her. I also believe that he did.

The real reason that I was asking this question was because we are going to be leaving on a short trip and we are going to be boarding our girl for three nights at the vet. I’ve asked St. Francis to watch over her and comfort her while we’re away but I wondered if she had a guardian angel that I could also ask. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s the first time we’ll be leaving her and I am feeling a little apprehensive about leaving her. I know she’ll be taken care of, I just think that she’ll be confused.

You should definately keep praying to St. Francis. He’ll watch over your girl, I’m sure of it!

Our pets become like our children, I miss my little guy dearly. He died on St. Patrick’s day and I still look for him when I come home. It’s very hard.

I’ll keep your girl in my prayers; I’m sure she’ll be okay! Just remember to take something that smells like home: a blanket she likes or a sweater you’ve worn, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.