Guardian Angels

I’ve learned that each of us has guardian angel. If so, I pressume that the total number of guradian angels is proportional to the total population. Were guardian angels created right after God created the heaven and the earth, the light, air, grass, herbs, fruit trees, animals, man & woman, and other living creatures? Does guardian angels increase as the population increase? Can anyone provide biblical evidence about guardian angel creation? Aren’t guardian angels same as holy spirit that it doesn’t have to be born?

All angels were created at the same time - no new ones are created for new humans.

Angels are not the same as the Holy Ghost, which is the third person of the Blessed Trinity and has no beginning. God has always existed.

The angels, although a spirit, were created by God

There are multiple scriptural references for angels (See This Link. There is not a specific scriptural reference for the creation of guardian angels but remember that, as Catholics, we are guided by BOTH scripture and apostolic tradition, which St. John prepares us for at the end of his gospel by saying that there is MUCH more than is written in scripture, especially concerning Christ that was impossible to document through sheer volume, but was handed down in teachings which have been incorporated into the Deposit of Faith of the Catholic Church. Therefore, you must not always expect to find written confirmation in scripture but be guided by the infallibility that Christ gave to the church in preserving His faith and teachings, even if they are not specifically referenced in the bible.

Funny, I’d never thought about the number of Angels upon Creation of the world. That sets me to thinking - and to ask - IF no new Angels have been created since earth’s beginning, and since we are told that we EACH have one during our lives…then, does that mean (1) that God created the exact number at the Beginning OR (2) that God re-assigns an Angel to a newborn once someone has died? I’d never thought about this.
Very interesting question.:thumbsup:

Oh, Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Pray for us !

Tough to say for sure, although God certainly knew at the beginning of Creation everything that would thenceforward happen, including exactly how many people would be born, so it stands to reason that he could create precisely the right number of guardian angels.

Can we assume that every aborted child also has a guardian angel?

Wow, that is a very good question. I am hoping and assuming the answer is yes every aborted child has a Guardian Angel. :slight_smile:

realcatholictv.com/share/watch.php?vidID=bsic-2010-05-09

michael voris explain the nature of angles according to the Church

The Church teaching on angels:

I. THE ANGELS

The existence of angels - a truth of faith

CCC 328 The existence of the spiritual, non-corporeal beings that Sacred Scripture usually calls “angels” is a truth of faith. The witness of Scripture is as clear as the unanimity of Tradition.

Who are they?

CCC 329 St. Augustine says: “‘Angel’ is the name of their office, not of their nature. If you seek the name of their nature, it is ‘spirit’; if you seek the name of their office, it is ‘angel’: from what they are, ‘spirit’, from what they do, ‘angel.’” With their whole beings the angels are servants and messengers of God. Because they “always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven” they are the “mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word”.

CCC 330 As purely spiritual creatures angels have intelligence and will: they are personal and immortal creatures, surpassing in perfection all visible creatures, as the splendor of their glory bears witness.

Christ “with all his angels”

CCC 331 Christ is the center of the angelic world. They are his angels: "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him. . " They belong to him because they were created through and for him: "for in him all things were created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities - all things were created through him and for him."They belong to him still more because he has made them messengers of his saving plan: “Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to serve, for the sake of those who are to obtain salvation?”

CCC 332 Angels have been present since creation and throughout the history of salvation, announcing this salvation from afar or near and serving the accomplishment of the divine plan: they closed the earthly paradise; protected Lot; saved Hagar and her child; stayed Abraham’s hand; communicated the law by their ministry; led the People of God; announced births and callings; and assisted the prophets, just to cite a few examples. Finally, the angel Gabriel announced the birth of the Precursor and that of Jesus himself.1

CCC 333 From the Incarnation to the Ascension, the life of the Word incarnate is surrounded by the adoration and service of angels. When God “brings the firstborn into the world, he says: ‘Let all God’s angels worship him.’” Their song of praise at the birth of Christ has not ceased resounding in the Church’s praise: “Glory to God in the highest!” They protect Jesus in his infancy, serve him in the desert, strengthen him in his agony in the garden, when he could have been saved by them from the hands of his enemies as Israel had been. Again, it is the angels who “evangelize” by proclaiming the Good News of Christ’s Incarnation and Resurrection. They will be present at Christ’s return, which they will announce, to serve at his judgment.

The angels in the life of the Church

CCC 334 In the meantime, the whole life of the Church benefits from the mysterious and powerful help of angels.

CCC 335 In her liturgy, the Church joins with the angels to adore the thrice-holy God. She invokes their assistance (in the funeral liturgy’s In Paradisum deducant te angeli. . .“May the angels lead you into Paradise. . .”]). Moreover, in the “Cherubic Hymn” of the Byzantine Liturgy, she celebrates the memory of certain angels more particularly (St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael, and the guardian angels).

CCC 336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.

Thank you for the excellent replies. Follow-up question: When a person dies where does his/her guardian angel go?

As our guardian angel is only with us from conception to death I guess they are either reassigned upon conception of a new life or return to Heaven.

Thank you. Let me put a little tweak. When a person died and went to hell where does his/her guardian angel go?

I guess heaven is still a place where guardian angels go even a person went to hell. But are there bad angels assigned to some persons? When I say “bad angels”, I mean something like Satan who rebelled against God.

Quote:*As our guardian angel is only with us from conception to death I guess they are either reassigned upon conception of a new life or return to Heaven. *

Not true, according to private revelation (Maria Sima); your Guardian Angel accompanies you to Purgatory whether this is 40 mins or 400yrs. It seems we need him until we enter the Beatific Vision. Whether he remains with us for eternity, no one seems to know.

Private revelations are NOT Church doctrine and in the case you quote it is wrong and contradicts the Church.

The Church teaching on guardian angels:

CCC 336 From its** beginning until death**, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.

Its all in the prayer books.

im assuming that would be demonic possesion

There are many saints who had private revelations. There are many books written about them (the saints) and their private revelations. Are you saying none of the visions that all the past Saints have encountered are not True?

Someone’s taking the CCC’s statements in a more direct and unambiguous way than they are written or meant.

Come now, do you truly think that this is a statement against guardian angels being with people after death? :slight_smile:

The underlined highlighted phrase does not imply that the ministry of guardian angels ends with death, any more than the expression that Joseph did not have carnal relations with Mary until the birth of Jesus implies that he did so afterward.

On the contrary, I would suggest that Mt. 18.10 is good evidence for permanent assignment since “their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father . . .”

I think we are in the realm of theological speculation here so I put a lot of weight on the opinions of reputable theologians. We had a long discussion about aspects of guardian angels in graduate class on moral theology. I can’t recall all his sources, but our Dominican professor held that the guardian angels were “assigned” before the existence of their charges and remain with them into eternity.

Certainly the ministry of the guardian changes with one’s death but that does not mean that angel ceases to have a particular relationship to the person. My guardian role with respect to my children will change but I will always be their parent. I look forward to joining my angel in the beatific vision.

AMDG
jsa

The CCC is not unclear. Beginning to death means what it says. Our guardian angel is with us from the moment of conception until our earthly death. There is no requirement for the guardian angel after that as we are either condemned and go to Hell (no guardian angels there) or we are saved (Heaven or likely Purgatory first) so no need for the guardian angel then.
So whatever your Dominican professor told you I go along with the Church teaching which is very clear.

I am saying the following:

1. I believe in some private revelations, but not necessarily everything contained in them.

2. The Church does NOT require anyone to believe in private revelations, even those which it deems worthy of belief and any Catholic who does not believe in any private revelations is no less a complete and faithful Catholic.

3. Private revelations often contain inaccuracies and contradictions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.