Guardian Angels

Hi,

Today about an hour ago, I guess I became “aware” of my guardian angel. I’m not sure what to say about this. I went to a healing service and one of my friends said something about guardian angels, and it just didn’t register with me. It was like an intellectual idea.

Well, I guess tonight I really started talking to my guardian angel, and I just feel kind of weird doing it. Are there any good resources on guardian angels specifically. I really just feel like I made a new best friend, and it just seems like the craziest thing I’ve ever thought of.

Joshua

amazon.com/All-About-Angels-Paul-OSullivan/dp/0895553880

Great book & author. I love the holy angels. Great friends & bring us closer to our Lord & King Jesus.

I’ve tried having my guardian angel carry messages to other people’s and the results have been interesting.

1 Like

My Church has this book in its library and it is what instigated me to actually recognize the existence of my guardian angel. I’m just blown away that he (or she??? I know that angels don’t have a sex, but I don’t know how to refer to them individually) has been there my whole life covering my butt and I just never recognized or even acknowledged him or her. I tried saying prayers to my guardian angel but I felt like I was just being whacko or something. I gave a friend at church a St. Michael the Archangel prayer card. I knew his wife was filing for divorce against him but I didn’t say anything about it. I waited until it came up in conversation at breakfast with a couple other friends from church, and then I suggested he pray to St. Raphael, St. Monica, and St. Thomas More. I’ve been praying to the three angels named in the Bible but I never thought about my own personal guardian angel. I guess if God gives each of us a personal “prayer secretary” as I jokingly now call them, it organizes things quite well. I’m not pestering God all the time because He gave me a unique best friend to help me all the time.

This is just really blowing my mind away right now.

Joshua

I’d suggest just saying the prayer to your guardian angel and trusting in your angel.

Angel of God, my guardian dear
to whom God’s love commits me here
ever this day be at my side
to light and guard
to rule and guide
Amen

Yeah, I’m a convert from Protestantism so while I don’t have a problem in theory with praying to saints and angels I sometimes get scrupulous about how to word things or what to expect. I don’t want to get things wrong and ask Mary or my guardian angel directly for favors when it’s theologically incorrect or something.

Like “My guardian angel, lead me to my future wife.”

vs.

“My guardian angel, pray for me that God may lead me to my future wife.”

I mean, I see plenty of written prayers to be recited that practically ask them to do something out of their own power, but I’m still a bit anxious that it could be idolatrous.

Here are some prayers-

PRAYERS & LITANY TO OUR GUARDIAN ANGEL

O Angel of God my guardian dear, to whom His love commits me here, ever this day (night) be at my side to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.

O Holy Angel to whose care God in His Mercy, hath committed me, thou who assistest me in my wants, who consolest me in my afflictions, who supportest me when dejected, and who constantly obtainest for me new favours; I return thee now most sincere and humble thanks; and I conjure thee, O amiable Guide to continue still thy care; to defend me against my enemies; to remove from me the occasions of sin; to obtain for me a docility to thy holy inspirations; to protect me, in particular, at the hour of my death; and then conduct me to the mansions of eternal repose. Amen.

O Holy Guardian Angel, my dear friend and solicitous guide on the dangerous way of life, to thee be heartfelt thanks for the numberless benefits which have been granted me through thy love and goodness and for the powerful help by which thou hast preserved me from so many dangers and temptations. I beg of thee, let me further experience thy love and thy care. Avert from me all danger, increase in me horror for sin and love for all that is good. Be a counsellor and consoler to me in all the affairs of my life, and when my life draws to a close, conduct my soul through the valley of death into the kingdom of eternal peace, so that in eternity we may together praise God and rejoice in His glory. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Angel of God, make me worthy of thy tender love, thy celestial companionship and thy never failing protection!

PRAYER TO OUR GUARDIAN ANGEL
(By St Gertrude)

O most Holy Angel of God, appointed by Him to be my guardian, I give thee thanks for all the benefits which thou hast ever bestowed on me in body and in soul. I praise and glorify thee that thou dost condescend to assist me with such patient fidelity and to defend me against all the assaults of my enemies. Blessed be the hour in which thou wast assigned to me for me guardian, my defender and my patron. In acknowledgment of and in return for all thy loving ministries to me from my youth up, I offer thee the infinitely precious and noble Heart of Jesus, and I firmly purpose to obey thee henceforward and most faithfully to serve my God. Amen.

PRAYER TO OUR GUARDIAN ANGEL
IF WE ARE UNABLE TO GO TO MASS

O holy Angel at my side
Go to the Church for me
Kneel in my place at Holy Mass
Where I desire to be
At Offertory in my stead
Take all I am and own
And place it as a Sacrifice
Upon the Altar Throne
At Holy Consecration’s bell
Adore with Seraph’s love
My Jesus hidden in the Host
Come down from Heaven above
Then pray for those I dearly love
And those who cause me grief
That Jesus’ Blood may cleanse all hearts
And suffering souls relieve
And when the Priest Communion takes
Oh bring my Lord to me
That his sweet Heart may rest on mine
And I his Temple be
Pray that this Sacrifice Divine
May mankind’s sins efface
Then bring me Jesus’ blessing home
The pledge of every grace.

LITANY OF THE HOLY GUARDIAN ANGEL
(For private use.)

Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
God, the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us.
God, the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God, the Holy Ghost, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Angels, pray for us
Holy Angel, my guardian, pray for us
Holy Angel, my prince, pray for us
Holy Angel, my monitor, pray for us
Holy Angel, my counsellor, pray for us
Holy Angel, my defender, pray for us
Holy Angel, my steward, pray for us
Holy Angel, my friend, pray for us
Holy Angel, my negotiator, pray for us
Holy Angel, my intercessor, pray for us
Holy Angel, my patron, pray for us
Holy Angel, my director, pray for us
Holy Angel, my ruler, pray for us
Holy Angel, my protector, pray for us
Holy Angel, my comforter, pray for us
Holy Angel, my brother, pray for us
Holy Angel, my teacher, pray for us
Holy Angel, my shepherd, pray for us
Holy Angel, my witness, pray for us
Holy Angel, my helper, pray for us
Holy Angel, my watcher, pray for us
Holy Angel, my conductor, pray for us
Holy Angel, my preserver, pray for us
Holy Angel, my instructor, pray for us
Holy Angel, my enlightener, pray for us

Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, graciously hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
Lord, have mercy on us.

V. Pray for us, O holy Guardian Angel,
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray. Almighty and everlasting God, Who in the counsel of Thine ineffable goodness hast appointed to all the Faithful, from their mother’s womb, a special Angel Guardian of their body and soul, grant that I may so love and honour him whom Thou hast so mercifully given me that, protected by the bounty of Thy grace and by his assistance, I may merit to behold, with him and all the angelic hosts, the glory of Thy countenance in the heavenly kingdom, Thou Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

EJACULATIONS

Hail, glorious Angel, appointed by God to be my guardian!

Hail, holy Angel, my protector in all dangers!

Hail, holy Angel, my defence in all afflictions!

Hail, holy Angel, my most faithful friend!

Hail, holy Angel, my guide!

Hail, holy Angel, my preceptor!

Hail, holy Angel, witness of all my actions!

Hail, holy Angel, my helper in every difficulty!

Hail, holy Angel, my counsellor in doubt!

Hail, holy Angel, my shield at the hour of death!’

**Paul theApostle- ** God bless you for posting this.

Here is a thread I started “Various Guardian Angel Prayers”

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=594208

God Bless you too

Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s talk on angels (3 parts):

youtube.com/watch?v=OW7Ti9bkqi8
youtube.com/watch?v=fJKaNFiNXg0&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=_BNeBpAMpfU&feature=related

I feel the same way! :confused:

Thank you so much for posting these :thumbsup:

God bless,
goforgoal

You are welcome.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.