Guardian Angels

I’ve read CCC 336 about guardian angels (everybody has one) but their role is not absolutely clear to me. If they are guardians and there to protect us why don’t they stop people being murdered, assaulted, or killed/injured in accidents?

[quote=thistle]I’ve read CCC 336 about guardian angels (everybody has one) but their role is not absolutely clear to me. If they are guardians and there to protect us why don’t they stop people being murdered, assaulted, or killed/injured in accidents?
[/quote]

While they do sometimes protect us from physical harm or death, their role is mostly in the realm of spirituality. They are there to help us to attain Heaven.

[quote=Joan M]While they do sometimes protect us from physical harm or death, their role is mostly in the realm of spirituality. They are there to help us to attain Heaven.
[/quote]

Why is it that most, if not all, people (who pray to their guardian angel) say a prayer to their guardian angel only when they go to bed and ask the guardian angel to watch over and protect them when they are asleep. As far as I know you cannot sin while you are asleep, no matter what you might dream about (so there is nothing spiritual to protect while sleeping), so what are they protecting if it is not people’s physical self when they are sleeping yet people get killed while they sleep.

[quote=thistle]Why is it that most, if not all, people (who pray to their guardian angel) say a prayer to their guardian angel only when they go to bed and ask the guardian angel to watch over and protect them when they are asleep. As far as I know you cannot sin while you are asleep, no matter what you might dream about (so there is nothing spiritual to protect while sleeping), so what are they protecting if it is not people’s physical self when they are sleeping yet people get killed while they sleep.
[/quote]

The devil doesn’t sleep and he’s trying to get into our minds even while we’re sleeping.

**The Guardian Angels
******Our Heavenly Companions
By: Anonymous

tanbooks.com/shop_image/product/guar1382.jpg http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif

The Guardian Angels. This little book reveals one of God’s greatest “secrets”–how He governs the world by assigning an Angel to watch over each person, diocese, town, parish, etc. It explains how these blessed spirits protect souls and bodies in ways both miraculous and ordinary. Impr. 64 pgs, PB

tanbooks.com/

**All About The Angels
**By: Rev Paul O’Sullivan

tanbooks.com/shop_image/product/alla1069.jpg http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif All About The Angels. A charming book showing how the angels have visited people innumerable times in the past, how they do so today, and would do even more if we asked them. Also, how they prevent accidents, comfort us, help us, and protect us from the devils. Contains many beautiful stories about St. Michael, St. Raphael and St. Gabriel; plus, angel stories from St. Gemma Galgani, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. John Bosco, etc. One of our 3 most popular titles! (This product can also be purchased as part of the following set: Fr. Paul O’Sullivan Set)

tanbooks.com/

[quote=shannin]The devil doesn’t sleep and he’s trying to get into our minds even while we’re sleeping.
[/quote]

And he has demons at his command. The angels protect us from those.

The angles, like God, respect our Free Will. They will allow us to physically or spiritually endanger ourselves, but it is under their watch that we are protected from those who would harm us spiritually against our will.

The late Jean, Cardinal Danielou, S. J., wrote a wonderful book (still available) on the angels: The Angels and Their Mission According to the Fathers of the Church.

Here’s a review of it:

catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9111revw.asp

How do you know that Guardian Angels don’t keep people from being beaten or murdered? You can’t see what doesn’t happen to people, only what does. Further, they can’t violate God’s will, so if God, in His infinite wisdom chooses to let bad things happen, the angel must step aside. And, yeah, that spiritual guarding thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is constantly Spiritual warfare going on around us at all times. based on the way most people live their lives, they are in no way able or prepared to fight these battles by themselves. their spirit (bodies) just arent strong enough. God would never allow us to be completely alone in this battle, so he sends something purely spiritual to fight with us, and sometimes for us. it would be like having a personal bodyguard to walk around with you… i think thats awesome

hi…well I’m new here and I am currently in the 9th grade. It seems to me like you guys know a lot about angels and for my English class we have to do an I-Search which is where we pick a topic and do a lot of research about it. Well we have to find someone to interview over our topic and of course, my topic is angels. I am having absolutely no luck. So I am wondering if I can ask you all some questions and get a reply?..please email or respond back. Thank you very much this is truly appreciated. :slight_smile:

[quote=aliw24]hi…well I’m new here and I am currently in the 9th grade. It seems to me like you guys know a lot about angels and for my English class we have to do an I-Search which is where we pick a topic and do a lot of research about it. Well we have to find someone to interview over our topic and of course, my topic is angels. I am having absolutely no luck. So I am wondering if I can ask you all some questions and get a reply?..please email or respond back. Thank you very much this is truly appreciated. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Go ahead and ask questions. I’m sure there are many here who would like to respond.

Alright well I will be posting things until Sunday night, the 15th. I am trying to find out exactly what questions I want to know. First of all, I’d like to know how a guardian angel picks a certain human. I’ve been on websites, and in some you just type in what day of the week you were born and it gives you the same name for every person on a certain day of the week. I wonder if angels are this impersonal and they have to have a human on this day of the week? I also want to know how you figure out if you even have an angel, I’ve been doing a lot of reading up, and basically all it says is to talk to your guardian angel. I also want to know why someone might not want to have an angel, I think this is a great thing. I want to know how you know if an angel was with you at a certain time, because I think on a certain day when I almost was in an accident, was with me. Anyways, there will be more questions in the next few days, and if you could answer them I will be so greatful. Once again, thank you for replying to my last post, I am so greatful. Thank you.

[quote=aliw24]Alright well I will be posting things until Sunday night, the 15th. I am trying to find out exactly what questions I want to know. First of all, I’d like to know how a guardian angel picks a certain human. I’ve been on websites, and in some you just type in what day of the week you were born and it gives you the same name for every person on a certain day of the week. I wonder if angels are this impersonal and they have to have a human on this day of the week? I also want to know how you figure out if you even have an angel, I’ve been doing a lot of reading up, and basically all it says is to talk to your guardian angel. I also want to know why someone might not want to have an angel, I think this is a great thing. I want to know how you know if an angel was with you at a certain time, because I think on a certain day when I almost was in an accident, was with me. Anyways, there will be more questions in the next few days, and if you could answer them I will be so greatful. Once again, thank you for replying to my last post, I am so greatful. Thank you.
[/quote]

Well, to answer your first question the guardian angel is appointed to us by the Lord, the angel does not do the choosing.

While it is true that some have had experiences that guardian angels have protected them in serious physical circumstances, that doesn’t mean that such protection is the main reason for the guardian angel. Our immortal souls are more important than our bodies, and if a person is hurt in an accident it doesn’t mean their guardian angel wasn’t paying attention. The main purpose of the angel is to inspire us to do good, protect us from spiritual harm, and to lead us to God. If and when they do protect us from physical harm it is because God wanted them to.

In Matthew 18:10 Jesus said “See that yhou never despise one of these little ones. I assure you, their angels in heaven constantly behold my heavenly Father’s face.”

And, when Peter was miraculously released from prison, his friends said, “It must be his angel”. (Acts 12:15.

1. What do you all think angels look like?
  2. How did you all get interested in angels?
  3. Why would anyone ever not want an angel?
  4. How does an angel become a “fallen angel”?
  5. Why would someone not want a guardian angel?
  6. Do people who are very sinful have angels?
  7. Can a person have more than one angel?
  8. How do you know if an angel is with you at the moment?
  9. How does God know which angel to send to a certain human?
  10. What is an angel’s main purpose?

These are a few of my questions to ask, if you could answer them that would be great. Thank you all-

[quote=aliw24]1. What do you all think angels look like?
2. How did you all get interested in angels?
3. Why would anyone ever not want an angel?
4. How does an angel become a “fallen angel”?
5. Why would someone not want a guardian angel?
6. Do people who are very sinful have angels?
7. Can a person have more than one angel?
8. How do you know if an angel is with you at the moment?
9. How does God know which angel to send to a certain human?
10. What is an angel’s main purpose?

These are a few of my questions to ask, if you could answer them that would be great. Thank you all-
[/quote]

1. Angels do not have bodies, they are pure spirit. If we can see them with our spiritual eyes they would be absolutely beautiful.
  2. Because God created them and the Church teaches about them.
  3. A person who is not knowledgable of God and his gifts to us.
  4. The fallen angels happened because they decided, with their free will, to rebel against God.
  5. Same answer as number 3.
  6. Yes they do, because God assigned the angel to them to inspire them to do the right thing.
  7. If it suits God’s purpose.
  8. We have faith that our guardian angel is with us.
  9. God is all-knowing and he knows what qualities he wants in the guardian angel he gives us.
  10. To lead us to the Lord, so we can be happy with Him forever in Heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.