guardian angels

how do I explain gwhat guardian angels do to protestents as when I was talking about them a protestant said he wasn’t sure what they are there for but I didn’t want to guve a small or wrong answer … I know they are there to defend us but didn’t want to get dragged into a debate about bad things happening ect… so what should I say in the best way???

You might become familiar with Raphael (by reading Tobit with special attention to the way Raphael acts - keeping his identity secret, going along side-by-side with Tobias on his journey. And how he “inspires” Tobias with things that would be good to do. And how he keeps Tobias safe throughout the journey to the goals Tobit has and the goals God has. In the end, Tobias has the cure for his father Tobit’s sight, is married to the woman planned for by God, saving her life, and is himself grown into a man that loves God as his friend.

In truth, you do not see Tobit’s nor Tobias’ guardian angels, but you see in that book the kinds of activities of their angels with Raphael - coming from God to be with us, and having the task from God to watch over us so that we can mature in knowing and loving God. So they defend us from some dangers, and stay close at hand as we encounter other dangers as part of our growth in becoming like Christ. And even when you meet someone else, your angel and their angel meet and decide how God’s will can best be served in the encounter.

Repeat to them the Catholic prayer that we pray every day to our Guardian Angel:

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, enlighten and guard, rule and guide me. Amen.

Our Guardian Angels do all that we ask them to do in this little prayer. God bless you.

CCC 336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.

The word angel refers to what they do, not their name. It comes from the Greek word “agelos” which means messenger. They are non-corporal, spiritual beings of great intellect and free will. They do many things. They stand before the throne of God and adore Him, as well as deliver our prayers back and forth to God. Guardian angels are with us from conception to guide us.There are many good articles about angels in the EWTN online library.
God bless.

Fixed it! :thumbsup:

The following prayer is the version of the Guardian Angel prayer that I and most people pray every day:

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day be at my side to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.

There’s no “n” Suko. It can be spelled with 2 "g’s though.
It can be spelled agelos OR aggelos.

Ah, I see now! You’re right. My sources were bad. :o I’m surprised even Catholic.org got it wrong. Although, I think maybe the sites that do put an “n” are doing so because it appears to be the phonetic spelling. :shrug:

Luke 4:10
for it is written: “He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.”

:popcorn: My protestant friends believe in angels in general, but do not believe we each have a guardian angel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.