Guardian angels

Can you please tell me when we are assigned our guardian angel? Do only baptised persons have a guardian angel? Thank you.

When are we assigned our guardian angel?

*Catechism of the Catholic Church * no. 336:

“From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession.”Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life." Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.”

St. Bernard says,

“Christ Himself in the gospel charges us not to scandalize little ones, because “Their angels (that is, those who keep watch over them) always see the face of the Father.”[2] St. Jerome commenting on these words says: "Great is the dignity of the human soul, since each one of them has from the very outset of his life an Angel deputed to safeguard him."
catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=706

Do only baptized persons have a guardian angel?

“That every individual soul has a guardian angel has never been defined by the Church, and is, consequently, not an article of faith; but it is the “mind of the Church”, as St. Jerome expressed it: “how great the dignity of the soul, since each one has from his birth an angel commissioned to guard it.” (Comm. in Matt., xviii, lib. II).
Guardian Angel

St. Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica I:113:4:

“Man while in this state of life, is, as it were, on a road by which he should journey towards heaven. On this road man is threatened by many dangers both from within and from without, according to Ps. 159:4: “In this way wherein I walked, they have hidden a snare for me.” And therefore as guardians are appointed for men who have to pass by an unsafe road, so an angel guardian is assigned to each man as long as he is a wayfarer. When, however, he arrives at the end of life he no longer has a guardian angel; but in the kingdom he will have an angel to reign with him, in hell a demon to punish him.”

“Just as the foreknown, the infidels, and even Anti-christ, are not deprived of the interior help of natural reason; so neither are they deprived of that exterior help granted by God to the whole human race–namely the guardianship of the angels. And although the help which they receive therefrom does not result in their deserving eternal life by good works, it does nevertheless conduce to their being protected from certain evils which would hurt both themselves and others. For even the demons are held off by the good angels, lest they hurt as much as they would. In like manner Antichrist will not do as much harm as he would wish.”
newadvent.org/summa/111304.htm

Further reading:
Prayers to Guardian Angels:
scborromeo.org/prayers.htm

“The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly.”
–G.K. Chesterton

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.