Guardian Angels

Can a loved one, friend or relative, after passing on from this life…can they become your guardian angel? If you have a guardian angel from birth, (if you’re baptized) can the friend or loved one replace your original guardian angel? (In the meantime, I’ll be checking the forums to find out if my question has already been answered somewhere else.)
Thank you very much. God bless every single one of you! :slight_smile:

Angels are purely spiritual beings and are not the souls of those who have passed on, so that is not possible. We all already have a guardian angel as well. However, those who have passed on can intercede for you and we should always pray for them, that they may be helped in Purgatory and may be in Heaven.

329 St. Augustine says: “‘Angel’ is the name of their office, not of their nature. If you seek the name of their nature, it is ‘spirit’; if you seek the name of their office, it is ‘angel’: from what they are, ‘spirit’, from what they do, ‘angel.’”

Angels are purely spiritual beings and are not the souls of those who have passed on. Those who have passed on can intercede for us, however, and we should make a point to pray for the souls of the departed that are in Purgatory.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p5.htm

Here’s the full section from the Catechism.

The short answer is that human beings do not become angels. Angels were created as angels. Humans beings who go to heaven become saints.

You have one and only one Guardian Angel assigned to you from the moment of conception until your death. Your Guardian Angel can also visit and comfort you in Purgatory. Your loved ones can still pray for you, but will never be angels or Guardian Angels.

No. They are a completely different species.

As others have already said, we don’t become angels when we die. However, our loved ones (who are presumably in Purgatory) can pray for us. I ask my late husband to pray for me all the time.

No, they cannot become your guardian angel in the technical sense but they can become your patron saint.

No. But they can become your intercessors. Pray for them, and ask for their prayers in return. I’m sure they’d be happy to oblige. :slight_smile:

Thank you, everyone, for your replies, and the invaluable link. Every answer was helpful.

I’m glad to help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.