Guardian Angels?

Does everyone have one? Can we name them and ask for their intercession as we do with the saints in Heaven? thanks

Yes, everyone has one as well as many places and cities. Yes, you can ask your GA to pray for you and give them a name. You can also ask your GA to speak with someone elses GA, most people don’t think about that one!

I remember being told that we can name our Guardian Angel back when I was in grade school. I named mine Peter. I still talk to him occasionally, and call him by name.

No, you should NOT name your guardian angel. You may name your pets or your children because they are in your care but your guardian angel does not belong to you but belongs to God and was given a name by God when God created him/her. From the Vatican website …

[RIGHT] … The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20020513_vers-direttorio_en.html[/RIGHT]

I believe the congregation document is speaking of Public Liturgy, not personal private custom. Anyway Mine has always been George since I was a child.

I don’t believe so …

[LEFT]217. Popular devotion to the Holy Angels, which is legitimate and good, can, however, also give rise to possible deviations:[/LEFT]
[LIST]
*] [LEFT] when, as sometimes can happen, the faithful are taken by the idea that the world is subject to demiurgical struggles, or an incessant battle between good and evil spirits, or Angels and daemons, in which man is left at the mercy of superior forces and over which he is helpless; such cosmologies bear little relation to the true Gospel vision of the struggle to overcome the Devil, which requires moral commitment, a fundamental option for the Gospel, humility and prayer; [/LEFT]
*] [LEFT] when the daily events of life, which have nothing or little to do with our progressive maturing on the journey towards Christ are read schematically or simplistically, indeed childishly, so as to ascribe all setbacks to the Devil and all success to the Guardian Angels. The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture.[/LEFT]
[/LIST]

… but even if that were the case, what right do we have to RENAME someone whom God has already named?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.