Guardians of Ga'Hoole series - Anti-Catholic?

Hey all,

I’m looking for someone who’s read - or knows - the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series. I read the first book to my kids and had some concerns over the evil group being SAINT Aggies, all their ‘chants’ being very Catholic (Sacrifice, humility and gratitude) being coupled with never being alowed to question (in my experience a common mis-conception of Catholicism) and that the leader of the evil group seemed to be described in Pope-like terms (I can’t find it again but that’s my feeling). To top it all off, it seems like the evil group is in an abandoned monastary or church.

Am I reading too much into this or am I just catching onto an anit-catholic theme?
also
Is the rest of the series like this? If so, I’m going to steer our children away from this series.

Thanks all, God Bless, :signofcross:

I never read the book, but I’ve seen the movie. I didn’t see any connection with the Catholic church at all. It seemed more like Lord of The Rings with owls than anything else.

If you think that reading the book will be bad for your kids somehow then stop reading it. Otherwise I don’t see how it’s a problem - it’s not like the Catholic church is that evil empire, and your kids know that.

Hello there,

I myself have read many books in the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series. I really enjoyed the earlier books (didn’t much like the later books without a focus on Soren).

I too was somewhat troubled when I saw the similarities with Catholicism. However, I don’t really think you have much to worry about. I think the book uses symbolism more than it does direct comparison. There is no outright defamation of Catholicism. If your kids show any concerns about it, then you should stop reading it to them and explain what symbolism means and that it doesn’t directly correspond with reality.

If it eases your worries, I read the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series when I was much younger (perhaps 13 or 14), and I still grew up to be a good Catholic. :slight_smile:

I just started this book with our sons, after borrowing it from another solid Catholic family. I just had to do a search to see if anyone else was getting the same impression! I agree with everything you said (original post) and am leary about moving on. Did you read any more than just the first book?

We never moved past the first book. I figured there’s better stuff out there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.