Guidelines needed for emergency baptism I may be asked to perform

Hey everyone. I was wanting some basic guidelines for emergency baptism that I may be asked to perform. My Grandpa is not a Christian and as far as I know he has never been baptized. However, he is very sick and could potentially die within the next few months. In all honesty, I think that is quite likely. He seems to be growing closer to God and I believe that there is a possibility that he might ask for baptism from me in his last days or hours. So, I was wanting to know what guidelines need to be met. Would he need to agree to the contents of the Nicene, Apostles, or some other creed? Also, I know that one cannot baptize an unconscious person so that is out of the question but he is conscious most of the time even though he is very sick with heart disease since he recently had two heart attacks. I also realize that it is best to contact a priest in such a case but what if one is not available?

Catechism of the Catholic Church
Paragraph 1284
"In case of necessity, any person can baptize provided that he have the intention of doing that which the Church does and provided that he pours water on the candidate's head while saying: "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

You don't need a lot of water and you'd want a towel handy so as not to cause any discomfort.
Hopefully a priest will be available.

Have you called the local parish and asked the priest if he will visit? If your grandpa is dying you definately want to encourage him to be baptized and even receive communion before he dies.

Not available for the next few months??

Communion and Confession and Anointing. :thumbsup:

Holly, you shouldn’t wait to contact the priest if your grandfather has indicated AT ALL that he is interested in the Church. And if he hasn’t indicated to you that he is interested why would you think he might ask??

Since you have the time, possibly, I would urge you to have a deacon or priest call on your grandpa and see what they can do together. God bless you.

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:301123"]
Hey everyone. I was wanting some basic guidelines for emergency baptism that I may be asked to perform. My Grandpa is not a Christian and as far as I know he has never been baptized. However, he is very sick and could potentially die within the next few months. In all honesty, I think that is quite likely. He seems to be growing closer to God and I believe that there is a possibility that he might ask for baptism from me in his last days or hours.

[/quote]

In such circumstances you are to call a priest. In fact, you should call a priest now and talk to him about it. Have the priest visit your grandfather.

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:301123"]
I also realize that it is best to contact a priest in such a case but what if one is not available?

[/quote]

In an immediate danger of death, not just you thinking he might die sometime in the future, if he asks for baptism you can baptize him by pouring water on his head (three times, as you invoke the Trinity) and invoking the formula, "Name, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen" but you should absolutely attempt to get a priest first.

Oh Holly I am sorry. No advice but many prayers for your Grandfather and your family.

Hey everyone. It looks like my Grandpa is not going to die within the next few months but then again, it might happen. He is doing a lot better than what he was doing. He has not really expressed interest in the Church other than general curiosity.

I am glad to hear he is feeling better. If he has general curiosity you can continue to respond to that by sharing with him. If he is protestant, talk about the similarities between the churches and the differences. If he is not practicing, talk about the comfort and beauty of faith.

If he is well enough to be up and about, bring him to Mass or another parish activity with you. If he isn't getting around, still consider having your priest or deacon stop by to chat with him.

I'll be praying for him.

Remember that Baptism cannot be conferred (not even in point of death) against the person’s will.

Can.* 865

§1. For an adult to be baptized, the person must have manifested the intention to receive baptism, have been instructed sufficiently about the truths of the faith and Christian obligations, and have been tested in the Christian life through the catechumenate. The adult is also to be urged to have sorrow for personal sins.

§2. An adult in danger of death can be baptized if, having some knowledge of the principal truths of the faith, the person has manifested in any way at all the intention to receive baptism and promises to observe the commandments of the Christian religion.

(Credit goes to 1ke)

As for “guidelines”, I have been looking for this for a while. All I could gather was this.

=holly3278;9868035]hey everyone. I was wanting some basic guidelines for emergency baptism that i may be asked to perform. My grandpa is not a christian and as far as i know he has never been baptized. However, he is very sick and could potentially die within the next few months. In all honesty, i think that is quite likely. He seems to be growing closer to god and i believe that there is a possibility that he might ask for baptism from me in his last days or hours. So, i was wanting to know what guidelines need to be met. Would he need to agree to the contents of the nicene, apostles, or some other creed? Also, i know that one cannot baptize an unconscious person so that is out of the question but he is conscious most of the time even though he is very sick with heart disease since he recently had two heart attacks. I also realize that it is best to contact a priest in such a case but what if one is not available?

if you have time to ask you [they] have time to seek a priest

emergecy means exactly and only that!

1. Must be desired

2. Must be with water in the name of the father and the son and the holy spirit.

But if you opt to do it when a priest could be had; it likely in invalid!

talk to a priest at once.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.