Guilt

I read that if your guilt is based on yourself rather than God after sinning, it can cause a hard heart. For example: I have a bad fear of Hell, so when I sin I become afraid I am going to Hell rather than what it should be on, which is the fact I offended God. Now I am afraid that my heart is hardening because sometimes I feel as though I am not being convicted of sins… I try to go to confession weekly and I pray every day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe you are making the distinction between Perfect and Imperfect Contrition.

Perfect Contrition means you confess your sins because you love God and because the sins you commit are offensive to Him.

Imperfect Contrition basically means you confess your sins because you don't want to go to Hell.

Perfect Contrition is always better, but Imperfect Contrition is all that is required to receive absolution.

Youngtrad gives good advice above, but you might also reflect that the fact that you care suggests something good. Just try to stay on track, and pray, pray, but I am sensing that just maybe you might have a tendency to being scrupulous, which God does not want.

Try to offer up acts of love to him as often as you can.

:slight_smile:

Our Lord said to Sr. Consolata Betrone

Believe me, Consolata, into hell go only those who really wish to go there; for though no one can snatch a soul from Me, the soul may, through the free will granted her, flee from Me, may betray me, and so go to Satan of her own volition.
Oh, if instead of wounding My Heart with such distrust, you would give a little more thought to the heaven which awaits you! I did not create you for hell but for heaven, not as a companion for the devil but to enjoy Me in everlasting love!

Jesus, Mary, I love you, save souls!

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:2, topic:308183"]
I believe you are making the distinction between Perfect and Imperfect Contrition.

Perfect Contrition means you confess your sins because you love God and because the sins you commit are offensive to Him.

Imperfect Contrition basically means you confess your sins because you don't want to go to Hell.

Perfect Contrition is always better, but Imperfect Contrition is all that is required to receive absolution.

[/quote]

Oh I didn't know that! Thank you. I mean, God is the only one who is for me in the world 100% of the time and never against me, so I hate offending Him because I do feel bad, however this whole being petrified of Hell thing is just so much louder. I know the imperfect is all you need, but I don't want to do the minimum. All my life I have been doing only what I need. God deserves a LOT more than my minimum, and I am trying to make Perfect Contrition. I feel more guilty about not feeling guilty, than I do about the original sin!

[quote="Leon_Bloy, post:3, topic:308183"]
Youngtrad gives good advice above, but you might also reflect that the fact that you care suggests something good. Just try to stay on track, and pray, pray, but I am sensing that just maybe you might have a tendency to being scrupulous, which God does not want.

Try to offer up acts of love to him as often as you can.

:)

[/quote]

I pray a LOT during the day. I have also been getting in the habit of writing letters to God. Of course I have no way of sending them to Him, but I hope that Hes over my shoulder when I write them. I do suffer from scruples, but some days are better than others. I know God does not want me to be scrupulous, but since the whole scrupulosity developed, I have stopped a LOT of sins, but on the other hand sometimes it affects my relationship with Him, which I don't want. Now when you say offer up acts of love, what do you mean by that? How can I do that? Probably a stupid question I know, but I am really trying to have a great relationship with God. Thank you for your help!

[quote="DavidSears, post:6, topic:308183"]
Now when you say offer up acts of love, what do you mean by that? How can I do that? Probably a stupid question I know, but I am really trying to have a great relationship with God. Thank you for your help!

[/quote]

There are no stupid questions in a search for the Truth! :) An Act of Love

[quote="DavidSears, post:1, topic:308183"]
I read that if your guilt is based on yourself rather than God after sinning, it can cause a hard heart. For example: I have a bad fear of Hell, so when I sin I become afraid I am going to Hell rather than what it should be on, which is the fact I offended God. Now I am afraid that my heart is hardening because sometimes I feel as though I am not being convicted of sins... I try to go to confession weekly and I pray every day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[/quote]

We must actively work on breaking our attachment to sin, all sin. I believe what you refer to is what is covered here in the Catechism of the Catholic Church as a weakening of charity:1863 Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul's progress in the exercise of the virtues and the practice of the moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not break the covenant with God. With God's grace it is humanly reparable. "Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness."134

[INDENT]While he is in the flesh, man cannot help but have at least some light sins. But do not despise these sins which we call "light": if you take them for light when you weigh them, tremble when you count them. A number of light objects makes a great mass; a number of drops fills a river; a number of grains makes a heap. What then is our hope? Above all, confession.135 [/INDENT]

[quote="Cranch, post:7, topic:308183"]
There are no stupid questions in a search for the Truth! :) An Act of Love

[/quote]

Wow! That is a BEAUTIFUL prayer! Thank you!

[quote="Vico, post:8, topic:308183"]
We must actively work on breaking our attachment to sin, all sin. I believe what you refer to is what is covered here in the Catechism of the Catholic Church as a weakening of charity:1863 Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul's progress in the exercise of the virtues and the practice of the moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not break the covenant with God. With God's grace it is humanly reparable. "Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness."134

[INDENT]While he is in the flesh, man cannot help but have at least some light sins. But do not despise these sins which we call "light": if you take them for light when you weigh them, tremble when you count them. A number of light objects makes a great mass; a number of drops fills a river; a number of grains makes a heap. What then is our hope? Above all, confession.135 [/INDENT]

[/quote]

And the scariest part of that is that I DO go to confession quite often. Maybe it is the scruples that makes me worry so much, because I have tried. I try I try I try. The harder I try, the more I fall, and i start crying. I'm trying, I don't think I have an evil heart or an unrepentant heart. I am well aware I need Christ and I have proof that I do, because someone up there is answering my prayers. I always say after every prayer "in the name of Your Son, and by Your Holy Spirit, I pray." and I always get an answer, so thats how I know. But I don't want to ruin the relationship I have with Him. In fact, I posted this earlier. Since then I went to choir practice at church and prayed in the candle room in the back out loud and focused, and I had a good heart to heart with Him, and I feel a lot more relaxed.

[quote="DavidSears, post:10, topic:308183"]
And the scariest part of that is that I DO go to confession quite often. Maybe it is the scruples that makes me worry so much, because I have tried. I try I try I try. The harder I try, the more I fall, and i start crying. I'm trying, I don't think I have an evil heart or an unrepentant heart. I am well aware I need Christ and I have proof that I do, because someone up there is answering my prayers. I always say after every prayer "in the name of Your Son, and by Your Holy Spirit, I pray." and I always get an answer, so thats how I know. But I don't want to ruin the relationship I have with Him. In fact, I posted this earlier. Since then I went to choir practice at church and prayed in the candle room in the back out loud and focused, and I had a good heart to heart with Him, and I feel a lot more relaxed.

[/quote]

If you don't have an evil heart or an unrepentant heart then the other quality that can still exist there is lack of fervor.

But, there can be fervor and can still be bad habits and attachments to sins to contend with. Cultivating these virtues help to break the chains: purity, prudence, humility, faithfulness, devotion, obedience, material detachment, patience, mercy, good cheer, and sobriety.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.