Guilty Feelings a wasted emotion

If Christ’s sacrifice on the cross for us is everlasting, then why do Catholics “live in guilt”’?

It’s not a good place to be, and sometimes can be problematic around other people.

God bless you.

Who says they do? (Aside from some who have other difficulties)

…they should not “live in guilt”.

We are a new creation!

Rather we live in “true life”.

We live in Christ!

We live in freedom and grace!

“If we are in relation with him who does not die, who is Life itself and Love itself, then we are in life. Then we “live”.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI (Spe Salvi)

w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20071130_spe-salvi.html

"Moreover, our radical belonging to Christ and the fact that “we are in him” must imbue in us an attitude of total trust and immense joy. In short, we must indeed exclaim with St Paul: “If God is for us, who is against us?” (Rom 8: 31). And the reply is that nothing and no one “will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom 8: 39). Our Christian life, therefore, stands on the soundest and safest rock one can imagine. And from it we draw all our energy, precisely as the Apostle wrote: “I can do all things in him who strengthens me” (Phil 4: 13).

Therefore, let us face our life with its joys and sorrows supported by these great sentiments that Paul offers to us. By having an experience of them we will realize how true are the words the Apostle himself wrote: “I know whom I have believed, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me”; in other words, until the Day (II Tm 1: 12) of our definitive meeting with Christ the Judge, Saviour of the world and our Saviour."

~ Pope Benedict XVI

w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/audiences/2006/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20061108.html

“Gaudete in Domino semper - Rejoice in the Lord always (Phil 4: 4).”

“Christian joy thus springs from this certainty: God is close, he is with me, he is with us, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, as a friend and faithful spouse. And this joy endures, even in trials, in suffering itself. It does not remain only on the surface; it dwells in the depths of the person who entrusts himself to God and trusts in him.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI

w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/angelus/2007/documents/hf_ben-xvi_ang_20071216.html

“… there is one great Friend, who is the author of the joy of all and who fills our hearts with a joy that surpasses all other joys and lasts a lifetime: he is Jesus.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI

w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/speeches/2012/december/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20121220_acr.html

If one should fall into a mortal sin - their guilt is part of their call back to God. In confession (or even before by perfect contrition) they are forgiven and returned to true life! The Blood of Jesus washes them in confession …

With venial sins - they can be forgiven in many ways daily…such as when one Prays and repents…and of course confession is even a more splendid source of grace here too.

It is “repent” and “believe” the good news…the Gospel!

The guilt helps move one to repentance…one does not “live” in guilt - one lives in Christ!

(if someone has some disordered experience of guilt …they should seek out a good Priest to help them through it into the freedom of a son of God in the Son).

I think these thoughts and it helps.

1. Christ rose from the dead giving us also the victory over death, those that are in union with Him!

2. I love God so much in my heart. I heard a celtic Christian poet write “our seeking Him is just a reflection of how much He is seeking us” So for example, I love Him so much, no one seeks God, it must be a reflections of how much He loves me even more.

3. I also think of my dog. I love her so much. I do what is good for her. Give her the expensive kidney food diet because she needs it. When I walk her I let her have her freedom but keep her away from danger on my leash and she listens. Kinda like how the master uses the analogy that we are His sheep and He loves us and steers us in the right direction and we listen because we love Him too! He lays down His life for His sheep thats how much he loves us, dumb as sheep we are, lol!

hope this helps!

Guilt is the proper emotional reaction to our sins, when it is experienced in an amount fitting for the gravity of the sin. Guilt drives us to repair whatever damages our sins have caused many times over, and motivates us to avoid future sin. To feel both overally guilty for a minor sin, and little guilty for a major sin, is unbalanced, but these aren’t sinful, and to feel guilty for something that isn’t a sin is unhealthy. Disordered guilt is just guilt experienced differently from the proper way the emotion is to be experienced: emotions alone are not sins.

Christi pax.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.