Guinness pulls out of New York's St Patrick's Day parade over gay rights

Now it’s getting serious! :slight_smile: Totally beyond me as to ‘why’ gay groups wish to be part of a St Patrick’s parade (aside from much more publicity).

theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/17/guinness-pulls-out-new-yorks-st-patricks-day-parade

*Guinness has pulled out of New York’s St Patrick’s Day parade because gay and lesbian groups have been excluded, costing the organisers of Monday’s event a key sponsor.

The move came as Boston’s Irish-American mayor skipped his city’s St Patrick’s Day parade on Sunday after failing to hammer out a deal with organisers to allow a group of gay and lesbian activists to march openly.

“Guinness has a strong history of supporting diversity and being an advocate for equality for all. We were hopeful that the policy of exclusion would be reversed for this year’s parade,” the brewer said in a written statement issued by a spokesman for its UK parent company, Diageo.*

If I discontinue my Guiness, they could go under.:slight_smile:

Peace

So, what to drink?

[LIST]
*]If you are in Europe, try to get Birra Nursia (brewed by Traditional Benedictine Monks)
*]If you’re in the Northeast, look for Spencer Trappist Ale (brewed by Trappist Monks)
*]Also, allow me to suggest Chimay (another good Trappist Ale, brewed under the supervision of the monks)
*]Konigshoeven
*]and any other number of fine Trappist products.
[/LIST]
By the way, let me suggest that you should be VERY careful about what beers you drink. A lot of brews that look to be smallish traditional European beers have been gobbled up by Anheuser-Busch / InBev, including, sadly, these:

(Yes, the loss of Leffe is a great pity)

The best thing to do, though, is to start homebrewing…and if you homebrew already, increase your production so that you can share with your friends.

Don’t forget the official blessing of beer (from the Rituale Romanum):V. Our help is in the name of the Lord.

R. Who made heaven and earth.

V. The Lord be with you.

R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.

Bless, http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/graphics/rubric-cross.gif O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peace

There are no St. Patrick’s Day parades that actually restrict gay people or any other minority from marching in the parade. They simply have to abide by the same rules as everyone else which is not trumpeting their political activism with signs, and so forth.

Suppose I wanted to march in some government sponsored parade and their rule was “no carrying of religion signs.”? It would be stupid for me to claim that Catholics are not allowed to march in the parade.

This whole thing is nothing more than gay activists being a clanging bell to pretend they are victimized, and frankly it seems to work for them as they are getting corporations to bend over for them.

Home and microbrew is the way to go if you don’t want to drink GMOs.

But Duvel is still independent and actually a fair replacement for Leffe.

Other recommendations: Chimay (owned by monastery), Westvleteren (very high quality beer owned by monastery, very expensive but money used for charitable purposes by monks so money well invested)

Duvel is good, but at $13 for a 750 ml bottle, it’s also very pricey. If I’m going to pay that, I may as well get a Chimay.

Need to just make the time and start brewing my own again. Did so several years ago, but let the habit drop the last time I moved. Need to pick the hobby back up.

No Guinness here!

Exactly. You have seen through the propaganda and spin that the media dutifully advances, calling this “exclusion,” blah blah.

No Guinness for me today or for now on. I choose Murphy’s Irish Stout. Its a far superior stout anyway.

“Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.” - Revelation 13:16-17

I’m absolutely convinced that so-called same-sex “marriage” is the mark of the beast. And this isn’t only about homosexuals. Since, according to census statistics, homosexuals only make up about 2% or less of the population it actually means that heterosexuals make up the majority of the ones who are pushing for this. I believe that the SS"M" ceremony gives the mark on the hand while heterosexuals can receive the mark on their head by encouraging it.

We brew our own, great taste and have extended into wine making, we encourage all our friends to do the same. Who needs Guinness??:slight_smile:

One of the descendants of the founders of Guinness is a Christian/Catholic apologist on Veritas Forum.

veritas.org/speakers/os-guinness/

Good points all!

As possibly the only person of Irish ancestry now living who does NOT like stout, giving up Guinness is no sacrifice for me. It tastes like something from the “bottom of the pan”.

Hopefully, the makers of Tullamore Dew have not joined in this. :eek:

According to a Washington Post article, there will not be any brewing companies sponsoring the NYC parade. However, the article doesn’t mention distillers. Does anyone know who are the sponsors of the parade?

The article mentions that, in the US, Cincinnati (along with Boston and NYC) is the last holdout against allowing LGBT organizations in their parade. It also notes that major cities in Ireland, including Dublin and Galway, allow gay organizations to participate.
washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/03/17/no-brewers-and-no-mayor-in-new-yorks-st-patricks-day-parade/

Good grief… I can still be surprised. How did something like St. Patrick’s Day get so politically charged?

Interesting stuff, still prefer our own brew, darn sight cheaper too;)

“But as to the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves know well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. When people say, ‘There is peace and security,’ then sudden destruction will come upon them as travail comes upon a woman with child, and there will be no escape. But you are not in darkness, brethren, for that day to surprise you like a thief. For you are all sons of light and sons of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. But, since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:1-8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.