Guitar Mass at My New Parish (Warning: this is positive, not a negative thread)

After bopping around at several parishes in my city, I started to regularly attend one parish that I like. I work Sundays, so their mass times fit well. They feel really low-key and almost suburban, with a lot of families. Not liberal, not conservative, just Catholic.

For some time I noticed the old Glory and Praise hymnals sitting in the pews, unused. I remember these growing up at my childhood parish, which had a very loud but very talented guitar ensemble. Violins, pianos, guitars, both electric and acoustic, plus a flute.

I was getting a little bored hearing the piano being played at every mass recently, with the same songs. Then, this past Sunday, I saw four women, three around middle-age, and one much older on the side of the altar, with guitars [edited].

I realized it must be a mother and her daughters who would be playing for us. They sounded superb and harmonized incredibly well. We did use the* Glory and Praise* book for two songs that I haven’t heard in almost two decades: “Trust in the Lord” and “Only in God.” I looked around and it was interesting to see who was able to remember these songs.

Admittedly, years ago I could get a little frustrated with the old “Folk Group” at my old parish, with their clapping and use of non-Catholic songs from the '70s. But this group of ladies really left me feeling awakened and joyful. I’m glad to be a part of this new parish.

:rotfl:

I don’t think I’ve heard “Trust in the Lord” in years but my current choir (I am told we currently have 63 voices) has done “Only in God” on occasion.

My opinion on guitars in mass isn’t so much theological as it is personal, I just don’t like the sound of acoustic guitars. I find it to be horrifically annoying and off-putting most of the time, so whenever I do attend a mass that has them I find it almost impossible to concentrate during the service.

I’m glad what they did worked for you.

I’m sorry.

Meh, no need to be. I’m glad that you enjoyed the guitars and that the songs helped focus you on your faith. I personally prefer a good organ or piano for focus any day.

It’d really be cool if we could get some Gregorian Chanters going XD

I should have put “sarcasm” in apostrophes after “I’m sorry.”
“Meh” indeed. :mad:

I actually attend Latin Tridentine mass from time to time, but that probably doesn’t matter to you.

Thanks for hijacking my thread with off-topic commentary. :mad:
Pretty sure you might be able find other Gregorian Chant threads on here.

Firstly, no need to be so rude.

Secondly, I posted my opinions on it because your title suggested that that is what you were wanting, specifically the “Warning: this is positive, not a negative thread” That, to me, suggests a topic in which the OP is looking for discussion on the matter, specifically relating to people’s opinions as to why they prefer one or the other.

I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions. Enjoy your guitars.

Don’t be so naive.
You know darn well with that “it’d be cool to get some Gregorian Chanters” that you’re demonstrating an intellectually-superior attitude of putting down someone else’s interest in another form of music that’s not widely accepted.

Or, just start your own group of Gregorian Chanters? I don’t know what your intentions are in coming on a thread about guitars in stating you want “Gregorian Chanters.”

Although I dislike 1970’s “folk music” at Mass, most of the songs from the original Glory and Praise books were theologically sound and very Scriptural. When OCP acquired Glory and Praise and started changing the words and inserting inclusive language, they went downhill.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:9, topic:298095"]
Although I dislike 1970's "folk music" at Mass, most of the songs from the original Glory and Praise books were theologically sound and very Scriptural. When OCP acquired Glory and Praise and started changing the words and inserting inclusive language, they went downhill.

[/quote]

So very true.

I flipped through Glory and Praise at my parish; it still has untouched, original versions without "inclusive language."

Quite a few of those older songs were too saccharine-sweet. However, I want to hear "Take Lord, Recieve" (Prayer of St. Ignatius) again someday, somewhere outside of YouTube.

Ok, you need to calm down.

I was doing none of those things. I presented the fact that I dislike guitar music, in response to (what I assumed) was the purpose of this post. I followed it up with stating that I like piano / organ music, which you stated in your post that you disliked. I then ended by listing a music type that I thought most everyone could agree was beautiful.

You are reading wayyy too much into my post. If I were seeking an intellectual debate, it certainly wouldn’t be in an “I like this kind of music” thread, because music tastes are generally more of an opinion thing.

Either that, or you’re trolling :shrug:

I must humbly suggest that you consider the possibility that this post - yours - was, in fact, the rude one.

What ProdglArchitect said was in no way out of line, nor was it off-topic.

I am neither ProdglArchitect nor you, JoyIsLikeRain, so obviously I hope you’ll trust me when I say I read this thread with impartiality (I also have no strong opinions on Mass music, so I’m impartial there, too).

And it really does come across as those there was polite discussion until you exploded for no reason…

[quote="ProdglArchitect, post:11, topic:298095"]
I then ended by listing a music type that I thought most everyone could agree was beautiful.

[/quote]

It seems more likely you could be trolling, my dear. And I need a cigarette :rolleyes:

I think the most reverent mass I ever went to was in a basement chapel in Austria, with MIDI music played on a cassette tape. To each his own, ProdglArchitect.

Hey, JoyIsLikeRain, I think I know how you feel.

I agreed to play for the new “rock band” in our parish! It’s all kids with a few parents, and I just LOVE the music (and the singers, too).

Last week, we added a teenaged boy who plays pretty good drums, and I was in heaven playing along with him and a few wind instruments! Now THIS is the kind of music that says “Church” and “Worship” to me!

The “rock band” will be leading the music at the Family Mass, which is offered in the school gym and attracts, as the name suggests, families, most with young children.

And just for good PR and because we LIKE the “other kind of music” too, the “rock band” is also planning on doing some extremely traditional “Catholic” pieces; e.g., Panis Angelicus sung by a boy.

[quote="Cat, post:14, topic:298095"]
Hey, JoyIsLikeRain, I think I know how you feel.

I agreed to play for the new "rock band" in our parish! It's all kids with a few parents, and I just LOVE the music (and the singers, too).

Last week, we added a teenaged boy who plays pretty good drums, and I was in heaven playing along with him and a few wind instruments! Now THIS is the kind of music that says "Church" and "Worship" to me!

The "rock band" will be leading the music at the Family Mass, which is offered in the school gym and attracts, as the name suggests, families, most with young children.

And just for good PR and because we LIKE the "other kind of music" too, the "rock band" is also planning on doing some extremely traditional "Catholic" pieces; e.g., Panis Angelicus sung by a boy.

[/quote]

Good for you! And it's heartening to see that it leads to an interest in participation among children and families in 2012.

I truly feel bad when families do the "Catholic School Thing," but are against allowing the children to participate at mass, or are against going to mass in general.

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you, I really did not feel that my post was out of line with the discussion, nor unduly harsh towards the OP.

[quote=JoyIsLikeRain]It seems more likely you could be trolling, my dear. And I need a cigarette

I think the most reverent mass I ever went to was in a basement chapel in Austria, with MIDI music played on a cassette tape. To each his own, ProdglArchitect.
[/quote]

I believe that if you look at the records of my posts on this site, you will find that I do not troll. Period. Further, I am not your “dear,” quite to the contrary, you are making me quite angry, which is why I am going to end discourse with you. Wrath is one of the sins I have the hardest time avoiding, so I’m going to nip it in the bud here.

Enjoy your guitars and your MIDI music.

Nothing is wrong with those :wink:

Actually, MIDI is forbidden if it’s not being played live. The 1958 instruction “De Musica Sacra” expressly forbids music that is “automatic or mechanically” produced. The only place I know recorded music is allowed is Children’s Masses.

No need to be apologetic about guitars. There are many places they are used and many people who like them. I never do anything with clapping though. I just use guitar to support the singing.

Really?! I can see why, though. This mass was organized by an English language group, and we also sang “You’ll Never Walk Alone.”

Not the most well-thought out of efforts, but the spirit was there. Very touching overall. I am so glad I could have experienced it, even if their recordings were out-of-date and not in line with doctrine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.