Gulf oil full of methane, adding new concerns

My question is—Where’s Algore?

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100618/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill
Gulf oil full of methane, adding new concerns

NEW ORLEANS – It is an overlooked danger in the oil spill crisis: The crude gushing from the well contains vast amounts of natural gas that could pose a serious threat to the Gulf of Mexico’s fragile ecosystem.

The oil emanating from the seafloor contains about 40 percent methane, compared with about 5 percent found in typical oil deposits, said John Kessler, a Texas A&M University oceanographer who is studying the impact of methane from the spill.

That means huge quantities of methane have entered the Gulf, scientists say, potentially suffocating marine life and creating “dead zones” where oxygen is so depleted that nothing lives……

**…All those folks who stopped eating beef and/or drinking milk due to the flatulence of cattle…and now, to have their hopes dashed!

They need to re-up their monies to Al. Maybe the POTUS will make BP pay Al.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn**

Why would you take this terrible tragedy as an opportunity to take a cheap shot at Al Gore and vegetarians?

I think what she is saying is that there is a tremendous amount of natural gas being produced without the help of humans. It can be argued that humans aided the venting of natural gas in the Gulf oil spill. But it occurs naturally in deposits far below the earth, all without man's help. It vents naturally at various rates too, all over the earth, without any means to control it.

The notion that we as humans could alter the climate of the entire earth by reducing a fraction of what the earth spews on a daily basis is amusing at best. Al Gore has put himself front and center as the spokesperson of that notion. He is a big boy, he can take the heat.

Nothing against vegans here. Everyone is free to make whatever choice makes them feel good.

My choice is usually medium rare myself :)

Methane is a substance that is in the gaseous state. Less dense than water. So it [or he vast majority of it] should just float up to the surface and then just dissipate.

In fact, methane seeps could be the energy salvation of us all. There are HUGE natural methane seeps; if we could just stretch a plastic tarp over them and collect all that methane and pipe it to shore, we would be energy independent. Instead all of that natural methane is wasted.

Some of the natural methane remains in a sort of suspension below 1500 feet or so. But it has been there for thousands of years. And some methane is in solid form and sits on the bottom.

So the scare tactics sound like just another scare tactic.

Unless, of course, lightning sets off the methane cloud and the whole planet explodes in a vast fireball.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.