Gulf oil spill now worse than Exxon Valdez, biggest in U.S. history

msnbc.msn.com/id/37371732

Here’s a question: name the top ten biggest oil spills in world history.

What is the ranking of the Exxon Valdez oil spill?

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:2, topic:199777"]
Here's a question: name the top ten biggest oil spills in world history.

What is the ranking of the Exxon Valdez oil spill?

[/quote]

I would imagine it's now at least number two in the face of the current disaster. I hope that BP is put out of business and its top executives serve jail time.

I was in Corpus Christi this time last year and it breaks my heart to think about the beautiful beaches contaminated. I also love New Orleans and hope that the area recovers quickly.

Hey it was just an accident. . . Just a few dead birds. . . What's the big deal?

The Earth is "self healing" anyway. . . . . .

This is just being blown out of proportion. . . . . . . :rolleyes:

God weeps.

This is a tragedy. Obama needs to start sanctioning BP, have them feel the fire.

It is actually not so easy to figure out what to do about this. It’s easy to say “Kill BP! Seize all their assets and auction them off” To who? Are things REALLY going to get better if the oil oligarchy gets SMALLER and controlled by FEWER people? If we fine them 10 billion dollars, then what? Where does every penny they have come from? Sales. Who is the customer? You and I. We essentially fine ourselves.

Perhaps what they need to do is dust off the old Sherman anti-trust act and turn the few mega corporations of big oil into a bunch of little ones. Then hire somebody competent enough to oversee safety regulations and procedures on these things.

Lastly, we ALL need to look at our own oil consumption demand. WE give them this power and wealth willingly. If you aren’t willing to do something to reduce oil demand then shaddup.

[quote="Returning_Home, post:3, topic:199777"]
I would imagine it's now at least number two in the face of the current disaster. I hope that BP is put out of business and its top executives serve jail time.

I was in Corpus Christi this time last year and it breaks my heart to think about the beautiful beaches contaminated. I also love New Orleans and hope that the area recovers quickly.

[/quote]

No oil has hit the Texas coast and very little has hit the LA coast. Uf we start jailing people eveytime there is an accident the jails are going to be very full

Exxon Valdez is not in the top ten.

Exxon Valdez is not in the top twenty.

Exxon Valdez is not in the top thirty.

alfin2100.blogspot.com/2010/05/10-biggest-oil-spills-in-history-how.html

The Gulf of Mexico oil spill on June 3, 1979 was probably the largest in our region.

But, apparently, no one remembers it.

Uxtoc 1

Bay of Compeche, Cuidad del Camina, Mexico

Leaked for a year; 100 million gallons.

[need to double check the spelling]

Also 1979: During a tropical storm off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago, a Greek oil tanker collided with another ship and lost its entire cargo: 90 million gallons. [sounds worse than 2 million barrels]

Of the top ten worse list, the Exxon Valdez was probably not on the list because it was so small by comparison. Might be down around #34.

Apparently, also [underwater?] pipelines leaked for decades and no one noticed. I found one for the Guadalupe oil field; San Luis Obispo County, California. Estimates are that between 10 million and 20 million gallons leaked. No one knows. The substance that leaked was diluent apparently used in oil extraction.

Greenpoint oil spill. 1950’s. 17 million to 30 million gallons. Brooklyn, NY

Galveston, Texas. November 1, 1979. 10 million gallons Burmah Agate

These are local to the Gulf of Mexico.

The biggest of all was when Saddam Hussein ordered a large release which was 500 million gallons to 1,000 million gallons; 1991; into the Arabian Gulf off Kuwait.

84 million gallons; Russia; 1994; unnoticed for eight months.

80 million gallons; Persian Gulf; 1983; seven months; tanker collided with drill platform.

79 million gallons; South Africa; 1983; tanker caught fire and sank; 25 off Saldanha Bay.

69 million gallons; France; 1978; tanker Amaco Cadiz went aground in a storm; English Channel.

50+ million gallons; Angola; 1991; tanker exploded.

45 million gallons; Italy; 1991; tanker sank; still leaking

40 million gallons; Atlantic Ocean; 1988; Odyssey oil spill; 700 miles off Nova Scotia.

The Exxon Valdez oil spill [10 million gallons] was a disaster, but there were at least 33 oil spills that were larger.

Is that oil coming out of the leak on the live feed, or drilling mud?

bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html

I don’t believe the “gulf oil spill” is the appropriate name for this disaster.

I refer to this as the “BP oil spill.”

[quote="Christopher68, post:11, topic:199777"]
I don't believe the "gulf oil spill" is the appropriate name for this disaster.

I refer to this as the "BP oil spill."

[/quote]

I refer to it as the Obama oil spill.

You’re obviously a republican.

[quote="Christopher68, post:13, topic:199777"]
You're obviously a republican.

[/quote]

Acrtually i am agreeing with James Carville who was, last time I looked, a loyal Democrat.

James Carville expressed the frustration that a lot of people in that region are feeling - toward both the ineffective response of both BP as well as the federal government.

I am not a Democrat and I did not vote for Obama. But to label this the Obama oil spill reeks of political partisanship.

BP is British; Shell is Dutch; Lukoil is Russian. There are also Norwegian and Brazilian and Venezuelan and many other foreign companies who dominate the oil industry. The Saudi’s have a HUGE operation. Right here in the USA. At Rice University, there is the James Baker Institute, which is a lobby group funded by the Saud family. bakerinstitute.org/

Remember OPEC? A gignormous international cartel. Not located in the USA.

The Sherman Anti-Trust Act doesn’t apply to them.

Unfortunately, you’re not going to get sanctifying grace or actual grace or brownie points in heaven by launching a huge but ineffectual attack against mega-corporations.

There is a much easier way. Requires NO EFFORT.

Unleash the American secret weapon: FREE AND OPEN COMPETITION.

The best way to do something and to take away the power and wealth of the oil companies is easy: INCREASE PRODUCTION dramatically. By increasing supply then the price of oil can be dropped from $80 per barrel now to around $10 per barrel.

And not just oil.

Some forms of energy are interchangeable.

So each state governor and state legislator can require all cars sold be equipped to burn Flex Fuel [mostly a mixture of methanol (not ethanol) and gasoline] … The Feds don’t need to be involved. www.energyvictory.net

So, we can get rid of those specific restrictions on coal that are not helpful.

So, we can start immediately on building additional nuclear power plants. The U.S. only gets 22% of its electricity from nukes; the French get 80%.

So, we can start immediately on drilling at ANWR. It would take six months to build the 70 mile connection to the existing pipeline at Prudhoe Bay and new oil wells only take a month each [maybe two months in Alaska] to drill and connect up. Oil could be flowing in a very short period of time and increase rapidly. Every bit helps and Alaska can supply a LOT of oil.

So, we can start drilling immediately on the continental shelf where the water is shallow and easy to manage.

So, we can start immediately to drill in Montana, Wyoming and that area and reverse the court order to stop natural gas activities there.

We can release the coal reserves that President Bill Clinton took off line at the request of the Riadi Family.

Those are just a few of the things that we can start doing right away.

Just get the government out of the way.

Actually I was thinking just the opposite. I was hoping that this would get treated like the US version of the Piper Alpha disaster and we would create an agency similar to the UK’s Health and Safety Executive. What we need is a moratorium on any new drilling until we get the regulations needed to prevent this from happening again. It’s inexcusable that 11 men died because of poor safety on board a drilling rig in the 21st century.

It’s a combination of oil and natural gas.

Not a bad idea.

Roughly 1000 people per week in the United States are killed by automobiles.

The logical conclusion is that all automobiles should be parked immediately until better safety can be assured.

Here are 24 pages of occupational deaths for 2008:

bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cftb0232.pdf

The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates [1997] there are about 6,200 work-related injury deaths annually. Adding disease and injury data, we estimate that there are a total of 55,200 US deaths annually resulting from occupational disease or injury (range 32,200-78,200). … We estimate that occupational deaths are the 8th leading cause of death in the US, after diabetes (64,751) but ahead of suicide (30,575), and greater than the annual number of motor vehicle deaths per year (43,501). Copyright 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Here are some other annual transportation fatality numbers [2008]:

highway: 38000

motorcycle: 5000

aviation: 600

marine: 800

rail: 800

pipeline: 10

Washington, DC - Transportation fatalities in the United States decreased by almost 10 percent in 2008 from 2007, according to preliminary figures released today by the National Transportation Safety Board. This marks the third consecutive year of decreasing transportation fatalities.

The data indicate that total transportation fatalities in all modes fell by almost four thousand, from 43,384 in 2007 to 39,397 in 2008. Along with a significant reduction in highway fatalities, rail and pipeline deaths also decreased but fatalities in the aviation and marine modes ticked up slightly.

Highway fatalities, which account for over 94% of all transportation deaths, fell by 3,998 (from 41,259 to 37,261). Motorcycle fatalities, however, continued to climb (jumping from 5,174 to 5,290) following a long-term trend that began in 1998 and has continued unabated.

Buses and motorcoaches were another exception to the drop in highway fatalities. The number killed in this category almost doubled in a single year (from 36 to 67).

Aviation deaths increased slightly from 550 to 572. Nearly 87 percent of aviation fatalities occurred in general aviation accidents (495), which was almost unchanged from the previous year (496).

Marine deaths increased slightly (from 766 to 779), with the vast majority occurring in recreational boating (709). Fatalities involving commercial passenger vessels fell 50%, from 24 to 12.

Rail fatalities fell slightly from 794 to 777. The vast majority of these fatalities were persons struck by a rail vehicle.

Pipeline fatalities dropped from 15 to 8, with decreases in both gas and liquid pipeline operations.

Getting back to the idea that if there is an accident that spills oil or in which some workers are killed, the industry should be shut down until some way of reducing the fatalities to zero can be found.

Well, my question is: what can be done, realistically?

To what extent are we willing to shut down the entire economy?

Is recycling important? HOW important is it?

Somewhere else, someone posted that mining is the most dangerous job.

So I did some research: … check these out:

Most dangerous jobs in the United States:

1. Commercial fishing
  2. Logging
  3. Airplane pilots and flight engineers
  4. Structural iron and steel workers
  5. Refuse & recycling workers
  6. Farming & Ranching
  7. Electrical power line repairers and installers
    8 Drivers
  8. Ag workers
  9. Construction workers

These top ten most deadly jobs repeat from one list to another.

Followed by police, roofers, taxi drivers, construction laborers, fire fighters, construction helpers, grounds maintenance

Mining used to be around #10 but safety has improved continuously, so since 2002 +/- it’s no longer on the worst list.

For the benefit of couch potatoes everywhere, there ought to be a “Deadliest Catch” marathon running somewhere. Those guys are willing to do the world’s most dangerous [and miserably wet and cold] job; so, buy crab; it’s what for dinner!! The other white meat.

Or, watch “Dirty Jobs” with Mike Rowe. *

Farming is a very dangerous job; are you willing to give up eating?

There used to be a TV show in which the “host” would demonstrate doing large and complex rigging jobs. Can’t recall the name of the program or his name. In one of he assignments, he had to sit on a platform extending out from the side of a helicopter, while the pilot hovered and edged sideways into a high voltage power line [hundreds of thousands of volts] while the worker reached out and changed an insulator while the line was “hot”.

Would you shut that job down?

I read about a job for an electrician to change light bulbs. No problem. Except that the interviews are conducted on the TOP of one of the towers of the George Washington Bridge. And you have to walk up to the interview. Would you shut that job down?

Not everybody works in a cubicle in an air-conditioned building, writing memos telling other people how to live their lives.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.