Gun-fair death of an 8-year-old

Police Chief Indicted for Boy’s Uzi Death
By STEPHANIE REITZ, AP

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (Dec. 4) - Three men, including a small-town police chief, were indicted Thursday on involuntary manslaughter counts in the gun-fair death of an 8-year-old who accidentally shot himself in the head with an Uzi that a prosecutor said he never should have been allowed to handle.

The club where the fair was held also was charged. The fair had promised shooters would have certified instructors in an advertisement, but District Attorney William Bennett said the child, Christopher Bizilj, was supervised by an uncertified 15-year-old boy.

news.aol.com/article/police-chief-indicted-for-boys-uzi-death/268116

Maybe some gun control isn’t such a bad thing?

*"Christopher’s father was 10 feet behind him and reaching for his camera when the child fired the weapon.

The father was not charged because he was a layman and based his decision on information from others who should have known it was too dangerous, Bennett said."*

The father is a negligent bastard and should absolutely be charged. Does one really need to be more than a “layman” to understand you don’t give an uzi to a child.

No one needs an automatic weapon unless they’re taking cover in the streets of Baghdad or unless the deer is firing back.

The gun show here in town every three months or so has signs posted all over that one has to be 21 years of age to handle guns, that all guns are to be unloaded, and that there is to be no “dry firing.”

In this case, it sounds like what was needed was not gun control; it’s people control.

DaveBj

The vast majority of people who own guns, take care to use and store them safely.

There will always be idots, and unfortunately, they are sometimes attracted to gun shows. Security and safety procedures obviously were inadequate at the one in question.

This is one of the rare times I find I agree with Barbarian.

This tragedy occurred at a highly regulated event and is the first accidental death to occur using a legally operated “class III” firearm. These guns are not commonly available, not available in stores, and require exhaustive and expensive background checks and transfer taxes. These guns cost upwards of $10,000 each, are the most highly regulated guns in America and are basically brought out for special events. This was such an event. Its held once a year and its sad that some people act in very bizarre and unsafe ways. Putting one of these guns into the hands of an inexperienced small child is foolish.

As Barbarian said, there will always be idiots.

Well, hearing about this and the recent story of the 8-year-old boy who killed his father is making me think there should be some limits on guns.

I’ve also heard of stories of children playing with their parents’ guns while they were out and getting shot to death and of course the school shootings and massacres.

Having the right to bear arms for protection is fine, but as some posters have said, there are some idiots who shouldn’t be allowed near a gun.

The problem is that it is difficult to impose an “idiot” test on buyers. How would that be done?

Perhaps potential buyers should be screened through background checks and/or psychological evaluations.

Already being done.

better yet there are some idiots who shouldn’t have children! This is not a gun problem, this is a parenting problem. When would this child ever have the opportunity to handle an Uzi? The Uzi WAS controlled–the kid wasn’t.

After reading the entire article, I have the following observations: [list=1]
*]Firearms should be supervised by adults. They should not have had a 15-year in charged of the automatic weapon.

*]Even with adult supervision, I would have never let a YOUNG child of mine shoot a full auto. The father of the boy bears a lot of responsibility in this mess as well.
[/list]

Here’s the latest on this story;

Police chief, gun club indicted in boy’s Uzi death

SPRINGFIELD— A police chief whose company sponsored a gun fair and two other men have been indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter in the death of an 8-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself in the head with an Uzi at the gun fair.

The Westfield Sportsman’s Club also faces the manslaughter charge in the death of Christopher Bizilj (bah-SEAL) of Ashford, Conn., who lost control of the 9mm micro submachine gun as it recoiled while he was firing at a pumpkin.

The boy’s father was 10 feet behind him and reaching for his camera when the child fired the weapon.

telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081204/ALERT01/812040278

Jim

[quote=Jim’s article]Christopher’s father, Charles Bizilj, selected the compact weapon for his 4-foot-3, 66-pound son to fire after he was assured it was safe. The father was not charged because he was a layman and based his decision on information from others who should have known it was too dangerous, Bennett said.
[/quote]

I dunno about that… even I know an 8 year old can’t handle an Uzi.
But maybe folks figured the parents have suffered enough, so they weren’t charged.

[quote=Jim’s article]The family did not immediately return a call for comment.
[/quote]

Yeah, no kidding. Maybe the press should just leave them alone.

You don’t think this will haunt him forever! I wouldn’t want to live if because of my foolishness my child died. There is nothing you can call him that will make him feel worse.

I was an M60 machine gunner in the Marine Corps, and I know what firing a full automatic weapon is like.

I doubt the average person would know, especially if the only exposure they’ve had to firerams is watching Rambo and .22 caliber rifles.

Jim

“You don’t think this will haunt him forever! I wouldn’t want to live if because of my foolishness my child died. There is nothing you can call him that will make him feel worse.”*

I’m sure there are many, many people in prison who feel haunted by what they did or at least pretend to. Shall we let them all free under the “You feel bad” statute? He let an 8 year old use an uzi and he was fishing for his camera because he thought it was cool.

At the very least his proven himself an unfit parent and if he has any other kids they should be taken away.

The father is sort of “exhibit A” for the need for firearms education. We have a lot of guns in the society, and people should understand the dangers of them and how to be safe around them.

That being so, he obviously depended on a supposed “expert”, who let him do this, so his culpability is lessened somewhat. But not by much. I agree that the death of his child is a horrible, devastating punishment; nothing else we can do would be worse, if he is anything like a normal human.

Pray that God gives him some way to live with what he did.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.