Gun Ownership at All-Time High, Violent Crime Near 30-Year Low

More Guns, Less Crime (Again) in 2007

Gun Ownership at All-Time High, Violent Crime Near 30-Year Low

http://www.nraila.org//Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=206

Over the last two decades, many “gun control” laws have been eliminated or made less restrictive at the federal, state, and local levels. Numbers of privately-owned guns and Right-to-Carry states have risen to all-time highs. Every step of the way, “gun control” groups predicted violent crime would increase. Instead, violent crime decreased dramatically.

Less “Gun Control”: The Brady Act’s handgun waiting period expired in 1998, in favor of the NRA-supported National Instant Check System. Some states thereafter eliminated waiting periods or purchase permit requirements. The federal “assault weapon” ban expired in 2004. Since 1987, 30 states have eliminated prohibitory or restrictive carry laws, in favor of Right-to-Carry (RTC) laws; there are now 40 RTC states. All states have hunter protection laws, 46 have range protection laws, 47 prohibit local jurisdictions from imposing gun laws more restrictive than state law, 44 protect the right to arms in their constitutions, and Congress and 33 states have prohibited frivolous lawsuits against the firearm industry.1 Studies by or for Congress, the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress, the National Institute of Justice, the National Academy of Sciences, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found no evidence that “gun control” reduces crime.

More Guns: The number of new guns rises by about 4.5 million every year.3 There are 250+ million privately-owned firearms in the United States.4

Less Violent Crime: Since 1991, the nation’s total violent crime rate is down 38 percent. (Murder is down 43 percent; rape, 29 percent; robbery, 46 percent; and aggravated assault, 35 percent.) Violent crime dropped every year from 1991-2004, to a 30-year low; increased slightly in 2005 and 2006; and decreased to nearly the 2004 level in 2007. Every year since 2002, the violent crime rate has been lower than anytime since 1974. Every year since 1999, the murder rate has been lower than anytime since 1966. States with RTC laws, compared to the rest of the country, have lower violent crime rates on average: total violent crime by 24 percent, murder, 28 percent; robbery, 50 percent; and aggravated assault, 11 percent.

If ya don’t know who’s packin, ya less likely to attack. :cool:

Shush you mouth :rolleyes: If word of this gets out then maybe Pres-Elect Obama won’t try to outlaw concealed carry. He says he favors a national bill to outlaw it because innocent people may get shot (despite the evidence to the contrary).

This should drive the gun control nuts; well nuts!:smiley:

Probably not. I’m not sure that there is any relationship between gun ownership and violent crime. The article certainly doesn’t make a case for one.

There are many views about the effect of gun ownership as to crime. Two are evident: More guns, more gun thefts from homes by criminals. More guns, more gun accidents involving children.

The other gun statistics are speculation.

Not according to the gun control wacko’s.

I do question where they’re getting their facts from?

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/factsheets/pdf/firearm_facts.pdf

Please cite your sources for these things. There is ample evidence to show your claim about gun accidents is wrong. I can’t find any evidence regarding the crime claim. But gun accidents involving children have been going down for several years. I’d like to know how you can claim otherwise.

nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?PRloc=share/PR/&PR=060506.cfm&CFID=3482540&CFTOKEN=76ee9c38a9a9d5ef-655A8E58-95FD-EFA0-3693E5032272CE46&jsessionid=f030c6013bbb1036acd0d1f421953554682f

:thumbsup:

This isn’t news.

This reminds me of the Dow Jones average and the length of women’s dresses. When one is up, the other is fashionably low, and vice versa, for at least the last 80 years. One doesn’t really relate to the other, however.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

What good comes from calling other people wackos?
For one it is against forum rules.

You wrote this:

Clearly what you wrote is NOT true, so I asked & provided this:

You failed to answer, changed the subject to more opinion and simply avoided the issue completely with this snippet:

Seriously there is plenty of evidence to show you are totally wrong about the issue of children having accidents with guns at an increasing rate. They are not. So you wrote something that is, being charitable, simply wrong. If you wrote it with intent to deceive then what you wrote is a lie. I don’t suspect you intended to lie. But you are still voicing an untruth.

We both live in the same area (I’m a bit farther south east but Water Tower Place is only 60 minutes from my doorstep), we both hear the news stories and see Mayor Daley babble on about shootouts on the streets of Chicago. Stop listening to the anti-gun bias and start to actually explore the facts. You may find yourself surprised by what you find. Most of the anti-gun claims can, and have been, debunked dozens of times. The lies are still repeated, as if they will somehow become true? A lie is a lie is a lie. Nothing more and it will never become the truth.

Well, actually I did not write anything about any accident rate. The more guns in homes, the more gun accidents there will be as to kids playing with guns. Not a percentage rise, a rise in raw numbers.

And that is a fact.

As to guns stolen from homes, you possibly remember George Dunne losing a gun in a home robbery. He lived on the north side, a tad distant from you. You have more households with guns, there will be a percentage rise in the numbers of gun owners untrained in gun use. What do you think will be the result of that?

If you read Sherlock Holmes Dr. Watson carried a gun all the time that’s what the Brits did back then. Now the UK has all these gun-control laws and you still have violent crime. So with these gun control laws there should be no gun crime in the UK.

I watched COPS the TV show where police officers from the UK moved here so they can be armed law-enforcement they said the UK has the same crimes we have but they were not allowed to carry a gun.

So less guns does not mean less violent crime. We’ve all read about the school shootings in the UK

Ok it’s Christmas Eve and I’m messing around on these boards but I really don’t have anything to do until midnight Mass.

Merry Christmas—Stan.

** No I’m sorry but your statement is a simple lie.**

Not only is the RATE going down, but the RAW NUMBER has dropped to an all time low.

I would love to see your data or perhaps you could provide a source for your claim? As for your story about the gun that was stolen, again that is no proof of anything, it shows no trend, no overall data, no nothing other than 1 tragic loss. Nothing more.

Yes melensdad you’re right! This is exactly what I’m talking about people are told stuff by the MSM and do not have the facts or history.

Ok it’s Christmas Eve and I’m messing around on these boards but I really don’t have anything to do until midnight Mass.

Merry Christmas—Stan.

Maybe this is why gun ownership has gone up? From a column in an Idaho paper:

It’s sometimes hard to tell whether the National Rifle Association harbors genuine fear or prefers it. The NRA ran some ads during the presidential campaign claiming that Barack Obama would be the worst president ever when it comes to gun rights.

When the nonpartisan factcheck.org demolished the over-the-top claims about hunting, ammo and self-defense, the NRA fired back that it preferred its “facts.”

In short, it didn’t want to be talked out of being worried. **Besides, nothing bolsters the membership rolls like fear. **The ads and scattershot rhetoric have certainly gotten people’s attention, because gun sales have skyrocketed “

spokesman.com/stories/2008/dec/17/guns-and-poses/

Every time that party is in charge they put more restrictive gun laws on the books and that’s just a fact. I remember the assault weapons ban. They banned the MAC-10 all the gun company did was take off the flash suppresser and renamed it AB-10 and started selling the same weapon again.

All the assault weapons ban did was jack up the prices on guns.

We just have to wait and see what BHO and the Democrats’ in congress will do.

I find it interesting that you have been called out for spreading false statements and you have not cited the sources for your claims.  So now you come back and you post a link to an opinion/editorial that is not fact based. 

I don’t think you are doing a very good job of supporting your points.

In fact all you have done is simply avoid the whole topic of this thread by posting this editorial. How is this editorial even related to the actual topic of the thread? And do you have any sources that back factually back up your prior errant claims?

If owner ship is at an all time high,…I suspect they get their numbers from the departments that register the guns.So,if the number of registered handguns is at an all time high,…it seems sort of,…well, obvious.The number of registered car owners is also at an all time high.There are simply more cars because there are more people.
But,if it matters,…I sort of feel as if it should be against the law to NOT own a gun.Right to bear arms, a ready militia,…all that stuff.
If everybody is packin’, then the punk who wants to rob the mini-mart doesn’t know if it’s you or me or the little ol’ lady with the walker that’s gonna be the hero that day.I personally think that there are more ‘good’ people than ‘bad’ people.As a matter of fact,I am suspicious of the people who want to take our guns away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.