Guns and God????

OK. I need your help here.

Today I read a news story at msnbc.msn.com/id/31111096/ that has been bugging me, and I simply can’t seem to put it into words… although I tried on my blog today at acts17verse28.blogspot.com/2009/06/guns-and-god.html#comments.

The story involves a pastor from an Assemblies of God church in Kentucky who’s inviting his congregation to carry guns into church as part of their July 4 celebration. There will be a handgun raffle and gun safety courses. His rationale is that, without religious faith and guns, we would not have our country and its freedoms.

Am I full of it? Is this appropriate?

Help?

I don’t know that it’s necessarily inappropriate, just different. In your blog you seem to feel uncomfortable with it because you feel that the handgun raffle etc. aren’t an integral part of worship, but churches have lots of events surrounding the worship experience (pancake breakfasts, fall festivals, bake sales, boy scout troop sign-ups) that are more about building community than they are about worship. This particular event just happens to be centered around responsible gun ownership. As a gun rights supporter, I think that’s kind of cool. It would never fly at my church, but different regions have different cultural norms. Interesting story, though.

No.

He’s the one full of it.

Conservative Bible-believing Christians were Royalists at the time of the Revolution.

To paraphrase Someone greater than anyone who posts to these blogs, “Those who take up the gun shall die by the gun.”

Seems appropriate for the 4th of July which is not really a religious holiday.Guns might be kind of weird on Easter.:wink:
So, why not? Sounds cool to me.:thumbsup:

Seems weird to me and I am a gun owner.

Are you allowed to bring weapons into church though? At least in my local protestant church there’s a “weapon room” by the entrance. Obviously nobody has any weapons, but still. Are you allowed to bring weapons into the main church room?

It’s like they say though, only in America. ;p

I think they should carry fireworks to church instead of guns.

Would the outcome of the annialation of the jewish people been different during WWII if Hilter had not outlawed guns for all private citizens. And as far as that goes, for all citizens of all religions in occupied territory. Maybe the outcome would not have been any different but at least the Germans would have been more causious when rounding them up for the gas chamber camps.

The question was about guns in church. This is not a 2nd Amendment debate.

I don’t know that this would fly in most communities, but he minister is correct about religous faith and guns, we wouldn’t have our country and its freedoms.

Remember that many, if not all of the original settlers of the US, came here to escape religous persecution, among other things in their native land(s). Also remember that the American Revolutionary War was us separating ourselves from Britain, and their state sponsored religion. ie The Church of England

So, yes, I can see his rationale, I’m just not so sure about his way of honoring it.

How can they have a handgun raffle? What about the waiting period to purchase any type of firearm?

Oh no, do you all have a waiting period in La.? Tell me it’s not true…

Originally Posted by urstormy
Would the outcome of the annialation of the jewish people been different during WWII if Hilter had not outlawed guns for all private citizens. And as far as that goes, for all citizens of all religions in occupied territory. Maybe the outcome would not have been any different but at least the Germans would have been more causious when rounding them up for the gas chamber camps.

The question was about guns in church. This is not a 2nd Amendment debate.

Okay… Would the germans have came into a church or synagog as quickly, which they did, to take them away if they knew that the people inside had guns? No 2nd amendment debate about that.

I too am a gun owner. I enjoy target practicing. I have a Smith and Wesson 45 and a Ruger target pistol. I would never think of bringing a fire arm into a Meeting for Worship. I do think there is a time and place for guns…but not in worship.

Really? Someone asked a question about a news article and now we are talking about Germans storming churches in WWII. I give, your right, WWII was a needless war. Armed church members could have stopped it at the beginning.

I’m done, this particular direction has become silly.

Interesting artical. I do not see it as completely inarpropriate. This is not going to be done on a Sunday durring normal worship. I love my guns though I don’t know if I would ever think of bringing them to Church. I think the closest I came was a parking lot durring dear season. I went hunting that AM and got my dear before church started so I did a quick field clean up and went to service. Not quite the same as the article, but I do not think that he is way off base with what he is doing.

[LIST]
*]

*]

*]

*]

[/LIST]
Why is it “weird” or “inappropriate” to bring a weapon to Mass? Peter brought a weapon with him to the very first Mass and being God, Jesus knew about it and didn’t rebuke him for it and we know from scripture that Jesus wasn’t shy about rebuking Peter when he did or said anything that was wrong or inappropriate.

Gives a whole new meaning to the passing of the piece…

Given that there have been a couple of church shootings recently, I have no problem with people packing heat in church.

This almost makes me want to go back to the Assembly of God church again!
Without the right to defend ourselves they can take any other of our rights away from us. It would take the supreme court just 5 minutes to destroy our liberties!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.