Guyana girl, 14, dies after exorcism

the pastor and aides rubbed or pounded on her stomach and had her drink lime juice.

Link to FoxNews.com

Whoever this "pastor" was not only erred by not working in conjuction with medical professionals, but it doesn't sound like he knows what an exorcism is. For that matter, doesn't sound like the article's author does either.

What's weird is that in order to do an exorcism the Church makes sure that there is no psychological problems and the person has to be tested for those, and then the Church does a thorough investigation before even being allowed to do an exorcism. Did this pastor just go on his own here?

Since when does lime juice get rid of demons?? Too weird.

[quote="MarcoPolo, post:2, topic:193211"]
...it doesn't sound like he knows what an exorcism is. For that matter, doesn't sound like the article's author does either.

[/quote]

The notion of exorcism in any particular Protestant church isn't necessarily in accord with Catholic tradition.

But I feel sorry for this girl and her family.

Who knows what a real exorcism consists of? I’m pretty sure the practice is just whatever you can rationalize at the time. Aside from that, people don’t get possessed by demons. Anything these people did i’m sure was next to worthless without a doctor.

[quote="lynx, post:5, topic:193211"]
Who knows what a real exorcism consists of? I'm pretty sure the practice is just whatever you can rationalize at the time.

[/quote]

No, not for Catholics. The Catholic Church has structured methods. You can see a lot of the actual prayers at the end of Father Amorth's book "An Exorcist Tells His Story." If you want to hear an actual exorcism workshop taught by an exorcist to young priests, you can hear it here. You can also hear an account of an exorcist in training observed by Matt Baglio who wrote The Rite. He was interviewed about the book on Catholic Answers Live last year. Here are many more exorcism resources, actual exorcist priests interviewed, etc... Great info there.

Wow, that’s a lot more information than I had anticipated. I wonder what kind of results and exorcism has. . . Also, doesn’t this violate free will, negating the first commandment. Assuming someone gets possessed by a demon, and this exorcism works, don’t you have no choice but to believe?

[quote="lynx, post:7, topic:193211"]
Wow, that's a lot more information than I had anticipated. I wonder what kind of results and exorcism has. . . Also, doesn't this violate free will, negating the first commandment. Assuming someone gets possessed by a demon, and this exorcism works, don't you have no choice but to believe?

[/quote]

A person always can choose to believe or disbelieve no matter what he sees. I'm not sure what you're asking?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.