H.Res.440 - Congratulating Pope Francis on his election and recognizing his inspirational statements and actions.

H.Res.440 - Congratulating Pope Francis on his election and recognizing his inspirational statements and actions.

beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-resolution/440/text?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22H.Res.440%22%5D%7D

but

A popular piece of legislation that seeks to honor Pope Francis is stuck in Congress

thehill.com/homenews/house/213588-will-speaker-move-bill-on-the-pope

Has Congress traditionally done this when a new Pope is elected?

Didn’t they congratulate him enough when they voted for the HHS mandate?

Congress will pass a resolution to honor an eagle scout. There is a reason this has not moved. And I fear we all know what it is.

Yes, there is a lot of anti-Catholic sentiment in Washington. But this doesn’t seem to be the usual cast of characters for that. I don’t have anything against the bill but it seems oddly timed. It would have been more appropriate to pass a bill congratulating him on his election last year when it actually happened.

I don’t think that this is something that the US Congress should be voting on. It is not up to Congress to approve of religious leaders.

Congress can take a resolution honoring just about anyone they please.

There is nothing in the charter of the US which prohibits them from doing so. (Yes, I mean the US constitution, it is a law like any other and subject to a legal-not ideological-interpretation when it comes to actual governance)

I bet the Pope could not care less.

being discussed in World News

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.