"Habemus Papam!" Hokum

In reading Mr. Keating’s newsletter several weeks ago, I recalled coming across this web page a while back: as sad, and pathetic, as the French site to which he directed readers.

truecatholic.org/pope/

As I am new here, the election of Pope Pius XIII on October 24, 1998, may come as no surprise to many. I recall that when I first came across the website I found it laugh-out-loud amusing and then, after reading a bit, I felt an enormous sadness for those who might actually believe such drivel and disconcerted, too, that some protestant sects might point it at as a further schism of the Church.

Just called attention to this because, in light of Mr. Keating’s revelation, I recall the chuckle - and then the sadness - that I felt when coming across this website.

Does anyone know of any other ‘popes’ “out there” (and I mean really out there)?

Ben

[quote=ben_dy]In reading Mr. Keating’s newsletter several weeks ago, I recalled coming across this web page a while back: as sad, and pathetic, as the French site to which he directed readers.

truecatholic.org/pope/

As I am new here, the election of Pope Pius XIII on October 24, 1998, may come as no surprise to many. I recall that when I first came across the website I found it laugh-out-loud amusing and then, after reading a bit, I felt an enormous sadness for those who might actually believe such drivel and disconcerted, too, that some protestant sects might point it at as a further schism of the Church.

Just called attention to this because, in light of Mr. Keating’s revelation, I recall the chuckle - and then the sadness - that I felt when coming across this website.

Does anyone know of any other ‘popes’ “out there” (and I mean really out there)?

Ben
[/quote]

I couldn’t find it but there was a thread about a year ago on that. Apparently there are around 18 or 19 of 'em. Some of them have a couple of hundred followers. I recall that one was in Spain . . . It would make a good doctoral dissertation for somebody.

[quote=mercygate] . . . It would make a good doctoral dissertation for somebody.
[/quote]

:smiley:

I just posted a similar message today, under “ask an apologetic”. Someone was kind enough to respond and offer some interesting links about these kinds of people.

[quote=mercygate]I couldn’t find it but there was a thread about a year ago on that. Apparently there are around 18 or 19 of 'em. Some of them have a couple of hundred followers. I recall that one was in Spain . . . It would make a good doctoral dissertation for somebody.
[/quote]

I would certainly like to know if there are other ‘popes’ with websites - although I am ashamed to say (almost) that I would visit them to learn as much about the manner in which they ‘validate’ their ‘papacy’ as well as (dare I say it?) the amusement that I sometimes get from the lunacy of such pitiful schisms (poor Pius XIII keeps his residence secret and there are indications on the web site that there are only two priests - not including Pius XIII himself, apparently, who must stay in hiding - who are able to offer valid sacraments). This did not stop, however, 28 people or so attending his consecration on July 4, 1999 “in a rented hotel ballroom in Kalispell, Montana”. Also rather pitiful is the photograph of white smoke pouring from what looks like a cabin or lodge to signify that the telephone conclave (isn’t modern technology grand?) a pope had, indeed, been elected (no mention if the charges were revered, though).

Ben

Here’s another false “Pope”:

popemichael.homestead.com/

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

[quote=CarolAnnSFO]Here’s another false “Pope”:

popemichael.homestead.com/

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
[/quote]

Yes, Pope Michael, the Kansas Pope.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bawden

Sometimes I would find myself making fun of these ‘popes.’ The story of the election of ‘Pope Michael’ (six electors, including himself, his parents, and a friend) struck me as funny. Pius XIII, holed up in a secret location in the woods, churning out screeds against Michaelangelo and Vatican II, got me laughing.

Now I realize that most of these guys could use some professional help and our prayers. There is something so sad about their misguided sincerity and the pathetic isolation they have forced upon themselves.

[quote=JimG]Yes, Pope Michael, the Kansas Pope.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bawden
[/quote]

Hmm - his ‘election’ is just as strange as that of Pius XIII…

“The solution to the current Church crisis was undertaken by a handful of Catholics in July 1990. Despite my strong desire to the contrary, I was elected Pope and chose the name Michael on July 16, 1990.”

And his vestments aren’t as nice - Mom didn’t seem to do much of a search for really nice vestment patterns nor waste too much cash on noble materials… I suppose that since Michael I failed in so many ‘secular’ jobs he couldn’t even afford some of the really nice fiddle-back chasubles one sees so often on eBay.

And Michael I doesn’t go into much detail about the manner of his election (Mom, Dad, a couple of brothers and sisters - what Catholic family doesn’t want to see a son or brother grow up to be elected pope?) nor the manipulation of Catholic history and/or theology of his ‘election’ as Pius XII makes an attempt to do.

As I said, I find some of these claims fascinating - in a sad, funny (I suppose that means ironic) sort of way. Anyone know of any more ‘popes’? Post away! I’m still deeply engrossed in reading about mormonism but I can always take a break to add to the canon of anti-popes.

Ben

[quote=ben_dy]Hmm - his ‘election’ is just as strange as that of Pius XIII…

“The solution to the current Church crisis was undertaken by a handful of Catholics in July 1990. Despite my strong desire to the contrary, I was elected Pope and chose the name Michael on July 16, 1990.”

And his vestments aren’t as nice - Mom didn’t seem to do much of a search for really nice vestment patterns nor waste too much cash on noble materials… I suppose that since Michael I failed in so many ‘secular’ jobs he couldn’t even afford some of the really nice fiddle-back chasubles one sees so often on eBay.

And Michael I doesn’t go into much detail about the manner of his election (Mom, Dad, a couple of brothers and sisters - what Catholic family doesn’t want to see a son or brother grow up to be elected pope?) nor the manipulation of Catholic history and/or theology of his ‘election’ as Pius XII makes an attempt to do.

As I said, I find some of these claims fascinating - in a sad, funny (I suppose that means ironic) sort of way. Anyone know of any more ‘popes’? Post away! I’m still deeply engrossed in reading about mormonism but I can always take a break to add to the canon of anti-popes.

Ben
[/quote]

Gregory XVII -

geocities.com/Area51/Lair/7170/ibio1.htm

Clement XVI (now dead, I think)

I thinkI will call myself - Paul VII :slight_smile: ##

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.