Habit Wearing Religious Orders

Does anyone have a list of men’s religious orders (Mendicant)that almost always or always wear habits. For some reason lately I feel like I am been called to Religious Life and I have always loved habits. I have been trying to look into many orders.

Try this:

vocationnetwork.org/directory/community_search?m=3&sm=2

You can search orders by different criteria including if they wear their garb.

Thanks.:slight_smile:

Thanks for that link too!

Who’s stopping you from wearing a habit?

I just stopped in as I was curious. As a protestant kid growing up, I cannot tell you how much comfort seeing habits and people doing signs of the cross gave me. ‘But they’re of a different faith’…I don’t care, at least I know they’re working for the same big ten! Kids in strange surroundings and new things going on…what sweet relief!!! Wherever they are, keep up the great work!!! Yes, we need you!!

Christianity…Heard it’s a good habit to get into!

Nothing but there is something you appreciate of being a community untied with the same habit. I have visited different religious houses and the fact that everybody wears the habit seems to give the community a different ambiance. (Note: I’m not saying religious have to but evidently the OP wants such a community.)

Ave Maria!

The Franciscans of the Immaculate wear the Seraphic habit at all times. It is a sacramental, a gift from Our Lady, a sign of God, a reminder of the Church, a reminder of Christ Crucified, it’s in the form of the Cross, it is penitential, a reminder of death to the world and life in Jesus Christ, it preaches, it inspires, etc.
It’s a gray/blue mix - gray for the original Franciscan habit and blue for Our Lady, it has the weapon of the Holy Rosary, the cord for purity, hood as the helmet of salvation to fight and conquer the devil, sandals for poverty, and so much more. It’s really cool looking, too!

Franciscans of the Immaculate
marymediatrix.com/religious-life/friars.html

Vocation video
youtube.com/watch?v=T7V3iYeZU0E

The morning I first arrived I walked into the chapel and the first thing I noticed were all the gray/blue habits kneeling in the pews. It was a great consolation knowing I was in the right place and there was joy in anticipating the beginning of a new adventure. After 4 years, it is still quite an adventure and only gets better.

"To fall in love with God is the greatest romance; to seek him the greatest adventure; to find him, the greatest human achievement.” -St. Augustine

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

fra John Paul

The blue and grey sounds lovely, as well as the motivation.

I did a little research, and was surprised that wiki headed up one search en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Order

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_habit but at the bottom of this article, it also includes habits of buddhists… :slight_smile:

newadvent.org/cathen/14637b.htm

In Ireland its pretty common to see friars in habits apart from the Augustinians, some of which don’t even wear any sort of clerical garb just ordinary street clothes (I saw one with jeans and a leather jacket, looked more like a biker)!

Religious Sisters tend not to wear habit either today many don’t even wear a veil. Monastic nuns all wear the modified habit, although I know of one group of Poor Clares who wear the traditional habit. Oh yes, and the Benedictine Tyburn Sisters they also have the full habit.

Jesuits, Norbertines, De La Salle Brothers, Christian Brothers etc. don’t wear habits, most dress again in street clothes casual stuff not even clerical tabs.

I email the Irish Redemptorist Province and they said the habit is not allowed only for profession ceremonies and hearing confessions.

Passionists are allowed the full old habit, but is worn by a few very elderly priests or brothers.

I now notice I’m being to ramble so in conclusion:
Monastic Men- always habited
Monastic Women- all habited but most with a modified veil
Friars- nearly always but sometimes with Augustinians
Sister- never you will be lucky to see a veil
Brothers- never

And also Irish Dominicans have promote wearing the habit and attribute many of their vocations to the habit. There is something like 16 Dominicans in different stages of formation in Ireland, which is massive compared to other Orders.

Thanks, I will look into the Franciscans of the Immaculate. :smiley:

Look into the Franciscan Brothers Minor too. They are a Capuchin Reform, and take the first Capuchin Constitution very seriously. They are the only Franciscan order in the world who profess the original rule of St. Francis.

franciscanbrothersminor.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.