Habitat for Humanity works with Planned Parenthood

Please, read the following article from LifeSiteNews.com posted May 23, 2008:

Christian Ministry ‘Habitat for Humanity’ Agrees to Work with Abortion Giant Planned Parenthood

WASHINGTON, D.C., 23 May 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Habitat for Humanity has verbally agreed to an arrangement that would help Planned Parenthood open an abortion facility in Sarasota, Florida. The agreement, which reportedly has not been finalized, would fulfill a city requirement that would allow Planned Parenthood to acquire the occupancy permit it needs to open.

“According to zoning regulations, Planned Parenthood cannot build their abortion facility in the planned location without the presence of a multifamily liner building,” said Jim Sedlak, vice-president of American Life League. “Unfortunately, Planned Parenthood found a creative solution to its problem and is using Habitat for Humanity to achieve its objective. Planned Parenthood plans to sell land to Habitat for $10 so it can meet city requirements.”

The Sarasota City Commission approved a plan on May 5, based on the agreement with Habitat that would allow Planned Parenthood to open their facility. A letter that Planned Parenthood filed with the city before the meeting said, “We are excited to have Habitat be a part of the Planned Parenthood team.” …

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/may/08052308.html

To express concerns:

Habitat for Humanity of Sarasota, Florida can be reached at 941-365-0700 and tsouza@sarasotahabitat.com. Habitat for Humanity International’s complaint line is 1-800-461-9330.

To me that just defeats habitats mission. They are actively working to promote a good & decent environment for people to live. Planned Parenthood provides an environment to die…two people often go into a PP clinic and only one leaves. More reasons to pray and contact the Florida agency.

I have just lost respect for H4H. Wow, how sad and sick is this merge? I liken PP to a black widow spider…just devours anyone in her path. This is really something…I don’t work far from Sarasota…and I will definitely not involve myself with any H4H initiatives. We do things as an office for them, but I will not be a part of this hypocrisy. PP and ‘humanity’ – those words just do not go together in the same sentence.

I wrote to them the other day and said the following:

This afternoon I read about Habitat For Humanity’s collaboration with Planned Parenthood in Sarasota, Florida. Building a family home next to a facility which aims to destroy families is a great irony, incompatible with the theistic and moral principles of your organization. I will not donate to Habitat for Humanity until all ties to Planned Parenthood have been renounced.

This is their response that they sent today:

*Thank you for your e-mail to Habitat for Humanity and your interest in our mission to ensure everyone lives in a decent home. We appreciate you letting us know your concerns regarding Habitat for Humanity of Sarasota. Habitat for Humanity International is aware of the situation and is communicating with Habitat for Humanity of Sarasota. Ultimately, Habitat for Humanity affiliates are responsible for the construction of homes including securing land, settling construction schedules, selecting partner families and other activities related to creating affordable housing at the local level.

Please know we are always appreciative when our partners let us know their concerns.*

Good for you that you sent a letter! The more I think about this, the more enraged I become!

Don’t they care about wholesome values? I thought they did! It is deeply upsetting to me…as this was always a mission I found myself drawn to…NO MORE though. I won’t get involved with this group, ever again, until they sever ties with PP.

I emailed the Sarasota office expressing my disappointment with their decision to work with PP, and I have not heard anything in reply. Hopefully, enough people will respond to the article and they will sever ties with PP forever. If only PP would go away forever…

Sheesh, are there any charitable organizations not in bed with Satan any more? March of Dimes, Habitat for Humanity, they all have evil alliances it seems.

I am starting to question that myself. The irony of it all is that the charitable organizations are supposed to be helping individuals improve their lives —yet by teaming up with Planned Parenthood they end up destroying lives.

I meant to add that in my opinion the safest bet is to NOT give to any charitable organization except the Catholic Church itself. I would never want to risk giving to an organization that wasn’t Pro-Life and/or has ties with Planned Parenthood.

I agree. It is disheartening how beguiled so many people with good intentions get.

Right. When I hear that Catholics that I know have given to the Susan G. Komen foundation --it’s the same thing. It burns me up inside. This foundation is one of Planned Parenthood’s biggest supporters. AGGGGHHHHHH!!!:mad:

In case any of you don’t know about this yet, a surefire way to get money and support to the people who need it most is to give directly to the Holy Father. :smiley:

vatican.va/roman_curia/secretariat_state/obolo_spietro/documents/index_en.htm

I have been disappointed a number of times to learn that organizations that I supported were themselves supporters of evils like abortion. The recent trip by Jimmy Carter to visit with Hamas encouraged me to write to Habitat because he plays so prominent a role in their organization. I have withdrawn my support of that organization - there are plenty of worthwhile Catholic charities I can support instead.

Have you heard of “Food for the Poor”? They build homes for impoverished people all over the world. I am almost 100% certain the Catholic Church works with them.

I just emailed Habitat for Humanity in Sarasota, expressing my deep concern about a decision that seems to be antagonistic of their true mission. I hope they recognize this very serious error and amend their decision.

Thanks, stbruno.

Make sure that you spread the word so that they are bombarded with emails and phone calls.:slight_smile:

**THEY REVERSED THEIR DECISION! EXCELLENT WORK, EVERYONE! GOD BE PRAISED.

**I woke up to this in my inbox:

Dear ----------,

Thank you for your earlier inquiry. We wanted to inform you that Habitat for Humanity of Sarasota has declined a donation of land from Planned Parenthood, stating that accepting the land “would not be in the best interests of our ongoing work in the community, the families we seek to serve or the broader Habitat for Humanity community.” Habitat for Humanity of Sarasota is an independent, autonomous affiliate that is governed by a local board of directors that establishes policies at the local level. We appreciate your support of low-income families in need of simple, decent and affordable housing.

Sincerely,

Partner Service Center
Habitat for Humanity International

This will back fire on H4H, being that much of their support, financially and physical labor, comes from churches. My parish, along with the other churches in town, are currently involved with a H4H home.

Without the support from the churches, this would never have gotten off the ground.

Jim

It still may, but as I posted above, they have reversed their decision to work with Planned Parenthood.

But they are still associated with Carter

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.