Had I made a mistake?

Greetings all!

I had just recently made a post about going to confession and wondering if my sins were forgiven. But just today I had gone to confession again just so I could confess my forgotten sins, and new sins aswell. during my confession I had a list that I read off of so I could keep track of what sins had been confessed and on that list was something that I had written down and that it was to say that I had listened to music which had treated god irreverently. But decided not to confess it since in the back of my mind I thought to myself since the song came from a kids movie the song shouldn't be taken seriously. FYI the movie was the road to eldorado, the song was it's great to be a god. So did I do wrong or did I make a mistake?

Dennis_Nedry

It does not seem like serious matter to me. So, it would be forgiven with all that you confessed. In addition, all venial sins are forgiven each time we actively & reverently participate in the Holy Mass.

It seems that it would be a much bigger deal if you deliberately concealed a mortal sin.

I don't think it's a major sin, but maybe next time if it helps you, bring it up during Confession.

[quote="Dennis_Nedry, post:1, topic:321745"]
Greetings all!

I had just recently made a post about going to confession and wondering if my sins were forgiven. But just today I had gone to confession again just so I could confess my forgotten sins, and new sins aswell. during my confession I had a list that I read off of so I could keep track of what sins had been confessed and on that list was something that I had written down and that it was to say that I had listened to music which had treated god irreverently. But decided not to confess it since in the back of my mind I thought to myself since the song came from a kids movie the song shouldn't be taken seriously. FYI the movie was the road to eldorado, the song was it's great to be a god. So did I do wrong or did I make a mistake?

Dennis_Nedry

[/quote]

Unless you willingly listened to the song to show that you don't believe in the sovereignty of the one true God, this is NOT serious matter and NOT a mortal sin. If it's a sin at all, it's a venial sin. Remember that unconfessed venial sins are still forgiven, AND that all venial sins are forgiven with reception of the Eucharist. Trust the mercy of God to cover such small matters as long as you repent. :)

I will admit that I did willingly listen to the song multiple times in a row, sang along some what passionately to it, but not to show that I don't believe in the sovereignty but because of how catchy it was. So I don't know if that still counts as being a mortal sin? If not then I assume I'd still be able to recieve communion?

Nah. You're fine! That doesn't seem like a serious matter at all. Don't get me wrong, all sin is bad, but that one seems venial at most! And you aren't required to confess venial sins, so you are good. Don't be nervous about all this and start asking "What if?" to a bunch of stuff. You might just be going through a little time of scrupulosity, which has happened to many great saints before and is completely normal. You are one the road towards becoming a saint, and it is actually good you are going through this nervousness because that just means you want to let God know that you love him :D, but again don't fret about this. God knows what is in your heart, and he loves you!

It isn’t mortal unless you agree with the songs message and are singing it in a way to be sinful. I don’t think it is a sin just to sing along because of a catchy tune. God knows all :D!!!

I don’t realy remember what was going through my head at the time I was listening to the song, but all I know is that I don’t want to offend god. Also I want to thank you so much for putting my mind and heart at ease.

It might be a little different if this was done publicly or in front of impressionable children. I'm not catholic though so can't really say.

[quote="Dennis_Nedry, post:5, topic:321745"]
I will admit that I did willingly listen to the song multiple times in a row, sang along some what passionately to it, but not to show that I don't believe in the sovereignty but because of how catchy it was. So I don't know if that still counts as being a mortal sin? If not then I assume I'd still be able to recieve communion?

[/quote]

If you did not deny God in your heart—and clearly you didn't—then you did not commit a mortal sin. Please DO receive Communion! The devil is the one that puts all these doubts in your heart. He loves to keep people away from Jesus in the Eucharist. Don't listen to him.

[quote="Dennis_Nedry, post:8, topic:321745"]
I don't realy remember what was going through my head at the time I was listening to the song, but all I know is that I don't want to offend god. Also I want to thank you so much for putting my mind and heart at ease.

[/quote]

You said you did not know if you knew what you were doing exactly, so that does not constitute as a grave matter, because in order for it to be a mortal sin you must have FULL knowledge of what you are doing and know that it is wrong. God bless :D!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.