HAHA some people crack me up :)

So I went to the urgent care yesterday because one of my tonsils is very swollen and I wanted to see if it was strep. My dh and kids came with me.
When the doctor finished the exam he stopped and said

DR: “so are you seeing a pimary care physician, ya know you really should be seeing an OBGYN”

ME: “Yeah we are still looking for one”

DR: “well I could go ahead and prescribe you some birth control pills until you find one”

ME: “Oh no thats okay we dont use birth control”

DR: face drops and says “You mean you dont care if you get pregnant again???”

ME: I smile and say “nope”

DR: mumbles something and writes my throat perscription and walks out of the room.

Now some people might have be really offended but when the doctor left my DH and I cracked up, we have a strange sense of humor. I guess the doctor assumed that since we had one boy and one girl we didnt need anymore kids:shrug:

How awesome you could be a great example of being open to life and God’s will! Good for you! :clapping: :smiley:

you left out a key piece of info, how many kids accompanied you? next time maybe you can enlist some neighborhood kids to make your statement even more effective. For a sore throat he wants to prescribe the pill? keep his card so you don’t accidentally consult him again. of course, in SoTex it is the custom to bring as many family members as possible to the ER so he should have been used to it.

that’s what i thought???

Yeah I edited my first post. My 2 kids went with us:)

When we were walking out hubby and I joked that the doctor would chase us down to our car and literally insist that we take the prescription for birth control LOL He never did, but that is how insistant he seemed that we use some kind of “protection” LOL

I know it was very strange…kinda caught me off guard. He must have thought “doctor knows best” :smiley:

hahaha nice sense of humour you have :slight_smile: I am surprised the Dr. said that and you have two kids?? I was imagining you in the office with at least or 4? 5 even? Silly Dr.!

You should actually report him–he didn’t give you a physical, like an ob/gyn would do, nor knows a thing about your reproductive history…for all he knows, you could have a serious blood clotting disease that would cause you serious problems if you took the pill. He shouldn’t be randomly giving dangerous advice like that. Other than the moral ramifications, which also have me angry, he should be reported.:mad:

I’m glad you could laugh about this dunderhead. :thumbsup: Shows to go ya, ya don’t have to have common sense to be a physician!

Perhaps the OP was just paraphrasing what happened?

btw, I love your new signature!!

You wouldn’t have a ‘full’ exam if you were going in for a sore throat. (and shouldn’t if the person really is not specialized in ob/gyn) :o But, you could be right…and thank you about my sig. Hope you’re doing well.:tiphat:

My friend went for a physical to you new Primary Care doctor. The doc asked her what type of BC they use and she said none! :smiley: The doctor was horrified and lectured her - ending her lecture with “Well if you find yourself pregnant, call me right away so I can prescribe the “morning-after” pill”:eek:

Not once did this doctor ask her why she didn’t take BC or how she felt about having more children. How sad!!!

Yes, I recently had a similar experience. I went to the urgent care center back in March with a horrible URI. I was coughing, congested, fever, etc. It was on a Sunday and the on-call doctor was a new doctor. I have never had anyone there ask such questions before.

But, she asked if I was taking any regular medication (since she was going to prescribe antibiotics). I said “no” so then she probed and asked what type of birth control I used.

I replied “natural family planning”. I was caught off guard or I would have said, “Creighton Model fertility care” which really throws them off!

“So, that’s like, withdrawing?”

“No.”

“So, it’s the rhythm method.”

“No”

“uh… ok”

If I hadn’t been so sick and in need of my prescription I’d have really given her an earful.

It’s really sad, too, because one of the family practice docs at that hospital is Creighton trained, and a Catholic. I guess he hadn’t talked to the new guy in town!

Actually, people who take NFP courses know more about female fertility cycles than many physicians.

I’ll put in a good disclaimer for the doctor, though. They do talk to some really dumb people in the course of a day. Some might not equate taking regular medication with taking the pill. Some of them might not answer the question accurately unless they ask it several times. Many people ARE on the pill. If you take antibiotics, it can reduce the effectiveness of the pill. So that doctor was just probably being conscientious about making sure the person wasn’t on the pill at all before prescribing antibiotics.

I’m happy that you could laugh about his, OP, but it seriously burns me up!!

If it was an urgent care, than as a previous poster indicated, he would probably not have your complete history, or have done a complete exam. There can be serious side-effects with hormonal bc. I HATE how doctors act like they are giving out candy or something! Hel-lo? These pills are not the totally safe, no-brainer things most docs make them out to be!

Not to mention the elitist, presumptuous attitude involved here! What the bloody heck? Two kids and he feels the need to “volunteer” a prescription??? You should have told him your other 12 were at home waiting! And then asked what he used for bc and “volunteered” a free NFP lesson!

I hope at the very least he checked/inquired after the children’s throats? I mean, he thinks it is bacterial (requires a script) and there are two kids in close quarters. I hope he at least checked to see if their throats were sore or not!

:mad:

that is a very nice interpretation. Full of Christian charity and I love it!

But I seriously doubt that is why the doc acted that way! Otherwise he would have said “Are you on medication currently? BC pills?” NOT “You need to be seeing an OB/GYN, I can presribe some BC pills till you find one.”

That’s terrible. My sister & I have already label the ob-gyns in our area “birth control Nazis.” Looks like their mantra, “all birth control, all the time,” is catching on with primary care physicians.

If your husband had gone in with strep, do you think he would have approached him about a vasectomy? Really, it’s quite a degrading attitude to have towards woman–when you are sick the dr. ends up more concerned about your sex life.

I don't have any stories about birth control but the last time I was in the emergency room the nurse asked me: "Are you pregnant?"

I responded; "Nope! There's no possible way I could be."

"Are you on birth control?"

"Nope!"

"Then you could be pregnant."

"No... I'm a virgin."

At this point she scoffed at me. "Look, your parents aren't here. You don't have to lie."

:shrug: I gave up trying to convince her of my innocence and the doctor later ended up insisting on a pregnancy test. Whatever. :rolleyes:

[quote="nickybr38, post:18, topic:114893"]
I don't have any stories about birth control but the last time I was in the emergency room the nurse asked me: "Are you pregnant?"

I responded; "Nope! There's no possible way I could be."

"Are you on birth control?"

"Nope!"

"Then you could be pregnant."

"No... I'm a virgin."

At this point she scoffed at me. "Look, your parents aren't here. You don't have to lie."

:shrug: I gave up trying to convince her of my innocence and the doctor later ended up insisting on a pregnancy test. Whatever. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

:doh2:
When I was a teenager I was a candidate for a acne medication, but it required that I go in for a pregnancy test every month (I was under 16 at the time) even though I was not sexually active. So we decided I could live with a few pimples.

I went in for my first OB appointment/pap smear ever, when I was 22 and pregnant. The doctor asked me why I hadn't been in before, and I said because I had only been sexually since my wedding a few months before, the doctor gave me the look like she didn't believe me and then talked to me like I was an idiot. :rolleyes:

When I was pregnant with my first they asked me (twice) what kind of bc I wanted after the birth and I said none, we used NFP. She asked if I was going to beastfeed and then promptly lectured me on how NFP doesn't work when nursing blah blah. Of course when I charted the return of my cycle at 8 months pp I wanted to go in and rub her nose in it. But I refrained. :cool:

I wasn’t a teenager at the time but I look REALLY young so people usually assume I’m just turning 18 or some such. haha. It’s fun.

sigh This world we live in eh? People are so jaded.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.