Hail, Holy Queen

Our Life, our sweetness, our hope? :eek: I have a problem with this in regards to Mary. Not so much the sweetness part, but our Life and our Hope??? That seems to me to be elevating Mary to the same place as our Lord. I’m sure I’m misundertanding or misinterpreting this, (I hope), but some good Catholic answers would be helpful.:smiley:

TIA,
oneseeker

Have you ever thought of your mother like:

• she is your life? I love her til death?
  • she is your hope to get something for you, to ask something for you? to pray for you?
  • she is the sweetest pie on earth? :smiley:

If you do, does that mean she is as equal as God?
Of course not.

Jesus is The Way, The Truth, and The Life, but to me, my husband and children are my life, sweetness, and hope.

So I have no problem with looking at Mary as a human example of Christianity.

Why are such things as ‘life’ and ‘hope’ the exclusive domain of God alone? Don’t your parents give you life when they create your body? So in that sense couldn’t you call them ‘your life’ as well? Wouldn’t you call the one doctor in the world who knows how to treat some rare illness your ‘hope’ as well, if you suffered from it?

Clearly these are not qualities or epithets that belong to Christ alone, although they do belong to him in a supreme measure. It pleases him to grant others a share in these qualities of his. And who more so than his blessed Mother, closest to him of all humanity?

‘Our Hope’ also refers to her life of sinlessness and her Assumption into Heaven. Which is what we hope for ourselves.

She is our LIFE because she is our Heavenly Mother. I always viewed this one as an affirmation of Jesus’ command from the Cross: Woman, behold thy son. Just as my earthly mother gave me life, so does my Heavenly mother. My earthly mother was the vessel for God to create my soul and body, my Heavenly mother prays for that soul and body, and channels God’s graces into it.

The SWEETNESS part you said you were fine with, so I’ll move on.

Well, I can HOPE that I, even for one instant in my entire life, demonstrate the faith, obedience, humility, charity, and love that our Lady did. So, in that respect, she certainly IS my hope. She is my hope that in heaven, we all shed the selfish acpects of our human nature and reveal the beauty underneath- just as our Lady did.

Never having the “allergy” to our Lady that many of my fellow Protestant converts did, I never had a problem with this prayer, but I was also an English teacher and can more than understand the use of hyperbole in love poetry, which the Hail, Holy Queen is an example of.

Cheers,
Cari

Hello … I’m not a Catholic so I’ll be talking strictly from the true words of Christ and the Apostles …

We are all FORBIDDEN to pray to statues of dead people. We are also FORBIDDEN to construe a DISCIPLE OF CHRIST as a god or goddess. It’s called idolatry and is listed as the First Commandment. Take a look … from the New King James …

Deuteronomy 20:3-5:
You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image IN THE FORM OF ANYTHING …You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God.

The young girl’s name was Miriam - not Mary. If Miriam were a god, she would never have needed a Savior. Take a look …

Luke 1: 46
And Mary said: “ My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit has rejoiced in God MY SAVIOR.

Here’s the bottom line … Only the Son of God has EARNED THE RIGHT to hear our prayers and confessions because He was crucified and then glorified. He said “All power has been given to Me.” And that doesn’t include young Miriam.

Furthermore, if Mary were a god then the Prophets Abraham, Moses, David, Isaiah and countless others would have prophesied of “her coming” hundreds of year earlier. But no, they only prophesied about the Man from Galilee. May Proverbs 10:22 rest on your house today and forever. .

Well, then it’s a good thing that we don’t think of Mary as a goddess, nor worship statues, isn’t it?

Ah, some ranting from the Peanut Gallery, I see.

First of all,
we Catholics do NOT regard Mary as a god or a goddess.

Every Christian has the RIGHT to pray for their fellow Christians, whether YOU like it or not. That includes Mary, the First and Best Christian. And she DOES pray for us (even for you), and that, whether you like it or not.

And by the way, we Catholics have the TRUE interpretation of the words of Christ and the apostles. Your views began after the 16th century A.D.

God bless,
Jaypeeto3

I thought by now most Protestants and Catholics don’t believe Mary is God. There must be someone out there who keeps circulating this false about Catholics…hmmm.

There must be someone out there who keeps circulating this false about Catholics…hmmm.

Yes, there is someone.
His name is Jack Chick,
and all the fundie preachers who imbibe his swill.

Jaypeeto3

So who said Mariam was a god? She is the Mother of God and Jesus is the last of the Davidic line of Kings. If one checks ot the OT we see a person, often named, who is the Queen Mother of the Davidic King. The Queen Mother is recognized as someone who can intercede for a petitioner to the King. As a truly human being on the other hand and unlike Jesus who is true God and true Man, she is the prime and perhaps the only example of a humble, holy person who has been bodily assumed into heaven. The rest of us have to wait for the resurrection. As one who has “made it,” she truly represents our hope for the same end. Do you ask friends and relatives to pray for you? Why if as stated you pray only to God? By the way there are more than one form of prayer and all prayers are not worship or adoration.

It does not say, only, that Mary, the Mother of God (Incarnate- Jesus) IS our life, sweetness, our hope.

It says,

Hail Holy Queen
***MOTHER ***of our life, our sweetness and our hope…

Who is the source of your life Jesus?
Who is your sweetness but Jesus?
Who do you place your hope in but Jesus?

Mary is His mother, so Mary is the Mother of our Life (Jesus), Mother of our Sweetness (Jesus), and Mother of our Hope(Jesus).

Amen. So be it.

You need to study Catholic theology before coming here and making a mess of yourself. Listen, there are Protestants here who are thoughtful, kind and considerate, they have also done their homework and know how to have an intelligent conversation.

They may not agree with Catholic theolgy, but they are considerate and I give them high marks for that So, put down the Chick tracts for awhile, dig into the Cathecism of the church as well as church history, then come back and dialouge, perhaps then someone will take you seriously.

Peace in Christ,

Ahhhhh, kerren, from your very own words, you prove Catholics right!!!

Mary rejoices in God, her Savior - not, God Who will be her Savior. According to Luke, Mary has already been saved!!! You’ve just laid the foundation for Mary being born without Sin and remained sinless.

Thank you for enlightening us!!! I’m so glad you joined this thread, for I’ve heard that phrase a million times, and never saw it in this light til you so charitably (I might add) shoved it in our face!

God Bless you, and may Mary add a quick plea for you as well!

To all the other Catholics on this thread. Let’s give Kerren the benefit of the doubt and understand that she innocently thinks we are idol worshippers.

If you thought someone was doing something against God’s word, wouldn’t you like to gently nudge them in the right direction.

Now, Kerren’s attitude aside, she is trying to do the Lord’s Will, so a little Christian Charity may be in order!

God Bless us all!!!

And Kerren, just for you, I’m going to ask Mary to add a second prayer for your comfort.

kerren1, we expect (and generally get) a higher level of discourse here between Catholics and Protestants. Something a little more nuanced than “I’m not Catholic so therefore I’ve got the true words of Christ and the Apostles”.

‘gently nudge’ being the operative word - not full frontal offense.

Yes, of course, but what if I said I expect more from members of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church? :wink:

Besides, Mary would want you to do treat them with kindness. (double - ;))

Everyone watch, come one come all, as I waste my time responding to the one post wonder!!!

as a non catholic, you have no authority whatsoever to speak on the behalf of the apostles, and the only authority you have to speak on behalf of Christ comes from the little portion you have taken from the scriptures which were compiled and protected by the Catholic church. You’re welcome for that, by the way.

We are all FORBIDDEN to pray to statues of dead people. We are also FORBIDDEN to construe a DISCIPLE OF CHRIST as a god or goddess. It’s called idolatry and is listed as the First Commandment. Take a look … from the New King James …

KJV is a terrible translation which is practically fraudulent in it’s errors. Either way there are two points to be made: the ACTUAL commandment doesn’t condemn statues of dead people (I will get to this in a minute), and Catholics don’t think of anyone as a god except the Triune God in the persons of the Holy Spirit, God the Father, and Christ Jesus, our Blessed Sacrifice.

Deuteronomy 20:3-5:
You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image IN THE FORM OF ANYTHING …You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God.

modifying the words of the bible to suit one’s own ends should be a sin, in my opinon. The appropriate verbiage of the bible here commands that the faithful shall not make graven images AND bow to them in worship. Obviously, anything made in the likeness of something else, even a photograph, is a graven image. That is why the understanding is so important that idol worship includes the word WORSHIP (the operative part which makes worshiping graven images wrong)

The young girl’s name was Miriam - not Mary. If Miriam were a god, she would never have needed a Savior. Take a look …

Luke 1: 46
And Mary said: “ My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit has rejoiced in God MY SAVIOR.

yes yes yes, you’re quoting OUR book and OUR doctrine to us. Mary was saved by Christ, we all know that. Her immaculate conception was made possible by the once and FOR ALL TIME salvific act of the Christ.

Here’s the bottom line … Only the Son of God has EARNED THE RIGHT to hear our prayers and confessions because He was crucified and then glorified. He said “All power has been given to Me.” And that doesn’t include young Miriam.

No, Here’s the bottom line… Christ doesn’t EARN the right to anything, and HOW DARE YOU judge what Christ the Lord has and has not earned? That is the HIEGHT of arrogance and insult. Second, your understanding of the difference between the definition of “to pray” and “to worship” is pity inspiring. If the only thing you have in your repertoire of worship tools is prayer, you need to come home to the Church, where we worship God in fulness of all His sacraments. Third, Mary doesn’t hear confessions. Fourth, no where in the bible or the original works of the apostles does it say ANYTHING about prayer being directed ONLY to God.

Furthermore, if Mary were a god then the Prophets Abraham, Moses, David, Isaiah and countless others would have prophesied of “her coming” hundreds of year earlier. But no, they only prophesied about the Man from Galilee. May Proverbs 10:22 rest on your house today and forever. .

I guess it’s a good thing that Mary isn’t God and catholics don’t believe so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.