Hail Holy Queen

Our prayer for those whose hearts are hardened to Our Blessed Mother’s Role in Christendom:

When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own. Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled said: I thirst. Jn 19:26-28.

May all become like the disciple whom Jesus loved, and take His Mother as their own.

Hail Holy Queen enthroned above, O Maria!
Hail Queen of Heaven and of Love, O Maria!

Triumph all ye Cherubim
Sing with us ye Seraphim
Heaven and Earth resound the Hymn
Salve, Salve, Salve Regina!

To thee we cry, poor sons of Eve, O Maria!
To thee we sigh, we mourn, we grieve, O Maria!
Our life, our sweetness here below, O Maria!
Our hope in sorrow and in woe, O Maria!

Triumph all ye Cherubim
Sing with us ye Seraphim

Oh gentle Loving Holy One, O Maria!
The God of Light became your Son, O Maria!
The cause of joy to us below, O Maria!
The Spring through which all graces flow, O Maria!

Angels, all your praises bring,
Earth and Heaven, with us sing,
All Creation echoing

O Mother of God, O Mother of God, O Mary!

Why would you pray such a prayer like this if the scriptures never attribute such characteristics to her?

Which of these attributes don’t belong to Mary? I don’t understand where you are coming from.:shrug:

Why call God a co-equal, co-eternal and indivisible trinity when the Scripture never attributes this characteristic to Him?

At best you can make a case for Duality (Christ + the Father) from scripture - nowhere does it suggest the Trinity in the way we understand it.

newadvent.org/library/docs_pi12ac.htm

Ad Caeli Reginam

His Holiness Pope Pius XII
Encyclical on Proclaiming the Queenship of Mary
Promulgated October 11, 1954

Maybe this will help explain it. plus here’s the dogma of the Assumption. vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-xii_apc_19501101_munificentissimus-deus_en.html

How about this from the first part of the prayer-hymn:
Hail Holy Queen enthroned above, O Maria!
Hail Queen of Heaven and of Love, O Maria!

Triumph all ye Cherubim
Sing with us ye Seraphim

If you read all that the New Testament says about Mary, you will never find this kind of thing being said about her. Keep in mind that it is only in the NT that we know of her. These are the only facts we have about her and none of those facts ever make or say such a thing about her like this prayer-hymn claims.

LilyM;2753942]Why call God a co-equal, co-eternal and indivisible trinity when the Scripture never attributes this characteristic to Him?

There is plenty in scripture that can be used to support these characteristics. There are none for many of the claims about Mary.

At best you can make a case for Duality (Christ + the Father) from scripture - nowhere does it suggest the Trinity in the way we understand it.

Another topic for another time.

It does and its deeply troubling.

That the Holy Spirit is co-equal (in power and dignity) and co-eternal with Father and Son but yet a distinct person of the Trinity? As opposed to just an attribute of the Father and/or Son? Do elaborate :slight_smile:

Another thread if you please.

How so?

Here are a few quotes that i find extremely troubling:
19. Likewise St. Germanus speaks to the humble Virgin in these words: “Be enthroned, Lady, for it is fitting that you should sit in an exalted place since you are a Queen and glorious above all kings.”[21] He likewise calls her the “Queen of all of those who dwell on earth.”[22]

1. She is called by St. John Damascene: “Queen, ruler, and lady,”[23] and also “the Queen of every creature.”[24] Another ancient writer of the Eastern Church calls her “favored Queen,” “the perpetual Queen beside the King, her son,” whose “snow-white brow is crowned with a golden diadem.”[25]

2. And finally St. Ildephonsus of Toledo gathers together almost all of her titles of honor in this salutation: “O my Lady, my Sovereign, You who rule over me, Mother of my Lord . . . Lady among handmaids, Queen among sisters.”[26]

3. The theologians of the Church, deriving their teaching from these and almost innumerable other testimonies handed down long ago, have called the most Blessed Virgin the Queen of all creatures, the Queen of the world, and the Ruler of all.

What is troubling is that the Scriptures never speak of her like this.

That’s probably because Mary would never have allowed anyone to talk about her that way when she was still on Earth:p

Those references sound more peotic than theological.

Pope JPII had a particular Marian devotion- In case you never heard, he placed the bulllet that almost killed him in the crown of a statue of Mary, crediting his survival to her intercession.

What is troubling is that the Scriptures never speak of her like this.

That’s because Scripture is not the sole authority, when will Protestants learn. :rolleyes:

Revelation 12:1:

A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.

Sounds like the Queen of Heaven to me. And if she isn’t the Mother of Mercy and of Love, then Jesus isn’t Mercy and Love. But John tells us: Deus Caritas Est: God is Love.

All quite Scriptural!

“And then He said to the disciple, 'son, behold thy Mother.”

:thumbsup:

Gen 3: 15:

I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel. (Douay Reims)

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; He will strike at your head, while you strike at his heel. (NAB)

. . that we know of her by her NAME.

All of Israel was eagerly awaiting the virgin of David’s Royal line who was to be the mother of the Saviour.

CCC #489 Throughout the Old Covenant the mission of many holy women prepared for that of Mary. At the very beginning there was Eve; despite her disobedience, she receives the promise of a posterity that will be victorious over the evil one, as well as the promise that she will be the mother of all the living.128 By virtue of this promise, Sarah conceives a son in spite of her old age.129 Against all human expectation God chooses those who were considered powerless and weak to show forth his faithfulness to his promises: Hannah, the mother of Samuel; Deborah; Ruth; Judith and Esther; and many other women.130 Mary "stands out among the poor and humble of the Lord, who confidently hope for and receive salvation from him. After a long period of waiting the times are fulfilled in her, the exalted Daughter of Sion, and the new plan of salvation is established."131 .

128 Cf. Gen 3:15, 20.
129 Cf. Gen 18:10-14; 21:1-2.
130 Cf. I Cor 1:17; I Sam 1.
131 LG 55.

Jesus said, *“Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled, and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted,” *

In praying the Magnificat Mary shows us her deep humility. Even after the death and Resurrection she remained in the background so that the early Church would focus on Jesus, not develop a “cult” around her. This is obvious in the absence of writings by the evangelists regarding Mary, even though the early Church honoured her very much.

It is only fitting that now, as she is reunited with her Son, Christ the King, Lord of Heaven and Earth, we should exalt her.

Professor Scott Hahn, the renowned convert, has an audio series based on his book Hail Holy Queen I believe, here …ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=6668&T1=

I urge the OP (& others) to listen to this series for a better understanding of the theology regarding Mary.

Excuse me, Eileen T,

but I am the OP. Do you think that my understanding of Our Blessed MOther is lacking?

One of the glories of Mary is that she reigns in heaven, Queen of angels and of men. Her sovereignty is founded on her Divine Maternity and her unique part in our redemption, as Pope Pius XII says: “As Christ, the new Adam, must be called King not merely because He is the Son of God, but also because He is our Redeemer, so, analogously, the Most Blessed Virgin Mary is Queen not only because she is the Mother of God, but also because, as the New Eve, she was associated with the new Adam.” The constant belief of the Church in Mary’s sovereignty is manifest in the glorious mysteries of the rosary and was crowned with new recognition on November 1, 1954, when Pius XII instituted the litugical feast of the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

On account of her utterly singular position, her matchless dignity, and the part she played in the salvation of men, Mary is accorded religious honor. That honor, however, is essentially less than the adoration paid to God but of a higher type than the honor given to any angel or holy man. Some heretics accuse the Church of giving Mary divine honor and refusae to credit her when she says that she carefully distinguishes between the worship due to God and the honor paid to Mary. Be it so. But it is a sure sign of orthodoxy to know by instinct the right thing to say of Mary, just as it is characteristic of heresy to fear Mary and be unwilling to render her what God expects she should have.

Wow, this post really helps me understand where you are coming from. Thanks! Catholics believe that the Old Testament is also God’s inspired Word. Much of what Catholics believe about Mary is contained within the Old Testament in the form of “types”. This includes the Immaculate Conception, Mary’s Queenship (like Soloman’s Queen Mother) and Assumption. It is clear that you don’t agree with the Church’s interpretation of OT scripture and that is your business. But don’t think that there is no scriptural basis for Catholic dogma regarding Mary. It is just not all found in the NT.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.