Hail Mary Changed?

At an assembly the Catholic Priest lead us through a decade on the Rosary. He instructed us to insert the words WHO DIED FOR US between the two parts of the Hail Mary.

It went like this:

Hail Mary, full of Grace,
the Lord is with you.
blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus

WHO DIED FOR US

Holy Mary, mother of God,
pray for us, now and at the hour of our death.

** When did the prayer change?**

Is it OK to modify the Hail Mary?

dhgray,

The Hail Mary has not changed.

But when the Holy Father wrote his letter on the rosary, he suggested this form to help with meditation on the mysteries. With the 5th Sorrowful mystery you could pray the Hail Mary as you described. This applies to ALL the mysteries. So with the 3rd joyful mystery, you could (but are not required to) pray:

Blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus, who was born of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

It is a custom in some European countries during the rosary, to add after Jesus, a phrase relating to the mystery. This was done in the rosary prayed by the Pope in Lourdes last month.

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]It is a custom in some European countries during the rosary, to add after Jesus, a phrase relating to the mystery. This was done in the rosary prayed by the Pope in Lourdes last month.
[/quote]

There are many versions of the Hail Mary.

Here is the one I use.

Hail, Mother of God, Virgin Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb; for you gave birth to Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of out souls.

I believe this is the eastern version. It is found in the Byzantine Book of Prayer put out by Byzantine Seminary Press.

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]It is a custom in some European countries during the rosary, to add after Jesus, a phrase relating to the mystery.
[/quote]

I’ve been recently praying my Rosaries in this fashion. It keeps the mind from wandering and places the focus on Jesus, using the prayers to Mary.

I’ve been working on making a list of phrases to be used for each mystery so that I can recount the story of the event to myself as I recite the Rosary. Thus, when saying the Sorrowful mysteries, I might use the events of the Stations of the Cross when praying in the fourth decade, which is “Jesus takes up His cross.”

And after reciting the upcoming mystery at the end of a decade, I then recite the old Stations of the Cross ejaculation: “We adore you O Christ and we praise You because by Your Holy Cross You have redeemed the world.”

It works wonderfully!

Another method to alter your Rosary prayer would be to pray the Our Father, concentrating on the seven petitions of which it is composed. Thus:

Our Father, who are in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name (pause and meditate for a few seconds);
Thy Kingdom come (pause, etc.);
Thy Will be done on earth as it is in heaven (pause, etc.);
Give us this day our daily bread (pause, etc.);
And forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who trespass against us (pause, etc.);
Lead us not into temptation (pause, etc.);
But deliver us from evil (pause, etc.);
Amen.

It has made the Rosary into a very meaningful prayer for me.

The Ave Maria could never change! However, I do use this prayer method when praying the rosary. I use this during the 5th sorrowful mystery to contemplate what Christ did.

Wow, the things one learns here!
I wonder if those phrases are available in the Latin (now and then I like to pray the rosary in Latin). Is this the letter you mean, that the Pope wrote about the rosary? <<>>

Looks like I’ll have some reading to do this afternoon!

The wisdom of the Holy Father is truly above all measure! What a wonderful difference it has made to my recitation of the Holy Rosary. My mind is kept very focused and I also find it very helpful to change the phrase at each Hail Mary in the decade. it focuses me on the entire mystery.

I love it.
Thanks to our Holy Father John Paul II for he has ceertainly helped enrich my prayer life.

Often, when I pray the rosary (privately), I will add a little phrase or something, after the name of Jesus, that pertains to the mystery, to help me meditate on that mystery while I am praying the Hail Mary’s.

For example: for the 2nd sorrowful mystery “who was scougaged at the pillar.”

:yup:

:amen:

Here’s a version which is somewhat similar David posted:

Rejoice, O Virgin Mother of God, Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for you have borne the Savior of our souls.

Dear friends

Why mess with something when it isn’t broken?

A person could embellish the present Hail Mary with many a line regarding the life of Christ Jesus and His Blessed Virgin Mother Mary, but that won’t help one single soul be better able to pray and enter into the mysteries of the Rosary. No single soul can meditate or pray better than their will surrendered to the interior stirrings of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer is a gift, all of it and we can come up with many methods, formulas and embellishments to that gifted from heaven, but ultimately all of them are redundant if the human will is not surrendered to God’s Will. Then the heart is open to the Divine mysteries, then the heart can take into itself by the grace of God.

A soul can read Sacred Scripture a million times and not see in the heart what is written there, it does not enter into the heart. But by the grace of God, one fair day, the Lord illuminates that Sacred Scripture and it leaps off the page alive to that soul. That is Divine insights, that is meditation and that only occurs with the gift of wisdom and understanding from the Holy Spirit.

So rather than embellish and frustrate ourselves with such things as human ideas of what should take place, we should pray for the gift of wisdom and understanding to the Holy Spirit.

Pray, it is simple, just pray and pray unceasingly.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

How about a Scriptural Rosary, where a line of Scripture that pertains to the mystery being prayed precedes each Hail Mary. I really enjoy saying that, too.

NotWorthy

[quote=NotWorthy]How about a Scriptural Rosary, where a line of Scripture that pertains to the mystery being prayed precedes each Hail Mary. I really enjoy saying that, too.

NotWorthy
[/quote]

Dear friend

Yes, great. But it won’t enter into your heart unless you ask God for the gift of wisdom and understanding to develop in your heart.It has to enter into the heart for it to change your life, what is in the mind simply exists as in the mind, but that journey from mind to heart is a long haul. All is gift.

Pray that you may pray and meditate and that it be alive in your heart and change your life, thus bearing fruit. God’s gifts are not to be merely enjoyed by ourselves alone. Nothing exists by pure gift from God for it to not bear fruit, it must pass, flow through you to others.

Teresa

[quote=springbreeze]Dear friends
Why mess with something when it isn’t broken?
[/quote]

[quote=CatholicSamurai]The Ave Maria could never change!
[/quote]

The “Hail Mary” has flip flopped and changed all throughout it’s long history. This happens to be one of it’s unique qualities. Originally only the first clause (part) was considered the prayer as such, and that really only dates from around the 11th century; so for 1000 years of Catholic Christianity the prayer was hardly known.

Hail Mary full of grace, The Lord is with thee, blessed is the Fruit of thy womb (Jesus or Christ Jesus added later).

The “holy Mary mother of God pray for us…” clause was a separate tag, which could easily rotate with other phrases, and did in earlier days. This is also evidenced by the common version from the East as explained in other posts here.

As in all prayer, it should come from our hearts and that means it should be malleable and could be adapted in any effective way.

[quote=Hesychios]The “Hail Mary” has flip flopped and changed all throughout it’s long history. This happens to be one of it’s unique qualities. Originally only the first clause (part) was considered the prayer as such, and that really only dates from around the 11th century; so for 1000 years of Catholic Christianity the prayer was hardly known.

Hail Mary full of grace, The Lord is with thee, blessed is the Fruit of thy womb (Jesus or Christ Jesus added later).

The “holy Mary mother of God pray for us…” clause was a separate tag, which could easily rotate with other phrases, and did in earlier days. This is also evidenced by the common version from the East as explained in other posts here.

As in all prayer, it should come from our hearts and that means it should be malleable and could be adapted in any effective way.
[/quote]

Dear friend

You are right. However this prayer of the Hail Mary has now existed for a 1000 years or so and to change it so people may enter into the Sacred Mysteries is overlooking who grants Insights into those Sacred Mysteries! What was posted doesn’t even appeal to the Mother of God for help into Sacred Scripture, the Mother who we should pray to more and in the Rosary prays with us.

No Hail Mary or Our Father is any match for the prayer sincerely and contritely spoken out from our hearts to God. The prayers of our own hearts are greater than any of these.

What my reply pertains to is that in some vain hope of drawing people into the mysteries this is hoped to be achieved by long prayers and adding or indeed subtracting to and from the Hail Mary in order to draw souls into the Sacred Mysteries, when in Truth, the Gifts of the Holy Spirit will only do this.

So pray for wisdom and understanding when meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary rather than try to find a ‘good’ formula to excede that which is gifted from God!

I can see so much human wisdom abounds in pride (it isn’t broken therefore no need to mend it; rather it us us that is broken and need to ask for Graces) but not that of spirit…simply ask ‘Good Teacher, teach me’

Teresa

Im not trying to split hairs here, but this addition does not make sense. The Hail Mary is addressed to Mary. It does not make sense to add " who was born of the Blessed Virgin Mary" when it is Mary that we are addressing in the first place. Why cant we just say it the way Mary gave it to us. It just doesnt sound grammatically correct.

[quote=springbreeze]Dear friend

You are right. However this prayer of the Hail Mary has now existed for a 1000 years or so and to change it so people may enter into the Sacred Mysteries is overlooking who grants Insights into those Sacred Mysteries!
[/quote]

Yes! The Holy Spirit!

What was posted doesn’t even appeal to the Mother of God for help into Sacred Scripture, the Mother who we should pray to more and in the Rosary prays with us.

What? I don’t want to put words in your mouth so I invite you to clarify this point. The “Hail Mary” wasn’t in this exact form for as much as 1000 years, if that is your claim you are mistaken. People have been adapting their prayers continually since apostolic times, and composing new ones constantly.

I can see the value in adapting the prayer as needed.

No Hail Mary or Our Father is any match for the prayer sincerely and contritely spoken out from our hearts to God. The prayers of our own hearts are greater than any of these.

I agree that any extemperaneous prayer will be acceptable to God, who knows the content of our hearts.

What my reply pertains to is that in some vain hope of drawing people into the mysteries this is hoped to be achieved by long prayers and adding or indeed subtracting to and from the Hail Mary in order to draw souls into the Sacred Mysteries, when in Truth, the Gifts of the Holy Spirit will only do this.

I don’t know how you can say this. If people seek to delve deeper into the mysteries they should. If their goal is to become closer to God in some interior way I would say they should do just that. These interpolations are not anything new really, Christians have always done things like this.

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matt 7:7-8

[font=Arial][size=2]People are looking for little helpful hints in deepening their prayer life and becoming more conscious of the mysteries, I say if opening up the current common Hail Mary and dropping in a phrase helps they ought to [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2]happil[/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2]y do just that.
[/font][/size]

So pray for wisdom and understanding when meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary rather than try to find a ‘good’ formula to excede that which is gifted from God!

You may think I am into “formulas”. I’m not. I am all for practical ways to help a person grow in Faith. What precisely are you pointing out as gifted from God? I mean besides everything?

We are discussing a prayer rule and any adaptation of the prayer rule that helps the believer is fine so long as it does not approach some heretical concept. (I can’t imagine why it would)

I can see so much human wisdom abounds in pride (it isn’t broken therefore no need to mend it; rather it us us that is broken and need to ask for Graces) but not that of spirit…simply ask ‘Good Teacher, teach me’

I hate to admit this, but I’m not at all sure what you are trying to convey in this post overall. I don’t actually know what you mean by pride in relation to a “Hail Mary” Perhaps some day I’ll reread this and figure it all out.

Teresa

God bless you too! :slight_smile:

[quote=Tantum ergo]Wow, the things one learns here!
I wonder if those phrases are available in the Latin (now and then I like to pray the rosary in Latin). Is this the letter you mean, that the Pope wrote about the rosary? <<>>

Looks like I’ll have some reading to do this afternoon!
[/quote]

A Latin Rosarium.

tee

[quote=joshua1]Im not trying to split hairs here, but this addition does not make sense. The Hail Mary is addressed to Mary. It does not make sense to add " who was born of the Blessed Virgin Mary" when it is Mary that we are addressing in the first place. Why cant we just say it the way Mary gave it to us. It just doesnt sound grammatically correct.
[/quote]

You are right, it’s not grammatically correct, it is also redundant in a curious sort of way.

It addresses Mary in the first person and then refers to her in the third person as if she were someone else.

+T+
Michael

The Hail Mary remains the same. Unfortunately, some people believe that their few decades of wisdom far out weigh centuries worth of wisdom.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.