"Hail Mary Uses Quotes from Scripture," an account

People don’t realize how the prayer, the Hail Mary, comes from quotes from Scripture.
see www.guampdn.com/article/20131209/OPINION02/312090015?odyssey=mod%7Cmustcom

That was a well written article. Thanks for posting it.
Mary.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:1, topic:347556"]
People don't realize how the prayer, the Hail Mary, comes from quotes from Scripture.

[/quote]

I didn't like the last part, but the rest was okay.

John 2:3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine. "

4 And Jesus said to her, "Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come. "

5 His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you. "

I like when Catholics use this as an example of Mary pointing to Jesus but one of the last sentences made me feel uncomfortable:

"She expects Jesus to do her bidding and he does."

Jesus was merciful and will do what ever is asked because He came to serve. I don't like the wording "do her bidding" as if the context says that at all, take a look:

Matthew 15:22 And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon. "

23 But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying out after us. "

24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25 But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me. "

26 And he answered, "It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs. "

To say that this woman had some type of control over her Lord for Him to see her Faith and do as she asks is very far from the truth. Mary did not command Jesus, nor did she ignore Him and expect Him to do her "bidding" rather, He went out of His way as He always does due to the faith of others and His grace.

I agree with dronald.

It is not right to say that Mary expected Jesus to do her bidding.

The interpretation of Mary understanding what Jesus said to mean is also not correct.

This is the scenario I see:

The Virgin Mary tells Jesus the sad facts about the Wedding’s wine running out.

Jesus’ reply is a test of Faith for Mary in that He doesn’t answer her question, but instead states the facts of their own responsibility for this “problem.” (Rather like the test dronald has mentioned regarding the Canaanite woman.) Mary, in steadfast Faith, believes that her Son will help in any event, and so the rest of the story unfolds.

But in defense of the article, it is a true reason for going to the Virgin Mary for intercession. After all, had Mary not said anything, it is plain to see that nothing would have been done about the wine at the wedding. Therefore, sometimes it IS necessary to go through Mary.

Some may object and say well we can go directly to Jesus. Ah, but at the wedding, no one would have THOUGHT that such a thing was possible. Only the Virgin Mary knew what was possible because of her deep knowledge of her Son, that no one else on earth either then or since then has ever had. :wink:

I think more of an argument for the intercession of Mary is the model of the Queen Mother found in the Davidic Kingdom

agapebiblestudy.com/documents/mary%20the%20queen%20mother%20of%20the%20new%20davidic%20kingdom.htm

[quote="mdgspencer, post:1, topic:347556"]
People don't realize how the prayer, the Hail Mary, comes from quotes from Scripture.

[/quote]

The entire Rosary is Scriptural.

[quote="thistle, post:6, topic:347556"]
The entire Rosary is Scriptural.

[/quote]

Ironically, the only part of the Hail Mary that is not Scriptural is in the second part where we pray for the intercession of Mary now and at the hour of our death.

Originally, before the Reformation, Catholics ended the Hail Mary with "blessed is the fruit of thy womb."

This prayer was singled out for ridicule by the Reformers for not really being a prayer at all, but rather just a salutation. That is when the Church added the words Jesus to the first part, and the second part that starts with the "Holy Mary, Mother of God.."

I wonder how many Protestants will have the prayers of the Virgin Mother of God, throughout their life, and especially at the hour of their death?

[quote="AmbroseSJ, post:7, topic:347556"]
Ironically, the only part of the Hail Mary that is not Scriptural is in the second part where we pray for the intercession of Mary now and at the hour of our death.

Originally, before the Reformation, Catholics ended the Hail Mary with "blessed is the fruit of thy womb."

This prayer was singled out for ridicule by the Reformers for not really being a prayer at all, but rather just a salutation. That is when the Church added the words Jesus to the first part, and the second part that starts with the "Holy Mary, Mother of God.."

I wonder how many Protestants will have the prayers of the Virgin Mother of God, throughout their life, and especially at the hour of their death?

[/quote]

Although I understand this is about Mary at the foot of the Cross praying for her son at the hour of his death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.